Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Haha! In what world does the Marvel movies have an average rating of over 8? Have you seen the previous work?

Hint: Man-thing is at what, 4.1. Hulk at 5.7. Incredible Hulk at 6.8. The Punisher at 6.5 and so on. Several movies that drags the score way, way down below 8.

Give me a break.
    Those are not Marvel films. They have only produced 14 pictures and 5 television shows. Averages based on aggregate across Metacritic, Cinemascore and Rotten Tomatoes as already stated.

Fox's X-Men films are based on Marvel characters, but are not Marvel Films. They are licensed. As such they have no bearing on the collective reception of the studio and production hous(es) output.

Warcraft franchise had the potential but i dont think it did enough business to warrant sequels

I mean damn that shit was just getting warmed up!

Thing with fantasy is that its a genre that needs big budgets to pull off and i think with recent flops big studios are too shit scared to put up the money and if they dont then the CGI comes off as crap and laughable and the story usually is just the usual fantasy tropes that has been done to death.

7+ Year Old Account
    I imagine in all of human history still ahead of us there will be, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    I feel the same too, never cared much about LOTR. The whole plot about having to walk all that to toss a ring is ok but seriously why the fuck didn't they just ride the dam gryphons there that flew them out of there in the first place... Did they have to earn toss the ring in the volcano achievement before they could use flying mounts or what.
    Ha! Yep, had to get Mordor pathfinder meta first but now all Baggins and Gamgees can fly.

LotR isn't good enough to be a milestone IMO, the thing that sets it apart is the genre. I'm not saying that the movies are bad, just that some parts aren't very good.

That said, will there be fantasy movies as successful as the LotR franchise, I doubt it. I bet there will be fantasy themed movies that I will consider better though, heck, I consider the TV series GoT better.
    Last edited by Waynhim; 2017-03-08 at 08:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Those are not Marvel films. They have only produced 14 pictures and 5 television shows. Averages based on aggregate across Metacritic, Cinemascore and Rotten Tomatoes as already stated.

Fox's X-Men films are based on Marvel characters, but are not Marvel Films. They are licensed. As such they have no bearing on the collective reception of the studio and production hous(es) output.
    Okay.

Marvel disagrees though. http://marvel.com/movies/all
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Okay.

Marvel disagrees though. http://marvel.com/movies/all
    There are only 14 movies made by Marvel on that page. Are you saying they disagree and counting the animated television shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Better question, will we ever see another LOTR-level book series? HP was great in it's own right, but LOTR has been a timeless classic that truly defined that genre. Maybe HP will get there someday, but it seems to have faded a bit with the upcoming generation.

Fuck, now I want to read them again. Damnit.
    ever read wheel of time? malazan books of the fallen? stormlight archive?

Will there EVER? Probably.

But not in the near future.

Avatar as a series has a lot of potential, I can't really think of anything else or a a book series or such that could be as epic.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2017-03-10 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    Harry Potter says hello. Unless you're looking only at trilogies.
    Harry Potter is NOT on the same level of LOTR.. LOL.... If I can read a book that a movie is based off of in less time it takes to watch the movie. Its no where near the level of Tolkien in either print or film form.

Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    Harry Potter says hello. Unless you're looking only at trilogies.
    did you seriously just try to put harry potter in the same league as lord of the rings? harry potter may have sold a lot of books but thats cuz it was DIRECTED at the YOUNGER generation. it was a very easy read, and i blasted through the books. entertaining? yes. deep? no. characters didn't even really get a lot of development. as a matter of a fact my favorite character was SNAPE because he actually was a convoluted character. he wasnt black (Bad guys in general) or white (good guys in general).

on the other hand, anyone who actually calls themselves a fantasy fan (and not a HP, LotR or GoT Fan), should read malazan, wheel of time, stormlight archive, kingkiller chronicles, and honestly i'd even have to throw in Gentleman Bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    There are tons of films vastly superior to LOTR.

LOTR lacks a villain that is worthy of its heroes quest. The Ring Wraiths are just Imperial Stormtroopers. They run around looking scary but never accomplish anything in the story. The Balrog just falls into a chasm and is killed by Gandalf, who dies but then gets stupidly resurrected so it doesn't count. Orcs are worse than imperial stormtroopers, more like battle droids. Sauron himself is hampered and impaired, unable to do anything but scream at his bumbling minions. Sauron gets outwitted and doesn't see where the ring is until its too late. Even then, Gollum saved the ring so Sauron should have WON, but then Iluvatar steps in at the last second and pushed Gollum into the lava. So we wrap it up with the worst Deus Ex Machina ever as Iluvatar is LITERALLY GOD stepping into the story and rewriting the outcome at the end.

