Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by hugin7 View Post
    No OC yet… Temps are generally in the 30’s, but CoreTemp 1.6 recorded a max of 74 during normal use (no stress tests done yet). My understanding is that’s a bit high even for Kaby Lake without OC. Everything I read suggests that I should be able to hit 4,8 GHz with this cooler, with a chance at 5 GHz, and max temps should stay below 75. If that’s true, it seems I have no room for OC at all…

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes, saw a peak of 79 degrees… Still no overclocking or stress testing - this is just from normal use.
    What's your motherboard? It sure seems like top side VRMs/radiator on it/condensators dont allow the heatsink to be seated properly. If I remember correctly Noctua has a compatibility list with notes on their website, you should check it out.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    i have 2 of those coolers , and my first though is they just screw one of the bolts/screws (by the images the one closer to the GPU ) into the mounting brackets , thats why is crooked, also that would explain the temps, the cpu cooler is not making full contact with the cpu

if you remove the fan in the middle , you will see the 2 screws, the cpu cooler comes with a large L wrench to install , just finish the job, is kinda easy to remove/install the fans

edit: words
    Last edited by mmocc274989594; 2017-03-05 at 11:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Noctua has a nice compatibility list for all the major brands and models.

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-coo...il/nh-d15/comp

Look up your Motherboard in there and check for compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by hugin7 View Post
    No OC yet… Temps are generally in the 30’s, but CoreTemp 1.6 recorded a max of 74 during normal use (no stress tests done yet). My understanding is that’s a bit high even for Kaby Lake without OC. Everything I read suggests that I should be able to hit 4,8 GHz with this cooler, with a chance at 5 GHz, and max temps should stay below 75. If that’s true, it seems I have no room for OC at all…

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes, saw a peak of 79 degrees… Still no overclocking or stress testing - this is just from normal use.
    It shouldn't reach that high temps. I've got a 5930k OC'd to 4.5 ghz and it hits 59c under 100% load and is around 38c idle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    It shouldn't reach that high temps. I've got a 5930k OC'd to 4.5 ghz and it hits 59c under 100% load and is around 38c idle.
    Unless your using custom watercooling you aren't getting those temps under load unless load to you is gaming. Please don't spread mis-information here it is highly frowned upon.

Most reviews I found in just the few minutes I looked at those clock rates is 78c to 80c on watercoooling.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Unless your using custom watercooling you aren't getting those temps under load unless load to you is gaming. Please don't spread mis-information here it is highly frowned upon.

Most reviews I found in just the few minutes I looked at those clock rates is 78c to 80c on watercoooling.
    Under load is simcrafting, which uses 100% of my cpu and it sticks around there for the entire calculation, which takes some time.

I don't have custom watercooling.

15+ Year Old Account
    Under load is simcrafting, which uses 100% of my cpu and it sticks around there for the entire calculation, which takes some time.

I don't have custom watercooling.
    You tested it that fast?

Under load means running a test for more than a few minutes.

Run Aida 64 or Prime and let me know what you get after at least 30 min.

You tested it that fast
    I started the calculation as I made the first post.
    Run Aida 64 or Prime and let me know what you get after at least 30 min.
    I don't have the patience to leave my computer running a test like that atm since I can't do anything with the computer during the test. I might do so when I go to bed.

Either way his CPU temps(74c) are too high for normal use for not being overclocked. The highest I've reached on a CPU with standard clock is about 60c with air cooling, but I haven't had air cooling since I had an i7-950.

I'm around 40-42c when playing overwatch.
    Last edited by Moratori; 2017-03-06 at 05:19 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I started the calculation as I made the first post.

I don't have the patience to leave my computer running a test like that atm. I might do so when I go to bed.

Either way his CPU temps are too high for not being overclocked. The highest I've reached on a CPU with standard clock is about 60c with air cooling, but I haven't had air cooling since I had an i7-950.
    I agree his are too high. If it were me I would send the PC back. I'm curious to know who put it together.

On your setup, if you truly get those temps under load with Aida 64 or Prime then you got a cherry chip and I would be curious to see it with screen shots. I cant even get my Skylake to run at those temps even with a h100i, which I did test, but having water encased in a box with electronic equipment scares the piss out of me, I already lost one due to a h100i leak, that was expensive so air coolers ftw for me.

I do like the new NZXT RGB ones, but I just cant do it, I get creepy crawly skin thinking about it.

I agree his are too high. If it were me I would send the PC back. I'm curious to know who put it together.

On your setup, if you truly get those temps under load with Aida 64 or Prime then you got a cherry chip and I would be curious to see it with screen shots. I cant even get my Skylake to run at those temps even with a h100i, which I did test, but having water encased in a box with electronic equipment scares the piss out of me, I already lost one due to a h100i leak, that was expensive so air coolers ftw for me.

I do like the new NZXT RGB ones, but I just cant do it, I get creepy crawly skin thinking about it.
    I've got this: http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/.../nepton-120xl/

Gonna test the computer when I go to sleep to see what temps it reaches if I leave it running.

My motherboard is GIGABYTE AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 LGA 1151. It shows up on the compatibility list.

For those of you curious about who the installation vendor is, it’s NCIXUS. They are finally starting to respond to my support request, but their initial guess is that my middle fan bracket got loose during shipping. As far as I can tell, my fans are perfectly secure but the entire heatsink is out of alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post
    Noctua has a nice compatibility list for all the major brands and models.

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-coo...il/nh-d15/comp

Look up your Motherboard in there and check for compatibility.

Okay, so after leaving it on during sleep it had been up at at 86c.

15+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so after leaving it on during sleep it had been up at at 86c.
    That's ok, during regular use it shouldn't hit those temps, did you use Prime or Aida 64?

That's ok, during regular use it shouldn't hit those temps, did you use Prime or Aida 64?
    Used prime.

15+ Year Old Account
    Used prime.
    Another one you can use for quick testing when trying out your OCs is Intel Burn Test, but I warn you it stresses the piss out of your cpu. Its what I use, and then, if it passes I bench it with Aida 64 for 6 hours. So far every pass I had on Intel Burn Test passes Aida 64 as well, every fail, has failed on Aida 64.

Best part of it, Intel Burn test only takes about 4-5 minutes, if its stable there, then it should on Prime and Aida as well.

Intel Burn Test.