Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Health care, nonprofit funding and environmental policies affect my everyday life. I'm not spending a zillion hours a day reading/discussing Trump administration policies, if I was I would likely be far more worked up about things.

I don't have the booty for twerking. Stupid butt exercises.
    Looks like you need this: https://www.amazon.com/Gymnetics-Fit.../dp/B00H3WCT4I

Saw this at my sister's apartment a few years back. Laughed for a week when I realized it was actually a thing.

Health care, nonprofit funding and environmental policies affect my everyday life. I'm not spending a zillion hours a day reading/discussing Trump administration policies, if I was I would likely be far more worked up about things.
    Unless you cannot afford health insurance, it does not affect your daily life. Unless you live in an area with a lot of air pollution or next to a polluted river or next to a deforested area, it does not affect your daily life. I don't know why nonprofit funding would affect your daily life.

Even if you those above 3 things do affect your daily life, reading about what the president is doing in Washington on a broad, national level has probably not affect on anything related to you.

You said that it affects your life enough to live in another place but I seriously doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Looks like you need this: https://www.amazon.com/Gymnetics-Fit.../dp/B00H3WCT4I

Saw this at my sister's apartment a few years back. Laughed for a week when I realized it was actually a thing.
    Lol, "SNATCH IT BACK!" The woman on the left's arms look pretty good, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Unless you cannot afford health insurance, it does not affect your daily life. Unless you live in an area with a lot of air pollution or next to a polluted river or next to a deforested area, it does not affect your daily life. I don't know why nonprofit funding would affect your daily life.

Even if you those above 3 things do affect your daily life, reading about what the president is doing in Washington on a broad, national level has probably not affect on anything related to you.

You said that it affects your life enough to live in another place but I seriously doubt that.
    Environmental policies affect everyone, I work for a nonprofit organization, and everyone is affected by health care policies in some form or another (Obamacare, tax cuts, premiums).

I'm not thinking about moving to Canada because of Trump, lol. Well at least that is not the primary reason, administrations come and go. I've been thinking of moving north for awhile.

Environmental policies affect everyone, I work for a nonprofit organization, and everyone is affected by health care policies in some form or another (Obamacare, tax cuts, premiums).

I'm not thinking about moving to Canada because of Trump, lol. Well at least that is not the primary reason, administrations come and go. I've been thinking of moving north for awhile.
    Environmental policies do not have an effect on getting up in the morning and going to work for most people and then coming home in the evening. On a larger level they might matter over the course of decades but that isn't something you should be reading the news to learn about.

Health care policies have an effect on people who are too poor to buy health insurance, people who are sick or people who are so poor that their health insurance is an actual serious expense in their budget. Reading about what Trump is saying or what congress is voting on won't cause you to make better informed decisions about your health care planning.

Environmental policies do not have an effect on getting up in the morning and going to work for most people and then coming home in the evening. On a larger level they might matter over the course of decades but that isn't something you should be reading the news to learn about.

Health care policies have an effect on people who are too poor to buy health insurance, people who are sick or people who are so poor that their health insurance is an actual serious expense in their budget. Reading about what Trump is saying or what congress is voting on won't cause you to make better informed decisions about your health care planning.
    Health care policies affect everyone, also I'm not going to take advice regarding concern for environmental policies from someone who lives in a city where people have to walk around wearing surgical masks. :/ No offense.

Health care policies affect everyone, also I'm not going to take advice regarding concern for environmental policies from someone who lives in a city where people have to walk around wearing surgical masks. :/ No offense.
    What are you talking about? People in Tokyo wear masks because don't want to catch diseases, not because there is shit in the air. You are thinking of Beijing.

Lol Canada is not where the American dream went. Sorry but people change and so does society as it grows. We are a population of 300million Canada is only 35million. So that statistic does not count for the fact we are a huge population and that it happens to large pop nations. Unemployment is inevtiablle when you are country with hundreds of millions of people living in various regions. Plus dont forget the native americans. Those poor folks dont have much of an education or oppurtunties either.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the alternative? Stick my head in the sand?
    yes stick your head in the sand. you would look awesome.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

What are you talking about? People in Tokyo wear masks because don't want to catch diseases, not because there is shit in the air. You are thinking of Beijing.
    Either way, neither Beijing or Tokyo are shining examples of solid environmental policy.

Lol, "SNATCH IT BACK!" The woman on the left's arms look pretty good, though.
    Ima pass on the arms. That Lana Ector looks good though.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are too major issues with Canada though, its cold and its full of Canadians

10+ Year Old Account

You are just ignoring the reality, assuming that you live in a bubble isolated from the rest of the world. This kind of mentality is the reason so many dictatorships on this planet are successful: pretty easy to manipulate people who stick their heads in the sand and don't put them out, until someone comes, digs out their heads and blows them up.

Not to mention that some of us care not only about what directly affects our lives, but other people too. Empathy isn't exactly an obsolete concept.
    Last edited by May90; 2017-03-07 at 04:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    You are just ignoring the reality, assuming that you live in a bubble isolated from the rest of the world. This kind of mentality is the reason so many dictatorships on this planet are successful: pretty easy to manipulate people who stick their heads in the sand and don't put them out, until someone comes, digs out their heads and blows them up.

