7+ Year Old Account

Question Immigrants will save the west, but do we need them when everything is being automated

Like the video says, The politicians of Europe demand we take in more and more people, but what jobs will there be for these immigrants
    when everything is set to be automated?

Automation will erode economies over the long term unless head-count jobs develop to take their place. It's gonna be fun to watch.

Imagine a world where all manual labor is automated, as well as all jobs that are clerical or service oriented etc. This means all jobs would be essentially mental labor and the only way to get such a job would be to be highly educated. STEM fields are already moving in this direction...looking for higher levels of education (masters degree and up). There isn't really a shortage in STEM jobs for bachelor degrees but it is getting much more competitive.

Now in terms of an economy this would be a drastic shift, but can you imagine a world where the bare minimum is being college educated? and I mean literally the minimum...0 jobs available without it. That would be a massive step forward for humanity. Humans have an innate ability to adapt (at least their brains) rapidly so I have no doubt we could rise to the challenge. Essentially what this would mean is that the free market and need for a job would push to make us smarter as a whole. Of course the student loan bubble will burst well before that happens but that will be not but a scuff mark on our heels.

Either that or we will blow each other up over resources first. C'est la vie.

Immigrants will save the west
    One terrorist attack at a time?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Everything is set to be automated"

What? That's not even remotely close to the situation right now. That's literally like, 100-200 years ahead of now. Just because a handful of burger and pizza shops have automation and manufacturing has some automation doesn't mean there aren't millions of jobs.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Um, what jobs do they expect people to do if everything is automated? Countries like the US are already having issues with the loss of manufacturing jobs to automation.

Whoa there buckeyo. This is so damn biased that it's hard to take him serious. Also you heard him canadians, stop flooding our country and bringing your backwards incompatible culture /.s.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm ready to hunt pythons once my job is automated.

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/ne...gram/98999772/

10+ Year Old Account
    "Everything" cannot be automated; it would mean a doomsday Terminator-like scenario, where no organic beings remain.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

If everything thing is automated, I'm pretty sure humans won't be ( despite of where you come from) the top dog any more.