Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Nobody is worse than Boston drivers, and no one road rages like Detroit drivers.

You know what city really needs a sign like that? Friggen Berkeley, CA. Pedestrians there are the most entitled SOBs I've ever encountered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Damn, how bad is it in Cali. The Island (not suffolk due to lack of people) is just hell, plus Queens and Brooklyn are crazy
    Cali drivers aren't actually that bad. There's a LOT of drivers from other countries in NorCal (drivers from India and China especially) who learned to drive overseas and are either too timid to drive in the US, or are used to way different rules of the road. There's also a lot of drivers who didn't get their license until much later in life since driving isn't as much of a necessity in CA, so you have a lot of newer drivers on the road. Those are the people who make up most of the "bad" drivers.

SoCal drivers can be separated by LA drivers, who are all a bunch of entitled assholes who will cut you off and whose commute is WAY more important than yours, and San Diego drivers which also have a lot of self-important people mixed in with a lot of young college drivers, military, and tons of tourists who help gum up the works.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Damn, how bad is it in Cali. The Island (not suffolk due to lack of people) is just hell, plus Queens and Brooklyn are crazy
    It's because of illegals that don't learn to drive and then don't have car insurance either.

I'm in Central Cal and we could use a few hundred of these signs. I see a red light runner at least daily on my drive to work, which is a whopping two stoplights.
    The stretch of 99 near my town is apparently statistically the most dangerous place to drive in America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some one who works at Caltrans is just salty they got sephuz ring

As a SoCal driver, this sign immediately struck me as strange when I read it. Just a strange turn of phrase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    It's because of illegals that don't learn to drive and then don't have car insurance either.
    top kek
    /10

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brimdog View Post
    Also, stupid fucks. everywhere.
    Hahahaha too true man, thanks for the laugh on my commute home!
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

10+ Year Old Account
    Body armor won't protect you from a car going 80 mph.

As a ratio of Moving Violations issued to Number of valid licenses the state with the worst drivers is UT (as a resident I can attest to this in a non-statistical way, albeit with a strong confirmation bias) second worst is CA.

This is why you don't live in LA or San Francisco.

The sign is humorous but not wrong. And I think the idea of changing it to give instruction to pedestrians instead is wrong. It's not the pedestrian's duty to make sure they're not run over. It's not your duty to make sure you don't run them over.

It's both. I've stopped in the middle of a road with speed limits of 50 because some people decided to walk across the road. Short of people suddenly jumping out and suiciding on your car without giving you time to react, then you and I still have an obligation to maintain safety even if they ignore theirs.

You say that a pedestrian gets hit because they're usually on a phone with earbuds in? That's incomplete. There's also usually a lack of attention on the part of the driver. If that's the case, they're a bad driver and should not have the right to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    Are you for real? I question how much you actually drive in SoCal if you seriously think this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stirith View Post
    As a ratio of Moving Violations issued to Number of valid licenses the state with the worst drivers is UT (as a resident I can attest to this in a non-statistical way, albeit with a strong confirmation bias) second worst is CA.
    At least I'm a bad driver with principle: all of my violations have been parking violations.

And boy, have I had a lot of those. Many of them due to the fact that meter maids have no concept of 'spirit of the law.' Like, why does it actually fucking matter if I'm parked more than 18 inches from the curb on a two way residential street that's uncharacteristically wide enough that you could stack 6 cars side by side?
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2017-03-07 at 01:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

7+ Year Old Account
    The counter would be bumper stickers that say, "Freeways don't have sidewalks."

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    It's both.
    Yes, it is both. Both have a responsibility. In this context, the pedestrian's responsibility is to not walk down a fucking freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Yes, it is both. Both have a responsibility. In this context, the pedestrian's responsibility is to not walk down a fucking freeway.
    Of course. And it's also freeway driver's responsibility to look for shit in their path. People in Cali can dodge sofas in the road or trashcans falling out of a truck, so I doubt people can fail to dodge a human under most circumstances.

What I'm complaining about is this implied notion that all of the responsibility for avoiding an accident lies with the pedestrian. Even if it's the freeway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    The sign is humorous but not wrong. And I think the idea of changing it to give instruction to pedestrians instead is wrong. It's not the pedestrian's duty to make sure they're not run over. It's not your duty to make sure you don't run them over.

It's both. I've stopped in the middle of a road with speed limits of 50 because some people decided to walk across the road. Short of people suddenly jumping out and suiciding on your car without giving you time to react, then you and I still have an obligation to maintain safety even if they ignore theirs.
    I think the difference is that a pedestrian that isn't paying attention is a danger to themselves. A driver that isn't paying attention is a danger to everyone. Doesn't mean the pedestrian doesn't have the responsibility to pay attention...but they aren't the one piloting several tons of speeding metal and glass.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, saw it yesterday. Was kind of funny and bizarre.

I'd be arrested for assault if I had to drive in NYC on any sort of consistent basis.

Outside of metro areas though, it's weird, pedestrians are viewed with a lot more reverence than cyclists are. The only walkers that annoy me are the ones who are clearly capable of walking at something above a sloth pace, yet don't bother to. You see them all over in upstate, makes me want to get an air horn system installed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I'd be arrested for assault if I had to drive in NYC on any sort of consistent basis.

Outside of metro areas though, it's weird, pedestrians are viewed with a lot more reverence than cyclists are. The only walkers that annoy me are the ones who are clearly capable of walking at something above a sloth pace, yet don't bother to. You see them all over in upstate, makes me want to get an air horn system installed.
    fuck cyclists!

fuck cyclists!
    Why though? I mean, yeah, the ones that roll through stop signs / red lights are slightly annoying, but that's them taking their own lives into account, not yours.

Some can believe they own the road, around here I simply don't see much of it. Maybe it's worse in NYC. School buses stopping every 10 fucking feet are way more infuriating than cyclists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Why though? I mean, yeah, the ones that roll through stop signs / red lights are slightly annoying, but that's them taking their own lives into account, not yours.

Some can believe they own the road, around here I simply don't see much of it. Maybe it's worse in NYC. School buses stopping every 10 fucking feet are way more infuriating than cyclists.
    they are super slow

they tend to be in the street

some just dart from the sidewalk into the street

they dont look both ways

they are just annoying to be near

you gotta be super duper fucking careful

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Drivers in socal are insane.

Source: lived in socal, worked on outskirts of LA. Crosswalks were sketchy to cross because ermgard, I needta turn!
    To be fair, there is not a place in the U.S. where someone doesn't say the drivers there are terrible.