Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The American Dream has moved to Canada

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/t...ved-to-canada/

By virtually every measure, Canada has surpassed the United States as the shining city on the hill, where everyone is safe to reach their potential. And people around the world have begun to notice. From the United States, refugees and asylum seekers are now fleeing into Canada hoping for a fair immigration hearing and a better future. In Latin America, there are reports of economic migrants heading north, intending to cross the U.S. border and keep moving, into Canada. And, overseas, ESL students are increasingly choosing Canada over the U.S.
    Whether it was due to geography or history or maybe even policy, we have arrived. Everything America once aspired to be, we now are. Not only have we achieved the fabled American Dream, we are arguably among the safest, healthiest, happiest human beings to have ever existed.

...as the American Dream has now become Canadian, perhaps it is time we also took on the role as the land of the free, and opened our doors wider still. Numerous studies have shown Canada could easily absorb far more immigrants than we do now. In fact, if we want to protect our economy from the effects of an aging population and declining birth rate, we need to attract more.
    It is often noted that in the early 20th century, Canadian prime minister Sir Wilfred Laurier declared, “Canada shall be the star towards which all men who love progress and freedom shall come.” Let’s make that line as famous and meaningful as this once was: “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

California has the same population as Canada but California has twice the GDP of Canada.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    California has the same population as Canada but California has twice the GDP of Canada.
    I like California. They're very progressive and enjoy a high standard of living. If the chart above had measured California vs Canada it would look different. Given that California is propping up the US as a whole, that means the gap in the other 49 states must be even worse.

For all of those thinking about moving to glorious Canadia land of the free.
    1. They gave us Celine Dion (kinda on the fence on this one)
    2. They produced Justin ffing Bieber (a crime so vile I am still hoping the UN will impose sanctions on them)
    3. The weather during all 4 seasons can only be described thus.....
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Well to be fair Canada has to grow pretty much all of their weed indoors while Cali gets to grow outside too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

Deleted
    Canada is really cool. LinusTechTips is from Canada !

Fuck living in Canada all year for the rest of your life. Too cold.

American eagle versus Canada goose.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

You are also forgetting new york and texas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, those numbers don't look all that different. I myself favor Australia or Switzerland, in case the situation in the US deteriorates.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I like California. They're very progressive and enjoy a high standard of living. If the chart above had measured California vs Canada it would look different. Given that California is propping up the US as a whole, that means the gap in the other 49 states must be even worse.
    Oh I assure you that Ontario and BC are propping up the rest of Canada. It's really no different there where some areas usually with the highest populations have more money and success.

And considering the demographic differences you would think Canada would be doing a lot better then this.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2017-03-06 at 02:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

They're such assholes...picked the wrong bird to fuck with lol

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I mean Canada is hardcore carried by like three provinces I think.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Honestly, those numbers don't look all that different. I myself favor Australia or Switzerland, in case the situation in the US deteriorates.
    Switzerland would be your best bet.
    In Oz 99% of the local wildlife will try to kill you, summer there feels like you are on vacation in hell and the internet sucks.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It's been deteriorating for awhile. I thought about NZ/Australia, too. Nice weather.

I grew up in the cold north of Alaska though, so I have a special fondness for mountains and pine trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Risale View Post
    Switzerland would be your best bet.
    In Oz 99% of the local wildlife will try to kill you, summer there feels like you are on vacation in hell and the internet sucks.
    So scary: http://i.imgur.com/ikhc9D8.gifv

Unless we count urban and rural Canada separately, those graphs don't mean much.

That bald eagle has a legit troll face. lol

Ontario maple syrup

Versus Vermont maple syrup

-- Capt. Copeland