Page 1 of 2
LastLast

BSOD All the time

Greetings! I faced some problem with my PC and looking for some help or advice, apologize for my english and if i made mistakes with creating thread.
    Often to visit MMO-Champion and forum but not so often to create threads!

Now a bit about how the whole thing started.
    I've built that PC 1 year ago, and in november faced problem.
    I went to sleep and left PC active. Next time when i tried to use PC he was slow, and eventually stop responding.
    After reboot it was okay, but in 15 seconds after turning in it stop responding again.
    After next reboot i faced BSOD, and from that moment i was facing BSOD all the time, with different errors.

I've turned off sdd/hdd and tried to boot with flash, still bsod.
    I went to service center for help.
    After diagnostics they said it's MotherBoard for sure, before sending MotherBoard to re-seller service center we've tried to use different one i bought for test (Asus Z170-P) and still was BSODing.

After few days more, they said: They tried to change Graphic card, Power supply, also they checked RAM with some sort of test.
    Eventually, they said CPU is broken, they told me that's 1 in million random and they never seen anything like that.
    Engineer in 20 years practice haven't faced such. They told me that they SURE that's CPU.

Since they had no skylake CPU to test, and there's no intel office in my country, we decided to take it off and send to store re-seller.
    After 24 days store service center called me and said it's OK. CPU working and stuff. I've asked them to check it out, try to boot PC and see is there any errors.
    After 4 days more, i got call that's they did it, all working, not rejected part.

I got CPU back in 1 week.
    Went back to service center and i asked them to try with that cpu again.
    After couple of hours they told me it's alright, working, seems they store gave me a new CPU.
    I took PC and went home, and still was facing BSODs.

I went to another service center in my home city for more diagnostics, 1 week after they said it's motherboard for sure.
    I took pc back to home, asked for advice from few friends.

They told me that's there no good test for DDR4 yet, and i should with another DDR4 memory, but not kingston.
    Like it's some random weird stuff that 2 kingston planks died.
    I bought crucial and still facing bsod

Don't know what should i do.
    All pieces have warranty but sending them to re-seller shop 1 by 1 will take long time, and i don't know which part to send.
    Any help/tips/advices please?

May be MB died with 2 planks of my memory?

General Information

• CPU Intel i5-6600k 3.5k
    • Motherboard MSI Z170-G43 Plus
    • RAM 2x8gb Kingston DDR4-2400 8192MB PC4-19200 HyperX Fury and 1x8gb Crucial DDR4-2133 PC4-17000
    • Graphics Card ASUS GTX 970 Strix
    • Power Supply Chieftec CTG-750C
    • Operating System Win10
    • Resolution 1920x1080
    • SSD Kingston 120gb hyper x fury + 2xHDD 1TB WD

So, let's summarize: you have new CPU, new mobo, 1 new stick of memory? If all of that is true try taking out everything out of the case and running with one stick of RAM on your table. If that doesnt change anything check CPU power from the PSU.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Damn son, that's hardcore unlucky.

Without having the computer in front of us it will be hard (not impossible!) to be help, and considering all those "expert" that looked at it and didnt find the problem (not really surprised tho) .........
    Or it's one of those super small problem that fuck up everything that nobody thinks about :')

Im no expert, so i cant help much, but having 2 different speed of ram like that is not really good. Not a problem in most cases, it's just a thing in the "Should probably not do that" kind of stuff.

At this point, other then testing every single part one by one on a similar computer, not sure what else could be done.

Oh, did you try to just re-install windows? (might be just that stupid )
    And also, next time you get some BSOD, try to get a picture of them, they usually have somewhat usefull information in them to help solve issues.
    Last edited by Knaar; 2017-02-26 at 08:01 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    Damn son, that's hardcore unlucky.

Without having the computer in front of us it will be hard to be help, and considering all those "expert" that looked at it and didnt find the problem (not really surprised tho) .........
    Or it's one of those super small problem that fuck up everything that nobody thinks about :')

Im no expert, so i cant help much, but having 2 different speed of ram like that is not really good. Not a problem in most cases, it's just a thing in the "Should probably not do that" kind of stuff.

At this point, other then testing every single part one by one on a similar computer, not sure what else could be done.

Oh, did you tryed to just re-install windows? And also, next time you get some BSOD, try to get a picture of them, they usually have somewhat usefull information in them to help solve issues.
    Most of the BSOD tags are useless, he needs to use the Event viewer log.
    It's not a good idea to mix rams, thats why you buy them in kits but it's not a major issue aslong as they have the same CAS, Frequency, Voltage and quantity
    Last edited by mmocae1868ef01; 2017-02-26 at 08:03 AM.

Yeah i do agree that most BSOD re useless, but there's always a small chances it can help

(cant say for sure about win10, havent seen alot of them so far)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    So, let's summarize: you have new CPU, new mobo, 1 new stick of memory? If all of that is true try taking out everything out of the case and running with one stick of RAM on your table. If that doesnt change anything check CPU power from the PSU.
    I dont have CPU. In service center they've said that re-seller SENT me a NEW CPU, i don't think it's new.
    After i bought new MoBo and was still having BSOD's i document return, since have no need in her. At least i thought that.
    With 2x8gb kingston memory i've tried 1 by 1 them, and after i've tried with new crucial memory, still bsodding.
    What do you mean check CPU power?