The ONLY way I can justify LOTR being a good and interesting story is if you consider that Iluvatar is actually EVIL. You see, there is a question put to the Christian god about why does he allow suffering? Only an evil God would allow sentient beings to suffer needlessly. The answer is that it is ok because the reward is ETERNAL life in heaven. So when you think about it, the 80 years you spend on Earth suffering is a blink of an eye compared to ETERNAL happiness after it is over.

In the Tolkien mythology, there is no offer of ETERNAL happiness on the table from Iluvatar. That changes the bargain. Now, you suffer on Arda and who knows what awaits you afterwards. The Hague would probably rule that this is cruel and unusual punishment and a war crime. The Hague would find that Iluvatar is a brutal and evil god.

Which he is.
    Mankind is the source of their own suffering, God has nothing to do with it, so your argument there is invalid. The villain in LotR is the lust for power. You don't always need a big bad chasing you to move a plot forward. The book is a staple of classic lit for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Andaja View Post
    In 70~ years when silmarillion rights will be open there will be something like lotr.
    Which means the majority of the people in this thread won't be alive to see it... time to start working on making some kids and hope our grandkids will enjoy it in their full VR matrix-like dive headsets.

Unless you know, a zombie apocalypse happens as some people seem to believe

10+ Year Old Account
    The Dark Tower had the potential to be a LoTR level monster franchise. Sadly, with all the edits and plot fuckery, I doubt it'll hit the heights it should have reached.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I think a lot of movies live up to it and have surpassed it, imo. If you're wondering if there will ever be one similar, well, here's hoping.
    Please name another high fantasy film that lives up to Lotr.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This may be your opinion, which is fine of course.

However, Marvel's films and television shows have averaged a collective 85% or 8.5 out of 10 from critics and a 83% or 8.3 out of 10 from audiences.

The average film score among aggregate sites, test audiences, focus groups and print publication is a 6.0-6.5 or 6.0/6.5 out of 10.

Marvel's films are collectively above average by every industry and metric used to judge and appraise film outside of award ceremony. Your claim, though I am aware it is just your opinion, is totally foolish and erroneous.

The Lord of the Rings franchise averaged a 79% (7.9 out of 10) from critics and 86% (8.6 out of 10) from audiences.

Star Wars averages 80% from critics (8.0 out of 10) and 80% from audiences (8.0 out of 10).
    Its a pretty known and obvious fact that the critics pool that makes the scores for rotten tomatoes & metacritic are Marvel shills.

For anyone who isn't a die-hard marvel fanboy its pretty clear that the actual quality IS average at best.

There may be at some point, but so far I haven't seen many movies on the same level as LoTR and I've seen a lot. If we're talking within the realms of the same genre, I can't think of any film that comes close.
    Last edited by effs; 2017-03-10 at 01:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    LoTR is such a masterpiece, the Hobbit felt really cheap in comparison. It doesn't look like there's any books in the pipeline, which could potentially rival LoTR if it turned movie.

And my god.. To see people compare LoTR to Marvel's trash, LOL
    Marvel is actually pretty good. I mean, some movies are better than the others, but Avengers still ranks as my all-time favourite Marvel movie tbh.

It's worse when people compare it to Harry Potter. Damnit those movies were shit. I can't understand how people liked them. The books weren't even that amazing. They were okay, but the movies? Fantastic Beasts was for some reason much better, probably because it's more serious and themed for adults. The HP movies cringe the fuck out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Indeed, no movie has managed to get as much combined success with critics, the box office, the audience and the awards as Lord of the Rings.
    Thank you, many posters seem to be missing the point. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of many of the series mentioned in this thread, but most don't come close to the perfect storm that the LotR trilogy was.

And, please. The Hobbit trilogy was a soulless over-bloated CGI $#%&storm that made Tolkien vomit blood in his grave.

Art by draken4o

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you mean by how big they are then the new Star Wars trilogy.

If you mean by how much the viewer likes them then it's an unanswerable question as it's a matter of opinion/preference not fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing will ever beat LOTR at what it did. It's a masterpiece of its own right and you simply cannot reasonably expect something to come along and dethrone it. Something else will come, in another fashion, with another style and another unique mark that will give you another unique feeling of grandiosity, but what you lived through LOTR will forever remain in your memories.

That's just how it works. Nothing can ever beat something upon which dozens of memories and feelings has been built upon. That doesn't mean you'll never experience another intense moment like this one -- just don't expect it to be a "LOTR" experience. It will be something on its own altogether.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..