A Major Organization Just Endorsed Human Genetic Modification

https://futurism.com/a-major-organiz...-modification/
    Sometime not necessarily too far from now, the first humans whose DNA has been intentionally edited by scientists could very likely be born.

The technologies that make that theoretically possible have existed for some time now and in the past few years, new discoveries have made genetic editing tools far simpler, cheaper, and more accurate — though they still aren’t precise enough to use safely on human embryos that will be carried to term.

Still, that reality is close enough that the scientists who work closely with these tools have said that guidelines for this research are urgently needed. And on February 14, the National Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Medicine issued a report that outlines the circumstances under which research into editing human embryos could be permitted.

“Although heritable germline genome editing trials must be approached with caution … caution does not mean prohibition,” the National Academy committee said in a statement.

That’s a big statement. Right now, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) prohibits any research that would include germline genome editing; a number of other countries also prohibit similar research.

These groups are hesitant because “heritable germline genome editing” is a world-changing sort of thing. It means that researchers would go into the unique genetic blueprint for a person before they are born and make changes and substitutions, snipping out code for traits they don’t want and potentially replacing them with something else. Then, all of these changes would be passed on if that person had children, meaning that we’d have introduced manually edited genes into the wild.

The National Academies panel convened to assess this is concluding that under certain circumstances, that may be okay.

Still, even if the panel thinks that research and trials into human genome editing should go forward, the cases for which they think this should be permitted are very limited, for now at least.

THE SORTS OF CHANGES WE MIGHT SEE
    After evaluating the issue for a year, the National Academies panel concluded that clinical trials involving inheritable changes to the genome could be allowed, so long as they treat or prevent genetic diseases that we have no other way of dealing with.

This could make a huge difference for the cases where it’s basically a certainty that parents will pass a devastating disease on to a child. Specific diseases that might fit this category include the blood disorder beta thalassemia, cystic fibrosis, and sickle-cell anemia. But those cases are very rare.

Perhaps more interestingly, the researchers leave open the possibility of using genetic editing to remove or replace mutations that make people susceptible to other diseases. They mention mutations of BRCA1 and BRCA2, which can increase risks for breast and ovarian cancers. Edits like that could help remove mutations that make people more likely to get many forms of cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and other conditions. This could have a far-rippling effect on human health in the long run.

If we get to the point that it’s possible to safely and completely remove these sorts of dangerous mutations, the conclusion the panel arrived at may allow for edits that prevent disease in this way. They don’t think this would be the same as making “enhancements,” which they say should not be allowed at this time, though they call for public discussion of those possibilities.

Still, there are obstacles to overcome before this happens. For now it’s hard to apply a genetic editing tool (like CRISPR) to an early embryo and have it make all the changes to a genome that you want (and no unwanted extra changes). When you let that editing tool loose it seeks out the segments of DNA you are targeting to eliminate or replace, but it may miss some of those segments or accidentally cut something else. These tools are becoming more and more accurate, but they aren’t good enough that scientists would feel comfortable implanting an edited embryo yet.

Even once those tools are perfected, the panel is saying a go-ahead with trials seems permissible. It is not recommending that this technology should immediately go into wide use. Plus, the FDA would have to allow these sorts of procedures for this to happen in the US and it’s unclear if that will happen anytime in the near future.

The basic implication of this is clear though. We know that these tools are improving and we’re using them more and more. In some places, like Sweden, the UK, and China, researchers have already started editing (or have received permission to edit) embryos — some viable, some not, but none that they plan to implant yet. All of this will further improve the accuracy of these tools, to the point it may at some point be possible to make all the changes to a genome that we want with no unwanted side effects.

Once that’s done, the first “designed” babies could — or will — be born. If all goes well and these guidelines are followed, they’ll be healthier and free of a disease that could or would have been devastating.

The question that many have is whether we’ll see edits that happen for other purposes, to make babies smarter or stronger, not just healthier. The research the committee wants to allow wouldn’t permit those sorts of changes. But it would prove that they are indeed possible.
    There have and are presently certain taboos on genetic modification, classical literature such as Frankenstein and the Island of Dr. Moreau often preached against tampering with nature (despite us having tampered and modified the Earth for thousands of years, but I digress).

