The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Telescope help needed!

Hello everyone!

I was going to join a stargazing forum, And ask about this, But being an MMO-C user, I've seen how diverse people are on here, so thought I'd ask here first!

Basically, My 6year old bought a second hand telescope with his Xmas money, A Celestron Astromaster 130eq, But upon getting it home, I took out the eyepiece when something didn't seem right, To find it had been melted, (I'll attach a pic) I'm assuming it got left facing the sun, without a cover on and just baked itself, So I'm now looking for another eyepiece, It currently has a Celestron 20mm Erecting Eyepiece, that fits into a little 1.25" screw on bracket thing.

So, I'd like to know, Is it worth me replacing this one part, And fixing this telescope, Over buying him a new one, And what would you suggest, I've looked online and I'm confused by all the options, I'm looking to spend around £30, But depends on peoples opinions, I know I need a 1.25" diameter one, But the 10/15/20mm stuff I just don't get

Oh, and is there a risk that what caused the damage to the Eyepiece, caused other issues elsewhere? I've looked it over and can't see anything obvious, But I've no idea!

Lastly, Of course I mentioned all this to the person who sold it to us, And she refunded me, and told me to just keep the telescope anyway! As she couldn't be bothered selling a broken item

Thanks guys!

Firstly, I would get the Telescope checked out by someone at your local Stargazing club or even contact the local Observatory to see if
    they can check the Telescope out, before spending 30 ponds on an eyepiece.

You may find that they will be able to sell you an eyepiece. Or they could recommend an eyepiece for you.

ebay in the UK currently has a selection of eyepieces around your budget.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...piece&_sacat=0

But get the Telescope checked out first.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Firstly, I would get the Telescope checked out by someone at your local Stargazing club or even contact the local Observatory to see if
    they can check the Telescope out, before spending 30 ponds on an eyepiece.

You may find that they will be able to sell you an eyepiece. Or they could recommend an eyepiece for you.

ebay in the UK currently has a selection of eyepieces around your budget.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...piece&_sacat=0

But get the Telescope checked out first.
    Ok, Will do! Thanks