Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunaka View Post
    Some of them are more than alright. If the only way to enjoy it is to see the raw muscle of humanity in the story, then maybe there's horizons to be broadened. I will entirely admit I've never read the Conan series, but it's also never appealed to me. And what works for one world doesn't always work for another. Not saying Harry Potter is high fantasy nor high fiction, but it's kind of hard to picture Hogwarts with everyone in loincloths and carting around swords. You could note that every Conan game has had plenty of folks just stripping their characters down to the pink stuff, which fits the world, but doesn't necessarily add to the "heroic" appeal for many. The women aren't marginalized for it in that world...but the players often do that more than enough.

Since the question was about MMOs in the first place, pay attention to the fact that the armor/clothing in the pictures you gave is super sparse, which does not make sense in the context of WoW or most MMOs. And then you almost always only see that kind of outfit on ladyfolk, not the burly menfolk. The earlier comment about uppity liberals demanding that women be covered isn't necessarily the issue, considering it's a huge difference of exposure between the sexes. That, whether you feel it's a negative or not, ends up pushing the disparity due to sexualization, which in turn generally reduces the heroic appeal of women compared to men. A lot of folks don't really care about it either way, but for many it puts men in the more heroic spotlight.
    Well, your issues here are twofold.

One, I like Conan because he is the self-made adventurer, the rugged Barbarian who takes what he wishes and pushes through adversary with grit and cunning. He's not the chosen one, he has no manifest destiny or a prophecy or even a "Goal" Conan is. Fantasy in Books has almost disregarded this idea that the world is not just a play set around the characters, but the characters are people exploring the world. People dress is sparse clothing because Hyborea is a primitive place, Metal is Scarce and Armour expensive. But even then, the lack of clothing is symbolic on Individuality and the toughness of these characters.

I'd probably ask you, why doesn't Conan Appeal to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    The point has very little to do with the title (I just assumed people read the OP in threads and diden't just comment blindly). Sorry if i worded it poorly. You Should've read the Post.
    There wasn't much to go on...

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Closed. Because "reasons"

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    One, I like Conan because he is the self-made adventurer, the rugged Barbarian who takes what he wishes and pushes through adversary with grit and cunning.
    Why is that an "issue" with what I posted? I never once implied liking it was somehow wrong, nor that it didn't appeal to anyone, especially certain sets of sensibilities. In fact, I specifically said that it's a world where the conventions it uses work for that world. My statement of the "raw muscle of humanity" was supposed to imply both literal and figurative aspects (which I'll assume wasn't conveyed well enough), which you've replied with. So, again, what exactly was wrong there?

I've read rather a few stories that fit that same mold. Most everyone has. Just because stuff like Harry Potter (again, not high fantasy/fiction) is far more popular doesn't mean those stories don't get told or written anymore. They do. They still gain traction, too. The point was you linked a picture of bikini armor and said that there need to be more of them. Why? They don't fit into every story, nor does a character like Conan. Hunger Games isn't even Fantasy, yet you included a mention about it. What do liberal ideals of modesty (which aren't even my point) somehow make a female character less of a hero? Heroes have actual personalities which include weakness. Female heroes can be weak. Male heroes can be weak. Everyone can be weak. That's what makes them heroic: overcoming the odds in themselves or that they're beset by.

I'd probably ask you, why doesn't Conan Appeal to you?
    To be entirely honest: machismo. The story and all its depictions seem to drip with it. In all formats and genres of media, that turns me away from stories. I could try to pick it up and read it anyway, but I've never encountered a sign that says it'd be circumvented somehow. Comes off as a man's man in a man's story for men. Even from what I'm reading about it online at this moment it looks like it's right up that alley. Why bother? That's not my thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely bait thread. Still, I grew up on characters like Lara Croft, Wonder Woman, Storm, Rogue, Ripley, Dorothy Gale, Claire Redfield, Harley Quinn, Belle from beauty and the beast, Yuna. Found a pretty rich tapestry of female main leads.
    #boycottchina

Probably because you have some deep seeded anger towards women in power. Deal with it.

Deleted
    If you cannot love Frank Frazetta, Robert E. Howard Swords and Sorcery then I'm sorry for your loss of taste.

snip
    Conan was written in the 1930s - a very different time and with very different morals. If it was published today, SJWs and feminazis would argue that a cis white male is the hero and the woman is his bitch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    And you assume I would know what these things are, why, exactly? Doesn't seem like something that would appeal to me one bit.
    You never heard of Conan The Barbarian?! What planet are you from, btw?

I would think because it is only recently that the human race has started to give women things like rights and a voice.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing weird about Nariko from Heavenly Sword.

Lighting from FF13 on the other hand....she's just bad.