Thread: RIP Elite Sets

Page 1 of 34
... LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

RIP Elite Sets - CHANGE CANCELLED!

As many people as possible need to voice their opinion to the devs about this.

UPDATE: DUE TO FEEDBACK, THIS CHANGE HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

A few hours ago, Holinka confirmed that an idea is in the works that makes you able to purchase old elite sets for 2.2 CR.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...page=1#post-16

I shouldn't need to point out the flaws in this. It means one-time 2.2 Legion heroes can access every elite set. PvP rewards are barely existent at this point, and this only makes it worse.

I'm sure the people that went from 1600-2200 because how dumbed down Legion is support this change, but I know many other people who will quit because of this change. Elite sets were for people that got high rating in the season when it was current, they should stay that way. Sets from season 12 backwards are incredibly rare now, it's amazing to even see a Ruthless elite set, it's a shame to devalue these so much as they carry a lot of prestige for older players.

The whole point of them is the prestige value, that's what makes them "elite". Letting everyone get them who didn't even play back in the relevant season is just idiotic and removes all worth from them.

It's just one more of the things that shows they're willing to screw over old time players in favour of casuals.

Remember how they gave GM/HW sets that were INCREDIBLY rare to 1800 RBG players? It's going to be like that.

Rated participation is dogshit as it is, no rewards means no incentive. PvP is supposed to be competitive, it's not if everyone gets the same reward.

It will also open the door to more people buying boosts.

People are arguing about it being the same for PvE gear, but mythic gear is simply a means to progression, not a cosmetic reward. The argument is normally summed up as "If I can't have exclusive gear, then you can't either!" - I do think cosmetic PvE rewards (titles, mounts, etc) should be made unobtainable after the relevant tier, so there is no double standard here. Elite gear is not comparable to tier gear, it is a cosmetic reward.

Don't get me wrong, there are sets I'd love to have that I never got. I respect the prestige of them though, and would never even buy them if this happened. I respect the fact I couldn't get them at the time.

WoW forum thread: https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17614753848
    Last edited by Krusza; 2017-01-24 at 08:48 PM.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Man that's just.. Nope, don't care.

Not really. You can get prestigious raiding gear just by doing legacy raids. I can't see why it wouldn't work the same for pvp?

10+ Year Old Account
    you got to rub them under everyones nose for the past months/years. so what? does this devalue your achievements from back then?
    From Ancient Terra the Emperor commands His Proud Sons.
    From revered Blood-stock these Warriors are made His Proud Sons.
    No fear they shall know as Adeptus Astartes, His Proud Sons.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Not really. You can get prestigious raiding gear just by doing legacy raids. I can't see why it wouldn't work the same for pvp?
    I 100% agree with this.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post
    you got to rub them under everyones nose for the past months/years. so what? does this devalue your achievements from back then?

Let's say there's a night elf male DK called "deethkinght". For years he has played arena, but he never got higher than 1700 because he's just not good at games and also lacking in intellect.

Legion hits, he plays WWDK at the start of season and gets 2.3. He never improved as a player, he just played an insanely retarded comp in a retarded expansion.

Now deethkinght has every elite set in the game despite going back to being stuck at 1700 every season after.

Remember your elite set that was pretty damn hard to get in season 11? 5 years ago that barely anyone got? Yep, this guy has it.

Deethkinght in his previously highly prestigious transmog then proceeds to run around in BGs saying stuff like "kill heler noobis" and "omg why no heal".

Your rewards are now worthless.
    Last edited by Krusza; 2017-01-24 at 04:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krassz View Post
    Let's say there's a night elf male DK called "deethkinght". For years he had played arena, but never got higher than 1700 because he's just not good at games, and also lacking in intellect.

Legion hits, he plays WWDK at the start of season and gets 2.3. He never improved as a player, he just played an insanely retarded comp in a retarded expansion.

Now deethkinght has every elite set in the game despite going back to being stuck at 1700 every season after.

Remember your elite set that was pretty damn hard to get in season 11? 5 years ago that barely anyone got? Yep, this guy has it.

Deethkinght in his previously highly prestigious transmog then proceeds to run around in BGs saying stuff like "kill heler noobis" and "omg why no heal".

Your rewards are now worthless.

And why is a transmog this important? I mean, as Taeldorian said you can get all the gear from vanilla raids within like 30 minutes. That was overtuned and extremely hard in most cases back in the day, but noone is complaining about that.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post

Because they are season rewards that are cosmetic. PvP is a lot more competitive than raiding, think of them as a trophy for getting higher rating during the current season.

Raiding sets are just the current gear, they're not supposed to be prestigious. Mythic gear is a means to progression, it's not a cosmetic reward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiturbo View Post
    And why is a transmog this important? I mean, as Taeldorian said you can get all the gear from vanilla raids within like 30 minutes. That was overtuned and extremely hard in most cases back in the day, but noone is complaining about that.
    I'm sure people were. It was also a bad choice, but not intentional. Transmog didn't exist until late cata.

Elite sets were season specific rewards for people that got high rating. It defeats the point if everyone can have them 10 years later. They're more than just a transmog, they're a reward for getting high rating in a specific season. Didn't get rating that season? No reward from that season.

Make new rewards for casuals, leave the old ones alone.
    Last edited by Krusza; 2017-01-24 at 11:14 AM.

