WoW freezing - what's up?

So as the title says, my WoW has started to "freeze" every once in a while. Everything just stops for a couple seconds, like my FPS drops to 0-1 and then resumes as normal. Happens mostly outdoors (Highmountain is a bitch right now) and occasionally in raids which is the scary part. Recently got a new 144hz monitor if that helps, it seemed to start not long after switching monitors. Can't recall right now if it happens on other games but if so, much more rarely. What do you fine gents think is the issue?

Specs: Windows 10
    8GB RAM
    i5-4460
    GTX 970

Thanks in advance. If I can clarify anything, let me know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Check your temps. you can get a free tool called MSI afterburner to do it.

Check your drivers for your video card. Do they need updating? Did you just update?
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    Check your temps. you can get a free tool called MSI afterburner to do it.

Check your drivers for your video card. Do they need updating? Did you just update?
    Thanks for the response.

According to Speccy I'm at:
    CPU 45C
    Mobo 45C
    GPU 60C
    Storage 43C

This is after a raid night. GPU temp is at least slightly higher when playing, was investigating this a while back actually and some novice-level googling got me convinced that it's normal for the GTX 970 to run on even 80-90C.

Drivers are up-to-date.

Cap your framerate at 60 fps in the advanced settings and see if it stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Did my WQs like this and no freezing at all. What can I do to get more FPS though, and what exactly is causing this?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    try capping it at 144 and seeing if that also helps!

Make sure your mods are up to date as they can wreak all kinds of havoc on your fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Soilx3 View Post
    Everything just stops for a couple seconds, like my FPS drops to 0-1 and then resumes as normal.
    This is possibly an issue of poorly written addon/weakaura/lua script which under certain circumstances overloads your processor to 100% and as a result the game is frozen.

Update your addons and disable/remove ones you don't necessarily need. Eventually back up and clean your AddOns and WTF folder to see if it helps.

Alright, a shameless self bump since the issue seems to be back again.

The issue seems to have something to do with loading stuff, is it possible I have a faulty hard drive? Basically what happens is the game runs steady when I'm looking at a certain direction, the moment I spin the camera around there's a jank as in FPS drops to 0 and then everything resumes after roughly a couple seconds. This happened also in HoV after phasing into the Fenryr area, basically the entire computer froze for a good 20 seconds, when I finally got in the textures loaded veeeery slowly. This only seems to happen in WoW though.

What makes this even more annoying is it's not consistent at all, one day everything is rolling fine, then snap, something happens and there's no end to the lagfest.

Would appreciate any tips on what is happening and how to solve it.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Soilx3; 2017-03-27 at 04:33 PM.

Its possible, google seatools for windows and run a few tests with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    What mods are you running? Make sure they're up to date. Try disabling all of them and see if you get the problem. Keep an eye on RAM usage... 8gb should be more than enough but maybe something is eating it all up which could cause some serious issues.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Its possible, google seatools for windows and run a few tests with it.
    I'll try and do this tomorrow. Wouldn't everything else be affected as well if it was a hard drive gone to hell though? Only WoW seems to be doing this.

What mods are you running? Make sure they're up to date. Try disabling all of them and see if you get the problem. Keep an eye on RAM usage... 8gb should be more than enough but maybe something is eating it all up which could cause some serious issues.
    Assume you mean addons, they're all up to date. ElvUI and pretty much all the standard addons, WeakAuras, Recount, DBM etc. I'll give disabling them a go, but the issue is so inconsistent it's hard to tell if it actually worked or not. From what I've looked at in the task manager, memory usage isn't high at all. Usually around 50%. My disk usage seems crazy high at times though.