Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    It does.
    It shows you that religion is not the common factor in countries banning it, it are people who want to control others.
    So you're saying my home country, which is heavily influenced, both politically and socially, by buddhism, isn't banning it because of that influence? I'm skeptical of your claim.

Have you ever lived in a society where religion and politics are closely tied?
    Last edited by Moratori; 2017-02-25 at 05:19 PM.

Deleted
    You can't even swear on US media, so no.
    Yes, the inability to say the seven dirty words severely inhibits dialogue.

Deleted
    It shows you that religion is not the common factor in countries banning it, it are people who want to control others.
    They just often use religion as a tool.
    As the growth in alt-right might show you, religion is not the only method they can use.
    Eh i get your point, but its completely wrong here, Literally every single country that has severe restrictions on abortions do it solely because of religion.
    A wide variety of religions yes, but because of religions always.
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2017-02-25 at 05:31 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Yes, the inability to say the seven dirty words severely inhibits dialogue.
    It's 'totes the worst thing ever, way worse than not being able to say anything other than praise about an entire ideology and religion for fear of jail time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, yes, exactly. Your hurt feelings should have no power to put me, or any one else in prison. Feel free to try to hurt my feelings, or shame me. But anything else is illiberal.
    I'd be curious where the line is for Kangadoo. Me and some others once did a religious ritual in the woods which involved the burning of paper dolls made out of pages from a Koran and a Bible. A symbolic form of human sacrifice, kinda.

Which would win out? One religious groups ritual observances and offerings or the offense likely taken by Muslims, and maybe Christians?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    It's 'totes the worst thing ever, way worse than not being able to say anything other than praise about an entire ideology and religion for fear of jail time.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be curious where the line is for Kangadoo. Me and some others once did a religious ritual in the woods which involved the burning of paper dolls made out of pages from a Koran and a Bible. A symbolic form of human sacrifice, kinda.

Which would win out? One religious groups ritual observances and offerings or the offense likely taken by Muslims, and maybe Christians?
    The Bible doll was nice and progressive
    The Quran doll was Regressive and mean;(

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation

That is easy. You go use the progressive stack method. So that means Christians are right out. Now Muslims are almost certainly going to win, except perhaps if your group was composed of say, transsexual black females or something like that .
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    The Bible doll was nice and progressive
    The Quran doll was Regressive and mean;(
    Ah, its a case by case basis. :3

Got it.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    That is easy. You go use the progressive stack method. So that means Christians are right out. Now Muslims are almost certainly going to win, except perhaps if your group was composed of say, transsexual black females or something like that .
    Wait so I add points for the mixed race couple, how many points are halfies and such worth? What is a white female worth? Are Polynesians worth any spare points? Or do they have to be full blooded?

Damn, its worse than paying taxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait so I add points for the mixed race couple, how many points are halfies and such worth? What is a white female worth? Are Polynesians worth any spare points? Or do they have to be full blooded?

I think it depends on what you identify as, except of course if you are white male, then you are an oppressor who should be wiped out. Other than that, the more minorities you can identify yourself as, the more points.
    Last edited by Zoranon; 2017-02-25 at 05:46 PM.

make sure you itemized your recites, if the Quran was bought fair trade organic its 10% more points.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    Do you know what blasphemy is?

The United Nations Human Rights Committee made it clear through the release of General Comment 34 in 2011 that Blasphemy laws are incompatible with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). The ICCPR is binding on signatory nations. Those countries that have signed the ICCPR and still have blasphemy laws are in breach of their obligations under the ICCPR.

Prohibitions of displays of lack of respect for a religion or other belief system, including blasphemy laws, are incompatible with the Covenant, except in the specific circumstances envisaged in article 20, paragraph 2, of the Covenant. Such prohibitions must also comply with the strict requirements of article 19, paragraph 3, as well as such articles as 2, 5, 17, 18 and 26. Thus, for instance, it would be impermissible for any such laws to discriminate in favor of or against one or certain religions or belief systems, or their adherents over another, or religious believers over non-believers. Nor would it be permissible for such prohibitions to be used to prevent or punish criticism of religious leaders or commentary on religious doctrine and tenets of faith.

