Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Eisenhower is probably the most recent President that generally receives positive reviews from the vast majority of people.
    Is there a candidate that can come close to be the second Eisenhower so to speak?

Also if Eisenhower was to run for president today without having been a president before, would the people vote for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    Is there a candidate that can come close to be the second Eisenhower so to speak?

Also if Eisenhower was to run for president today without having been a president before, would the people vote for him?
    He was a successful general in a major war, so he had practical leadership experience. I think people would vote for him, sure. It'd be like voting for (sp?) Schwarzkopf after Desert Storm, or Powell in the early 2000s.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    YOU responded by saying that JFK was helped by the Russian to become president after i linked a wikipedia page with approval rates of former US presidents. Don't play games with me. (reported btw)
    No, you linked to the Cuban Missile Crises. At which point I asked if you had a clue what it was actually about. Since you seem to think that was some kind of point against Russia and JFK. Then you answered my question with a question. At which point I wrote you off. Try again though homey. One of these days you may be able to 'win' an internet argument.

George Washington and Jefferson maybe. Calvin Coolidge is my personal favorite president.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    He was a successful general in a major war, so he had practical leadership experience. I think people would vote for him, sure. It'd be like voting for (sp?) Schwarzkopf after Desert Storm, or Powell in the early 2000s.
    I remember last year Charles Krauthammer speaking on (dismissing) Trumps chances of winning, and he said something to the effect of, "Historically, if you want to win to win the presidency, you have to come from either a traditional political background or the military, and if it's the military, you have do do something really big like win World War II." I guess the rules are different now.

Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    No, you linked to the Cuban Missile Crises. At which point I asked if you had a clue what it was actually about. Since you seem to think that was some kind of point against Russia and JFK. Then you answered my question with a question. At which point I wrote you off. Try again though homey. One of these days you may be able to 'win' an internet argument.
    Still no response, nor evidence, from you on your statement that "the Russians helped JFK get elected" though
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

7+ Year Old Account
    Eisenhower. Two Roosevelts. Kennedy. Lyndon B Johnson.

These are presidents with widespread support for having been great leaders.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2017-03-07 at 01:01 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Lincoln and Kennedy

Good for the people.

Rumor is that both are assassinated by the same group.
    This group will assassinate any good presidents or saints.

They are all bad. If you are looking for a hero in history you will find mostly dark horses.

Definitely NOT. NO president has been good to my people.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    I guess the rules are different now.
    The rules are always changing, its the nature of a representative government.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra
    Calvin Coolidge is my personal favorite president.
    While we should not refuse to spend and be spent in the service of our country, it is hazardous to attempt what we feel is beyond our strength to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    The rules are always changing, its the nature of a representative government.
    Ok. So theres been a seismic, colossal shift in an extremely short period of time.

Is there anyone in politics everyone agrees with????? Nope.

/thread

Ok. So theres been a seismic, colossal shift in an extremely short period of time.
    That will depend heavily on:
    1 - How/when Trump leaves office
    2 - Whoever comes after Trump either way

Only at that point can we really assess whether or not there has been a true shift or if Trump was a proverbial 'bump in the road'. It matters whether the next few presidents copy the Trump playbook or eschew it as hard as they can in determining how much the rules of the game have truly changed.

That will depend heavily on:
    1 - How/when Trump leaves office
    2 - Whoever comes after Trump either way

Only at that point can we really assess whether or not there has been a true shift or if Trump was a proverbial 'bump in the road'. It matters whether the next few presidents copy the Trump playbook or eschew it as hard as they can in determining how much the rules of the game have truly changed.
    If we're talking about the background that a candidate needs to have (which is what I was referring to) to win the presidency, then it ends at the election.

If we're talking about the background that a candidate needs to have (which is what I was referring to) to win the presidency, then it ends at the election.
    Fair enough, though I'd still argue that down the road its going to matter whether or not its a trend that continues or Trump is a one-off.

Fair enough, though I'd still argue that down the road its going to matter whether or not its a trend that continues or Trump is a one-off.
    I see your point now. Yes of course, thats exactly right as far as trends go or if this was just an isolated incident, sort of "the exception proving the rule" type of thing.

Yes, George Washington.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeexbean View Post
    No. George W. Bush Jr. was a fantastic president though and no one can question that.
    What's not to love about George Washington? Sure you could say there were some things he did which would be inexcusable today, but considering the era he was from you can't really ask for much more. Plus he was just a bad ass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    President's are like WoW Expacs , When they are in their prime the loud mouth's all say they are shit. We have a good one now ( Given the choices we had )
    people just need to get over it.
    I mean it's difficult to accurately judge a president while they're in office. Most people's perspectives are far too blurred by their own political bias while a president is in office. It isn't until many years after their term has been served when we can really take a step back and analyze the results of their presidency and the how their influence shaped the future of the country.

I see your point now. Yes of course, thats exactly right as far as trends go or if this was just an isolated incident, sort of "the exception proving the rule" type of thing.
    Exactly. Trump broke the mold (shattered, really) and there's no denying that as you said, but only time will tell if we put it back together or not moving forward post-Trump.