Not to mention that some of us care not only about what directly affects our lives, but other people too. Empathy isn't exactly an obsolete concept.
    Okay so if I read the news everyday that will stop the next dictator from rising? Allowing dictators to take over countries is not caused by not reading the news, it is caused by not understanding history, morality or politics. You don't learn those things from reading the news. Obsessing over what is in the paper does nothing but make people feel outraged over things they can't change or wouldn't otherwise know about.

To quote Bryan Caplan, "News is the lie that something important happens everyday".

If you really cared about empathy than you should be thinking about the billions of third worlders who live hand-to-mouth everyday and not the latest dumb thing Trump said in a press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I like California. They're very progressive and enjoy a high standard of living. If the chart above had measured California vs Canada it would look different. Given that California is propping up the US as a whole, that means the gap in the other 49 states must be even worse.
    lol. propping up? Okay guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Risale View Post
    For all of those thinking about moving to glorious Canadia land of the free.
    1. They gave us Celine Dion (kinda on the fence on this one)
    2. They produced Justin ffing Bieber (a crime so vile I am still hoping the UN will impose sanctions on them)
    3. The weather during all 4 seasons can only be described thus.....
    Typical ignorant view. Dion and Bieber were born here, but it took american bad taste to make them stars. You wanted them, own it.

Totally cop to the weather though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay so if I read the news everyday that will stop the next dictator from rising? Allowing dictators to take over countries is not caused by not reading the news, it is caused by not understanding history, morality or politics. You don't learn those things from reading the news. Obsessing over what is in the paper does nothing but make people feel outraged over things they can't change or wouldn't otherwise know about.

To quote Bryan Caplan, "News is the lie that something important happens everyday".

If you really cared about empathy than you should be thinking about the billions of third worlders who live hand-to-mouth everyday and not the latest dumb thing Trump said in a press conference.
    If you are informed on the latest events, you can, for example, go outside when the would-be dictator starts usurping power and demote him/her. If you are not, then you simply are going to miss the point of no return. That is just an extreme example; in general, if you don't know what's happening in the country you are living in, then your decision making won't be as efficient, and you will miss the opportunities and make mistakes in your career, in your family planning, in your electronic shopping lists, etc.

Who says I never think about them? But it is one thing to think about someone living on the other side of the planet and who I'll never meet, and another to think of someone from my university who got stuck in Iran, unable to go back to continue education, because of a stupid discriminatory EO. And people in Iran, you see, don't like those who have studied in the US, especially women...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Okay so if I read the news everyday that will stop the next dictator from rising? Allowing dictators to take over countries is not caused by not reading the news, it is caused by not understanding history, morality or politics.
    No but it starts with paying attention to the news...I suppose we should just give up following the news or improving the world around us, what the hell sort of defeatist attitude is that.

Change does not end with being informed, but it does begin there.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    If you are informed on the latest events, you can, for example, go outside when the would-be dictator starts usurping power and demote him/her. If you are not, then you simply are going to miss the point of no return. That is just an extreme example; in general, if you don't know what's happening in the country you are living in, then your decision making won't be as efficient, and you will miss the opportunities and make mistakes in your career, in your family planning, in your electronic shopping lists, etc.

Who says I never think about them? But it is one thing to think about someone living on the other side of the planet and who I'll never meet, and another to think of someone from my university who got stuck in Iran, unable to go back to continue education, because of a stupid discriminatory EO. And people in Iran, you see, don't like those who have studied in the US, especially women...
    You are right, it is an extreme example and pretty bad one because I didn't say people shouldn't have any idea what is going on in their country, I just said that they shouldn't obsess over the news or bother checking it everyday.

No you will not make mistakes in your career, family planning or your shopping lists. When was the last news article you read that caused you to make a better decision in your career? News articles almost never contain any information that has useful, real world results to it. I have read thousands of news articles and I can honestly say that 99% of them have no direct, noticeable impact on my daily life.

Where people live shouldn't change the amount of empathy you have for them. No one in America suffers like people in Africa suffer and most problems Americans see in the news look like one of those "first world problems" memes in comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

No but it starts with paying attention to the news...I suppose we should just give up following the news or improving the world around us, what the hell sort of defeatist attitude is that.

Change does not end with being informed, but it does begin there.
    Look at what you wrote and then look at what I wrote. Are they the same thing? No, they are not because I didn't say you should give up on following the news nor did I say you should stop paying attention to the world.

Being informed is a lot less important if you are not educated. You can read The Economist and Bloomberg every day if you want but if you don't grasp basic economics, what is the point?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Other than moving to Canada for the sexy accent - they are pretty nice people for sure!

I though, still prefer Murica due to the fact that I've lived here pretty much my whole life, and enjoy the nation as a whole. If you want somewhere peaceful, safe, cold, and with good people: Move hella North.. other than that, if you want somewhere warm, move to Texass' here with us <3