Denmark has signed this.
    Article 20, Paragraph 2;

2. Any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence shall be prohibited by law.
    I'm pretty sure that the situation where the defendant committed blasphemy fits into that definition, so in this particular case the blasphemy laws do not clash with the Covenant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    I think it depends on what you identify as, except of course if you are white male, then you are an oppressor who should be wiped out. Other than that, the more minorities you can identify yourself as, the more points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    make sure you itemized your recites, if the Quran was bought fair trade organic its 10% more points.
    I'm a white female BUT I don't speak English necessarily natively or as a first language. Is that any points?

And shit, I think the Koran was given out for free. No idea about those free points. D:

Being PC is so hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a white female BUT I don't speak English necessarily natively or as a first language. Is that any points?

And shit, I think the Koran was given out for free. No idea about those free points. D:

Being PC is so hard.
    Well we could put you in the foreign minority category for that, so yup bonus points. More bonus points for being a female, but a lot of minus points for being white.

7+ Year Old Account
    Can't be bothered with reading 11 pages of nonsense but:

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Burning books is not really about free speech.
    Perhaps not in Denmark, but in rational, modern societies, it actually is. Additionally, punishing someone for "blasphemy" inherently violates the religious freedom of the "blasphemer".

Actually, every basic law and every western constitution protects the right for religion. Which includes protecting its temples and holy book.
    "Freedom of religion" is protection from government (and discrimination). It does not, in any rational, civilized country, protect you from an individual's own religious (or anti/non-religious) expression.

One of the dumbest quotes ever.
    It basically says: "Fuck the feelings of other people."
    And that's not a world we would want to live in.
    No it isn't and no it doesn't. It points out the fact that offense is taken, not given and that "feelings" are not a protected class. Being offended at something is your right as an individual. Having people care that you're offended is not. The quote refers specifically, in context, to people who get offended at stupid shit.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-02-25 at 06:01 PM.

Deleted
    Blasphemy laws need to go to the age of the dodo. The man should be convicted of book burning, not blasphemy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    "Freedom of religion" is protection from government (and discrimination). It does not, in any rational, civilized country, protect you from an individual's own religious (or anti/non-religious) expression.
    But burning a book is no expression. It is just avoiding expressions and trying to burn ideas. If you want to counter ideas, find theories to debunk them, and not just repetition of the german nazis bücherverbrennung.

You cannot convince anyone by burning a book. Only good arguments are able to change opinions.

People dont learn from the past.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-02-25 at 06:00 PM.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Article 20, Paragraph 2;

I'm pretty sure that the situation where the defendant committed blasphemy fits into that definition, so in this particular case the blasphemy laws do not clash with the Covenant.
    Do it does not.
    Burning his own Quran in his own backyard ---nope
    posting the video in a facebook group named "yes to freedom, no to Islam" --- nope too; you cannot claim offense by visiting voluntary a place labeled as such.

the case did not arrive at court yet, it could be dismissed before. Article 20; 2 would have to be defended in court; every danish court up to European Court of Human Rights and i'm very sure some court will shake its head in disbelief and pardon the guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Blasphemy laws need to go to the age of the dodo. The man should be convicted of book burning, not blasphemy.
    Aww, poor Dodo ! bring it back !!

But burning a book is no expression. It is just avoiding expressions and trying to burn ideas. If you want to counter ideas, find theories to debunk them, and not just repetition of the german nazis bücherverbrennung.

You cannot convince anyone by burning a book. Only good arguments are able to change opinions.

you can teach people by highlighting the reaction of others to your burning tho. if the reaction to burning a book is violence and threats from those you offend you use that as a tool to show your opponents flaws.

7+ Year Old Account

Burning a book, even a religious text, is exactly free expression. Convincing others and swaying arguments has no relevance. And enough with the Godwin drivel. Type like an adult or stop typing.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-02-25 at 07:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Article 20, Paragraph 2;

2. Any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence shall be prohibited by law.
    And prohibiting incitement of hatred and violence is fine. However, the Danish blasphemy law is far wider in its scope. Publicly insulting or degrading religious doctrines or worship is punishable under clause 140 of Denmark’s criminal code. Merely mocking someone's religion is not 'inciting hatred or violence' any more than Pierce Morgan saying stupid shit that makes me to want to punch him in the face is.

That is absurd law.