If to believe first service center i went first - they changed PSU to another one and it didn't helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Conya View Post
    I dont have CPU. In service center they've said that re-seller SENT me a NEW CPU, i don't think it's new.
    After i bought new MoBo and was still having BSOD's i document return, since have no need in her. At least i thought that.
    With 2x8gb kingston memory i've tried 1 by 1 them, and after i've tried with new crucial memory, still bsodding.

If to believe first service center i went first - they changed PSU to another one and it didn't helped.
    Well that means you've changed what? Every component cept for what? Drives? and GPU? Have you tried booting without your GPU? Unless it's infact not a new CPU.

My english really bad Gonna try to explain, i've bought 2x8 GB kinstong memory kit for dual channel, with same speed.
    But eventually, since i coulnd't find any DDR4 memory to test, i had to buy new one just for the test, like, MAY BE it's memory!?

Yeah, i've tried to use flash boost to win8.1, win7, win10, ubuntu 12.04. Same all the time.
    Every time new error, some times it's CPU, sometimes KERNEL, sometimes MEMORY, so much such different errors

Different errors can still point to the same thing, my best guess here would be powersupply or CPU. If you can get a friend to let you test with their powersupply

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Well that means you've changed what? Every component cept for what? Drives? and GPU? Have you tried booting without your GPU? Unless it's infact not a new CPU.
    They tried to use different GPU at first service center.
    I've also tried to use CPU graphic, but still same.
    Was wondering should i buy some skylake celeron for test run >_<

- - - Updated - - -

I have another PSU with 550watt, using it for that pc i'm using right now
    In first SC they told me that they have checked with their own psu as well, they've tried everything except memory sick, cpu, and mobo, that's why i bought mobo and eventually bought one stick of ddr4.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll throw one of my experiences in here.

I had the same issue, I screwed around with mine for some time, and I have been building PCs since 1996 personally and we build our own Surveillance DVRs/NVRs and I was at a loss as well as usally I can figure the issue out rather quickly.

My issue was a bent cpu...yes a bent cpu, it was a i7-6700k using a Cryorig cooler and it bent the cpus pcb.

If you swapped your cpu and used the same cooler it could've bent the new one.
    Anyway, in a long lengthy conversation with an Intel tech, he stated that the PCBs on the Skylake are thinner than the ones of previous generations and a few coolers were putting to much force and bending the PCB causing shorts or disconnects in the layers, they RMAd the cpu for me, I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 and never had that issue again.

If too much force in on the Skylake PCB it will bend. It is rare, but if you google it, it is a thing that does happen.

What cooler are you using, google it and see if anyone else has had that issue.

Edit for a link to the issue, there are a ton other links, but this will get you started.

Skylake CPUs Bending
    Last edited by moremana; 2017-02-26 at 02:10 PM.

I'm using be quiet! shadowrock lp, you think he could damage CPU?
    In other words - problem in cpu?

Well the point is that it's a different CPU. They didnt lie to you on that - CPU going bad is an extremely rare thing. Checking CPU power means that there is an 4 or 8 pin connector on the motherboard (other than your usual 24 pin system power connector) which supplies power directly to the CPU. Check for burned contacts (motherboard side) and overall connectivity. You should definetely try taking all of your components out of your case to make sure there is no problem if your case. If your motherboard doesnt have onboard power button you can start your mobo by connecting the contact you connect your power button to with anything metal (best would be scissors or tweezers so you dont short anything).
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you try everything on this list?
    http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-the-Blue-...ath-on-Windows

I bet its something wrong with windows.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Nope, this cooler is too light to do any damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    heres a post for a Dark Rock, it depends. Most of the newer coolers have been redone so that it doesnt happen. However, If you bought a cooler that just happen to be sitting on a shelve for a while it could be one of the coolers that do. I would replace the cpu, use a stock cooler and see if the problem is gone. Most cpus that bend you can tell, in my case the bend was so small I couldnt tell unless looking at it under a magnifying glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    Yeah i do agree that most BSOD re useless, but there's always a small chances it can help

(cant say for sure about win10, havent seen alot of them so far)
    Easier way is to check C:\windows\minidump and see if it saved any logs. You can then use a blue screen viewer (Blue Screen View is ok and free) and it makes it a lot easier to see what component failed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Nope, this cooler is too light to do any damage.
    Its not the weight, its the mounting force.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Its not the weight, its the mounting force.
    No, it's the weight. Skylakes and Kaby Lakes have thinner textolite mount, making them vulnerable to crystal detachment. Mounting force is damaging aswell, but the result of it is motherboard damage.

EDIT: Btw, maximum mounting force on a stock Intel cooler is much bigger than on most aftermarket ones.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2017-02-26 at 03:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not all the time, mine was a Cryorig M9i, its a small lightweight cooler in a mitx case and the mounting force bent the cpu. As I said, I was on the phone with Intel, and according to their tech yes heavy cpu coolers did it as well, but that was usually only when shipped or transported.