Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tastes *like* chicken ... but

Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix
    Mouse: That's exactly my point. Exactly. Because you have to wonder: how do the machines know what Tasty Wheat tasted like? Maybe they got it wrong. Maybe what I think Tasty Wheat tasted like actually tasted like oatmeal, or tuna fish. That makes you wonder about a lot of things. You take chicken, for example: maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like, which is why chicken tastes like everything.
    Apoc: Shut up, Mouse.
    In something that sounds like it should have been on CSI:

Researchers in Canada tested the DNA in multiple products from the fast-food chains and found that Subway's oven-roasted chicken is only 53.6% chicken and the sweet onion chicken teriyaki strips are only 42.8% chicken, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation reports.

Most of the remaining DNA in the Subway items belongs to soy, according to test, which was conducted by Matt Harnden, a DNA researcher at Trent University's Wildlife Forensic DNA Laboratory.

Subway dispute's the study's findings.
    Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/study...chicken-2017-2
    See also: http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...icken-dna.html

It must be nice to sell a substantial amount of soy for the price of chicken breast.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    It must be nice to sell a substantial amount of soy for the price of chicken breast.
    Kangaroo, Dolphin, Rat, bugs and now Soy, at least we're getting a little better with the by-products.

Did they ever say what the other meat, other than chicken was? If it is meat?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    In something that sounds like it should have been on CSI:

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/study...chicken-2017-2
    See also: http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...icken-dna.html

I noticed over the years their food quality has gotten worse, I went from eating there all the time to only eating there when I have no other option.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Did they ever say what the other meat, other than chicken was? If it is meat?
    The rest is mostly Soy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Kangaroo, Dolphin, Rat, bugs and now Soy, at least we're getting a little better with the by-products.
    Nothing wrong with kangaroo, it's damn tasty.

It's not that gross, it's only like finding out your fried chicken strip is mostly breading. It's just that ratios are off.

Personally I've never eaten subway. Idk why people find subpar sandwiches so popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    It's not that gross, it's only like finding out your fried chicken strip is mostly breading. It's just that ratios are off.

Personally I've never eaten subway. Idk why people find subpar sandwiches so popular.
    Sometimes it's the only option in the area :/ usually though if I want a sub sandwich I just make my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    A bit of an acquired taste, as its a little more gamey than a lot of Americans are used to. I personally like it, reminded me of venison.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    If I'm buying moo moo cow meat, I want moo moo cow meat. Not Hoppity hop g'day meat.

Personally I don't overly care, unless the thrown in by-products are somehow dangerous to humans. If not, I'm fine with eating 50% moo moo cow and 50% hoppity hop roo meat in my burger

Compared to what? If you are out and about, where you going to eat? If you in an area that you don't know and you got 45 mins, where you going to eat? A place that is so so or some place you've never heard of in hopes that it's better? McDonald's is a known place, where the menu doesn't really change. So you pretty much always know what you're going to get and roughly what it's going to cost. John's burger shack, not so much. Eventually, it just because a de facto standard. Subway is known place to get subs and a $5 foot long is pretty cheap eats. Of course there are better places, but whoever becomes a common chain first and has the most stores has a pretty good advantage. Not that many people are willing to drive an extra 2-3 miles to get a better sandwich.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2017-03-01 at 04:52 PM.

I wish it were 100% soy.

Not defending Subway at all, but.....if you've never eaten there how can you say their sandwiches are subpar?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Deleted
    Because they are - at least in my opinion - actually quite tasty. It's really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    The only sub I get at subway is tuna.
    I usually just get a Veggie Delight with some cheese on top of it. Sometimes Tuna.

Wait till they find out that the cheese actually grows on trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post

Not defending Subway at all, but.....if you've never eaten there how can you say their sandwiches are subpar?
    You don't need to eat there to know they aren't selling gourmet food

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Compared to what? If you are out and about, where you going to eat? If you in an area that you don't know and you got 45 mins, where you going to eat? A place that is so so or some place you've never heard of in hopes that it's better? McDonald's is a known place, where the menu doesn't really change.
    If I'm on the freeway, I'll have planned ahead and brought food and snacks with me. If I'm tooting around the city, there are endless quick options. /shrug.

Anyway, this reminds me of the Taco Bell thing a few years ago. Yes, it's not 100% beef. Neither is taco meat you'd make at home. There are seasonings and sauce in it.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

What if someone is allergic to soy? Good that I'm not eating there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I wish it were 100% soy.
    Yeah, me too. But ig they're calling it chicken sandwich, then it should contain chicken, not soy.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCreeper View Post
    You don't need to eat there to know they aren't selling gourmet food
    Not gourmet =/= subpar, though.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Then you'll have researched, I'd imagine. They don't hide the fact. http://www.subway.com/~/media/usa/do...rgen_chart.pdf

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Most restaurant chains now are required to post allergy charts. They are usually simple charts that list the various menu items on the left with possible allergens at the top and a mark/dot on all the corresponding boxes for allergies they might affect. Next time you walk in, you might notice them (usually posted on the display case for the food or very nearby).

10+ Year Old Account
    i never liked subway much because THEY NEVER FULLY COOK MY SUB. it's always lukewarm and i always have to finish warming it up myself. really annoying.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.