Science however, doesn't operate off on any form of subjective human morality and now that we've sufficiently advanced to where gene editing is viable, we have to embrace our technological and transgenic future.

Can we call this process Intelligent Design just to fuck with our descendants years from now?
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    So long as it is safe (does not harm the organism), and tested, this should be done and available as an option for everyone. There should be some projections done on how it will affect the species though. Long term, small changes can add up to be very big things (both good, and/or bad)
    How can we ever know it will be safe to use eugenics in this way? Are we able to predict all of our biological evolution via eugenics in the present?

That said, most people will be against this for only one reason - purposely manipulating human biology that has no way to say "I agree" is morally abhorrent to them.

But if you actually think about that stance, when people have sex and conceive a child, they ARE purposely manipulating human biology that has no way to say "I agree".
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-02-23 at 09:10 PM.

There are models that can be used. One that is exciting is quantum system models, that can do a lot of data crunching going through infinite probabilities, all at the same time, thank to how qubits work.
    Nope. People do not have the ability to predict all of infinity as of now. So right now, safety can not be assured.

due to lack of processing power
    Nope. It's due to the lack of all variables. We will never know what it is that we don't know. All things will be a gamble as to it's safety based on that.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-02-23 at 09:20 PM.

Ok, if you believe that, do not get your genes modified. I do not think people are forcing you. But your mistrust should not prevent me from doing as I will to my own body.
    Of course. I agree. I stated opposition would come from manipulating human life that is not your own. (IE: fertilized human eggs)

How about a big fat NO?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Can we call this process Intelligent Design just to fuck with our descendants years from now?
    That would imply we are doing it "intelligently". We're more likely doing it for big tits.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Ok, if you believe that, do not get your genes modified. I do not think people are forcing you. But your mistrust should not prevent me from doing as I will to my own body.
    What kind of modification do you have in mind? Curing genetic diseases or boosting various human attributes? For the latter, see the upper post of mine.

This in the OP...this is wisdom.
    After evaluating the issue for a year, the National Academies panel concluded that clinical trials involving inheritable changes to the genome could be allowed, so long as they treat or prevent genetic diseases that we have no other way of dealing with.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2017-02-23 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    What kind of modification do you have in mind? Curing genetic diseases or boosting various human attributes? For the latter, see the upper post of mine.
    People already boost their own human attributes via machines. Robotic arms, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

treat or prevent genetic diseases that we have no other way of dealing with.

This in the OP...this is wisdom.
    Not when the only way we have to deal with them is harmful, such as poison for cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    People already boost their own human attributes via machines. Robotic arms, etc.
    That does not create a permanent effect.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, I look forward to Human Genetic, Biomechanical and Cybernetic modification.

The sooner the better.

That does not create a permanent effect.
    Having sex and creating children without arms created a permanent effect that robotic arms are dealing with.

We can use science to improve our health, life span, intelligence, body capabilities and pretty much anything else about us!

The evil people in this world will always find a way to abuse new technology and inventions (from bows and dynamite to airplanes and computer software).

The only question is will we (the general populace) actually make sure that the new technology is also used for good, to help all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    We can use science to improve our health, life span, intelligence, body capabilities and pretty much anything else about us!

The evil people in this world will always find a way to abuse new technology and inventions (from bows and dynamite to airplanes and computer software).

The only question is will we (the general populace) actually make sure that the new technology is also used for good, to help all of us.
    You need dumb people in this world. Some are not smart enough to realize it.

You need dumb people in this world.
    Which is why the freedom to choose whom you have sex with is not outlawed.

Everyone here will be dead before this even becomes a thing for the populace.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Everyone here will be dead before this even becomes a thing for the populace.
    You would be surprise how fast tech advances.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You need dumb people in this world. Some are not smart enough to realize it.
    Dumb people are not in short supply though.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    That would imply we are doing it "intelligently". We're more likely doing it for big tits.
    Problem?

10char