Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Pffft...

The OP specified American guns with which to protect oneself. Of the handgun brands on the market, the only American ones I can think of are Colt, Ruger, Browning, Springfield, Kimber, and S&W. Of those six, only S&W and Ruger are known for a handgun besides the 1911 and all six manufacture a 1911. I'm not saying it's the best gun, and I personally would pick a SIG P229 or something like that, but there's a reason the 1911 is so iconic.
    Beta Club Brosquad

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    If you cant hit with a .45ACP you are not very likely to hit with a 9mm. The recoil of a .45 is not much greater than a 9mm in a full size handgun, and for me it is easier to handle than the snappy recoil of the 9. My mom doesnt shoot very much, but even she could handle the recoil of a .357Mag out of a snub nose revolver, and she isnt a very large woman.
    Yeah. I have a EAA snub nose .357 made in Germany. Amazing revolver for the money and damn accurate at 15 - 20 feet. It is heavier than most carry conceal revolvers, but the extra weight helps with the recoil. At least with myself.

Another nice thing about revolvers are they are very easy for the elderly or those who are not as strong as most men are to load. Some elderly people have problems pulling the slide back on the autos to load them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder detected View Post
    I don't believe in using guns for home defense. I believe in the American way of diplomacy.
    You have the freedom not to use one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    My favorite american guns would be the M1 garand and the kriss vector (.45 acp) favorite gun allround would be the Chippa Rhino (50D or 60D .357)
    The Garand is a great rifle. Very accurate , but I hated how you had to load it. Had to be careful or you could end up with a blue thumb. :P Much preferred the M14.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Only property owners should be allowed to own firearms and vote for raising taxes.
    Hehe. Thankfully the US Constitution does not say that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Zone View Post

One of those Frontier Marshall Peacemakers from the wild west. I'd pull that mofo out on my assailant and be like, "This is Jimmy".
    Or you could simply say, " I am your Huckleberry".

Beautiful revolver. And every time I see a Colt revolver, reminds me of the famous saying, " God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal.".

Browning 1911A1. Beautiful. Truly artful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yeah. I have a EAA snub nose .357 made in Germany. Amazing revolver for the money and damn accurate at 15 - 20 feet. It is heavier than most carry conceal revolvers, but the extra weight helps with the recoil. At least with myself.
    I keep a 4" EAA Windicator in my bug out bag.

Pretty solid wheelgun for a little over $200

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep a 4" EAA Windicator in my bug out bag.

Yes! That is the exact model I have only mine is a 2" snub nose. Really like it and for under 300 bucks, you really can not beat it. Very solid, well built handgun. Nice to shoot.

I personally have a 12 gauge shotgun, two different Glock 9mm handguns, and an S&W MP15 (AR15). I'm more than ready for defending my home and my family :P.

They're not all American guns mind you, but I still like all of them. The shotgun is a Benelli (Italian) and the Glocks are of course Austrian. But the S&W is an American gun .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder detected View Post
    I don't believe in using guns for home defense. I believe in the American way of diplomacy.
    Alright. Tell us how that goes when an armed robber breaks into your house and holds you and your family at gunpoint.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Brown muthafukkin Bess.

Which might be French now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    The OP specified American guns with which to protect oneself. Of the handgun brands on the market, the only American ones I can think of are Colt, Ruger, Browning, Springfield, Kimber, and S&W. Of those six, only S&W and Ruger are known for a handgun besides the 1911 and all six manufacture a 1911. I'm not saying it's the best gun, and I personally would pick a SIG P229 or something like that, but there's a reason the 1911 is so iconic.
    Springfield is an American company selling Brazillian 1911's, Croatian plastic guns, and their own M1a. Browning, along with Winchester, is a sister company to FN, I'm not sure how much of their guns are made here vs Japan/ Belgium/ Portugal. SIG develops guns in NH as well as Germany, given German export problems.

Remington is the new title for the parent company that bought out Marlin, AAC, Remington, DPMS, Bushmaster, but since their handguns (other than, as you say, a 1911) are not worth mentioning...
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Irrelevant. That's what we used. 88s aren't all that bigger either, btw. The same principle applied to the Mossberg's use on them... the shotgun blast will not harm the surrounding equipment as much as a slug or round would.
    They are big enough I cant see a buttstock being a major issue, especially given the downsides of not having one. Then again, the only firearm I carried in the Navy was a .38Spl.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Winchester also makes pistols (including the 1911), and a large number of smaller ones make 1911s.

Quote Originally Posted by metadox View Post
    If you had a choice to pick a classic or a modern american gun to keep you safe, which one would you pick??

I would love one of these but hard to pick:

1) Revolver
    2) Magnum 44
    3) Peacemaker

Why no 1911? Do you hate freedom bro?

Of what you listed a Pinned Smith 29

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    ...options 2 and 3 are the same as option 1. Revolvers.

Neither. The Magnum is a toy and not a practical carry handgun neither for military, police or civilian uses.

The Colt Single Action is more concealable, but it is a very old piece of technology.

If I HAD TO go with something American and classic the M1911. It is a classic, it is chambered with something that is widely available and normal, it is infinitely more practical than the .44.

Tho a Glock will always be the best choice.
    Never been hiking in bear country have ya? There are practical uses for the 44 mag.

- - - Updated - - -

I did have the choice and I picked Glock for a carry gun........I got all the rest too so I don't really have to stick just 1
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Never been hiking in bear country have ya? There are practical uses for the 44 mag.
    10mm is what you seek.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elven Athena View Post
    KRISS Vector is made in Switzerland, just because they have a US branch to import the gun doesn't mean it's not made in Switzerland. Perhaps try reading the 'ABOUT US' section in their website.

KRISS USA is the North American extension of the Switzerland based KRISS Group. It's a Swiss gun, just like the Swiss/German Sig pistols sold by Sig-USA
    omg nice avatar.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    10mm is what you seek.
    Still underpowered, bullet does not have enough mass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Still underpowered, bullet does not have enough mass.
    how much mass does it need?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

lol this

poll is completely lolwut?

Anyhow. Revolvers are garbage. No reason to own one now cept as a heirloom piece or wall decor.
    Revolvers don't jam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Revolvers don't jam.
    Never had any of my 3 jam before. And that is after decades of use. The one issue they can have which can resemble a jam is if the round being used has a perticularly long projectile which can exceed a little beyound the end of the cylinder wall. Does not take much, as the clearance between the cylinder and breech is very small. There are advantages to a revolver for sure. The advantage for autos is they are slimmer by design , thus better for conceal/carry and they can hold more rounds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    how much mass does it need?
    Enough to penetrate a VERY thick hide while maintaining enough energy to still stop the bear. 10mm Autos have muzzle energies in the 650-750ft-lbs range from bullets weighing 135-230 grains, vs the .44Mag at 750-1500ft-lbs and 240-340gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Never had any of my 3 jam before. And that is after decades of use. The one issue they can have which can resemble a jam is if the round being used has a perticularly long projectile which can exceed a little beyound the end of the cylinder wall. Does not take much, as the clearance between the cylinder and breech is very small. There are advantages to a revolver for sure. The advantage for autos is they are slimmer by design , thus better for conceal/carry and they can hold more rounds.
    My state gun laws allow carry but they can't be concealed.

Sig p226 Legion SAO. Best gun I've ever shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Alright. Tell us how that goes when an armed robber breaks into your house and holds you and your family at gunpoint.
    i guess i would just try to talk them out of it like in Mass Effect, or bend over. some ideals are worth losing a few material possessions for.