Deleted
    I'd almost go about saying that it was easier to get 2,2 in the past. There were a lot more people playing arenas before and therefore there more "scrubs" at lower rating than there is now. People also used to be worse players (thinking all the way back to tbc, not Wod or Mop). The people left doing arenas now are pretty much the one's who are more serious about pvp and you kinda have to really work your way up right from the start.

I certainly used to have a lot higher rating in the past than I do now, but I don't go around claiming it's because the game got easier for everyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you care a lot about something you care so little for.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shuubi View Post
    I'd almost go about saying that it was easier to get 2,2 in the past. There were a lot more people playing arenas before and therefore there more "scrubs" at lower rating than there is now. People also used to be worse players (thinking all the way back to tbc). The people left doing arenas now are pretty much the one's who are more serious about pvp and you kinda have to really work your way up right from the start.

I certainly used to have a lot higher rating in the past than I do now, but I don't go around claiming it's because the game got easier for everyone else.
    That is the case though, it's a fact. Everyone jumped massively in rating that I know with the launch of Legion, I saw backpedalling DKs at 2100 mmr for quite a while.

Everyone I know who plays at 2500-2700 says there is pretty much no noticeable difference between gaps of a few hundred rating. It doesn't take a genius to realise this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pakmanisgod View Post
    Sounds like you care a lot about something you care so little for.
    I care for pre-wod PvP.

As many people as possible need to voice their opinion to the devs about this.

A few hours ago, Holinka confirmed that an idea is in the works that makes you able to purchase old elite sets for 2.2 CR.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...page=1#post-16

I shouldn't need to point out the flaws in this. It means one-time 2.2 Legion heroes can access every elite set. PvP rewards are barely existent at this point, and this only makes it worse.

I'm sure the people that went from 1600-2200 because how dumbed down Legion is support this change, but I know many other people who will quit because of this change. Elite sets were for people that got high rating in the season when it was current, you can tell how many times people got high rating, and sets from season 12 backwards are incredibly rare now.

It's just one more of the things that shows they're willing to screw over old time players in favour of casuals.

Remember how they gave GM/HW sets that were INCREDIBLY rare to 1800 RBG players? It's going to be like that.
    Cry more, I hope you and other players like you leave. I won't bother getting the sets because I can't be arsed to do rated PvP, but if you're basing your enjoyment/whatever on what other people have, you might need a serious reevaluation of your priorities, because that's pathetic.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabka Uhalla View Post
    Cry more, I hope you and other players like you leave. I won't bother getting the sets because I can't be arsed to do rated PvP, but if you're basing your enjoyment/whatever on what other people have, you might need a serious reevaluation of your priorities, because that's pathetic.
    So you don't want a game with rewards? What's the incentive to play competitively without exclusivity when it comes to rewards?
    Last edited by Krusza; 2017-01-24 at 08:56 PM.

This is fantastic news and might actually breathe new life in PvP. Those sets were absolutely wasted. No inexperienced PvP-er could say "Wow, I really like this season's set, so I'll learn to play and get 2.2k rating now", it was too much to start from scratch in a single season, so people just gave up and learned to stop caring.

This way, it doesn't matter how long it takes you, it doesn't matter if your favorite class is at the bottom this season, you know that if you keep trying and eventually reach 2.2k you'll be able to buy the set you wanted. PvP matters again.

Once again, fantastic news! Don't shoot yourself in the privates by opposing this, it's actually going to help your rapidly dying minigame.

I like this change. It exists in PvE and I would love to have them for PvP too.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    This is fantastic news and might actually breathe new life in PvP. Those sets were absolutely wasted. No inexperienced PvP-er could say "Wow, I really like this season's set, so I'll learn to play and get 2.2k rating now", it was too much to start from scratch in a single season, so people just gave up and learned to stop caring.

This way, it doesn't matter how long it takes you, it doesn't matter if your favorite class is at the bottom this season, you know that if you keep trying and eventually reach 2.2k you'll be able to buy the set you wanted. PvP matters again.

Once again, fantastic news! Don't shoot yourself in the privates by opposing this, it's actually going to help your rapidly dying minigame.
    As someone who clearly doesn't play said "minigame" by calling it such, you're incredibly wrong.

No rewards = no incentive

Deleted
    They sent clear message that everything you do in WoW is pointless and prestige rewards are unreliable.
    Why spend countless of hours getting something now, when you can get it almost for free and without any work shortly after. They did the same with vanilla pvp titles.

It's good reminder to never start collecting digital prestige items. They can be easily duplicated or returned to the game as casual items. If you are collector, collect physical stuff.

Deleted
    Because they are season rewards that are cosmetic. PvP is a lot more competitive than raiding, think of them as a trophy for getting higher rating during the current season.

Raiding sets are just the current gear, they're not supposed to be prestigious.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure people were. It was also a bad choice, but not intentional. Transmog didn't exist until late cata.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrxz View Post
    They sent clear message that everything you do in WoW is pointless and prestige rewards are unreliable.
    Why spend countless of hours getting something now, when you can get it almost for free and without any work shortly after. They did the same with vanilla pvp titles.

It's good reminder to never start collecting digital prestige items. They can be easily duplicated or returned to the game as casual items. If you are collector, collect physical stuff.
    Without prestigious rewards there's pretty much no point in playing something that's supposed to be competitive.

Worthless rewards for a lot of effort = not worth the effort.
    Last edited by Krusza; 2017-01-24 at 08:56 PM.

Deleted
    So a company cathering to their active playerbase instead the mostly churned one?

I don't see an issue here.