Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Why does it feel so weird to see a female as the "Hero"?

Closed. Because "reasons"
    Last edited by Nalam the Venom; 2017-03-01 at 06:33 PM.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Maybe you should be asking your psychologist. How are we supposed to know why it feels weird to you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it is all the fault of the patriarchy, which you would know if you ever bothered turning up at the meetings.

It really doesn't. Samus Aran, Lara Croft, Ms Pac Man, there have been female heroes throughout the history of video games. This is solely your problem.

It doesn't.

Your argument is 3 years too late, too.

Deleted
    Bait thread is bait.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love female heroes and never see them as weird.

Its also why I only play as female characters in MMOs/some RPGs.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Deleted
    There are a lot more males than female heroes, so I can understand to some who don't get with the time, this may still seem odd.
    But then again, I don't particularly like female comedians as a female.
    I am biased to feel they need to try a lot harder to be funny.

Shame on me!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Seems an awful lot like bait.

I'd say you're pretty damn weird if you haven't got used to female heroes. They've been a thing in popular media since decades before my birth.

Deleted
    It doesn't feel weird.

At least, not unless you "force" a female character into a typical male role (and vice versa).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Bait comment is bait.
    Fix'd that for ya!

OP: It's you. Nice thinking tho, explore more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

i dunno mate, as long as the character fits the story who cares if its male or female

10+ Year Old Account
    Because men have approximately 50% higher upper body strength than women on average. They also tend to look more burly, which usually gives a fighter a more impressive (intimidating) appearance.
    That being said, I've never really thought it weird to have a female hero in a movie or a video game. Heroes are kind of a fictional thing anyways, and not all heroes have to swing giant swords around or fight at all. Heroes in a story-telling sense are usually just a character that faces opposition, overcomes said opposition and grows from the experience. It's a character we root for for a number of reasons. And that role can be filled by men, women, animals, pretty much anything we can in some way identify with.

In the real world a hero is usually someone who does something incredibly selfless or makes huge sacrifices for the benefit of others, which again doesn't have to have anything to do with strength or martial prowess, which means gender may or may not be irrelevant. Being a hero is more about having a certain mindset.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Hey.

Has media & Sociaty somehow brainwashed me into that way of thinking? That a male always has to be the Strong person or "hero" that saves the day?
    /insert comedy laugh track

Seriously...no you're not brainwashed by anyone. Males have always been the "hero" because they're physically "designed" that way. See what happens when a average woman punches a average man vs a man punches a man. Having that said there are also historic female figures that are considered heroic.

But since you're talking about fiction and you're talking about being "brainwashed" i have to point you to the direction of Wonder woman, Ms/Captain Marvel, Buffy Summers, Hit-girl, Aleksandra Zaryanova, Jessica Jones, Jean Grey, Éowyn , Sarah Kerrigan (In a way) to only name a few.

So i don't know where this feeling comes from but i doubt you're gonna get the answer and an internet forum.
    We can only debunk your theory of the whole brainwashing thing.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't feel weird at all.

Hey.

I enjoy playing as Female characters in MMO's and other RPG games, But when i think about it from a story prospectove something inside me just thinks that this is weird and not the way it should be, But it's not how i feel personally but i just get that feeling and i don't know why. Has media & Sociaty somehow brainwashed me into that way of thinking? That a male always has to be the Strong person or "hero" that saves the day?
    Does it? Metroid was probably my first "love" and it never felt weird there.
    Maybe it has something to do with insecurities? Do women scare you?

That a male always has to be the Strong person or "hero" that saves the day?
    Ellen Ripley says hi.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It doesn't feel weird.

At least, not unless you "force" a female character into a typical male role (and vice versa).
    Pretty much this.

Deleted
    Hey.

I enjoy playing as Female characters in MMO's and other RPG games, But when i think about it from a story prospectove something inside me just thinks that this is weird and not the way it should be, But it's not how i feel personally but i just get that feeling and i don't know why. Has media & Sociaty somehow brainwashed me into that way of thinking? That a male always has to be the Strong person or "hero" that saves the day?
    No. That's just you.

It doesn't.

As for MMO chars for me it depends on race and class. Wow in particular I can't play any sort of caster class on most male chars because they are all muscle bound freaks. Makes sense for physical classes like warriors, but seeing a muscle bound mage just doesn't make sense to me.