Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I have no interest in accepting redefinitions of the English language because some random Johnny Foreigner wants to make a point, nor could I reasonably be expected to do so
    one english person to another, why do you go to such efforts to sound like a twat whenever you reply to someone?
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2017-03-07 at 09:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Not really. I mean, I'm entirely unsure whether it will happen, but I am entirely sure it can happen. Here's how. Politically, the will to integrate further is already there. We've seen that. The idea will come up eventually. Of course, it is an act that will require the approval of all member states parliaments, and that very likely means that there will be national referendums. I.e., when we get down to it, it is directly dependent on the people themselves. Why would the people want a federation?

It's simple. A federation is an entity whose primary motive is political unity. It doesn't, in any way, prevent its constituent parts from differing in language, culture or local politics. In many ways, the EU already is a federation. The only areas in which it isn't, well, these areas really aren't that controversial, the EU being united in its military or foreign policy, for example, is not a much odder idea than it being united in its market. If the EU wanted it, it could already convert itself into an official federation, just by uniting its armies and foreign policy.

The reason this isn't happening is because it sounds like an affront to many people. The idea that they stop being one nation and start being another nation. However, this is the 21st century. Things are changing. Language doesn't really mean much to people anymore, nor culture, nor their nationality. It means a bit, but you know, patriotism isn't really strong in Europe. Sure it is among some, but I know very many people who really don't think there's nothing important uniting them more with a person of their nationality than with someone outside their country.

Personally, I view my nationality, culture and language as something I'd like to keep, but not as something binding me to anything. I'd go to the US in the blink of an eye, and I just might, if a proper career opportunity turns up for me. I don't see, in this context, how a federal EU can be a bad thing for me as another potential home. There's always strength in unity.
    There is no way every EU member state will vote yes when it comes to making the EU into a federation. Could the EU be converted into a federation? Sure, but not without losing members in the process.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    There is no way every EU member state will vote yes when it comes to making the EU into a federation. Could the EU be converted into a federation? Sure, but not without losing members in the process.
    I agree with that. Actually had a thought on that as well, but didn't want to bloat my response even more. I believe the process where the referendums happen is where some of the member states will be lost. However, if the federalization is delayed long enough (several decades, although we can't really know how fast further integration will be happening), the number of lost member states could be minimal, even perhaps insignificant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post

Not really. I mean, I'm entirely unsure whether it will happen, but I am entirely sure it can happen. Here's how. Politically, the will to integrate further is already there. We've seen that. The idea will come up eventually. Of course, it is an act that will require the approval of all member states parliaments, and that very likely means that there will be national referendums. I.e., when we get down to it, it is directly dependent on the people themselves. Why would the people want a federation?

It's simple. A federation is an entity whose primary motive is political unity. It doesn't, in any way, prevent its constituent parts from differing in language, culture or local politics. In many ways, the EU already is a federation. The only areas in which it isn't, well, these areas really aren't that controversial, the EU being united in its military or foreign policy, for example, is not a much odder idea than it being united in its market. If the EU wanted it, it could already convert itself into an official federation, just by uniting its armies and foreign policy.

The reason this isn't happening is because it sounds like an affront to many people. The idea that they stop being one nation and start being another nation. However, this is the 21st century. Things are changing. Language doesn't really mean much to people anymore, nor culture, nor their nationality. It means a bit, but you know, patriotism isn't really strong in Europe. Sure it is among some, but I know very many people who really don't think there's nothing important uniting them more with a person of their nationality than with someone outside their country.

Personally, I view my nationality, culture and language as something I'd like to keep, but not as something binding me to anything. I'd go to the US in the blink of an eye, and I just might, if a proper career opportunity turns up for me. I don't see, in this context, how a federal EU can be a bad thing for me as another potential home. There's always strength in unity.
    You know, as a Croat, this is the height of irony you're speaking right now.

Pretty pathetic that even within Germany's sphere of influence, it is not the dominant cultural influence. Odd that you tried to mock the strength of British culture previously, then thinking it is pretty poor for me to point that out you come from an obviously weaker culture. Hypocrisy, thy name is Slant.
    The reason for English being the dominant language in Western Europe now was fabricated long ago. You can feel proud of it if it makes you happy, but it has nothing to do anymore with the current situation nor has it anything to do with you personally. So bragging about it makes you look a bit silly.

I speak 4 languages btw, 1 of those is English. Guten Abend.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    The reason for English being the dominant language in Western Europe now was fabricated long ago. You can feel proud of it if it makes you happy, but it has nothing to do anymore with the current situation nor has it anything to do with you personally. So bragging about it makes you look a bit silly.

Sometimes I think people from the Netherlands really don't understand the English they're trying to respond to. Slant attacked British Cultural Strength, Kalis responded by showing we're all speaking English right now, not German.

Quote Originally Posted by Natureapex View Post
    Sometimes I think people from the Netherlands really don't understand the English they're trying to respond to. Slant attacked British Cultural Strength, Kalis responded by showing we're all speaking English right now, not German.
    I'm sure he was going to in his next post.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Deleted
    I'm sure he was going to in his next post.
    Can you tell the future? Or are you just taking a side because you're another butthurt Europhile angry at the evil beady-Eyed Anglos and their need for freedom?

Does posting this picture anger you?

Does posting this picture anger you?
    I have no clue who that guy is and i realy don't care either.

Deleted
    I have no clue who that guy is and i realy don't care either.
    I don't think you can really comment on British-European relationships and politics if you don't know who he is then.

I don't think you can really comment on British-European relationships and politics if you don't know who he is then.
    I think i can just fine.

7+ Year Old Account

You kind of have to living in Holland, I lived there for 2 years, drive for an hour or two in many directions and if you were limited to Dutch you couldn't communicate with anyone.

Also helps that the Dutch have a very limited (poor) pop music industry so kids are subjected to fine UK music videos on tv from the youngest of ages.

Tot ziens.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    You kind of have to living in Holland, I lived there for 2 years, drive for an hour or two in many directions and if you were limited to Dutch you couldn't communicate with anyone.

Also helps that the Dutch have a very limited (poor) pop music industry so kids are subjected to fine UK music videos on tv from the youngest of ages.

Tot ziens.
    Hope you had a good time in Holland. Toedels.

Deleted
    I think i can just fine.
    Well, you think wrong buddy. Sorry about that. That man is Enoch Powell. A man whose entire viewpoint has been proven right and vindicated by the EU's politick bloc.

You have the part where one attacked the other backwards, but seeing your other posts... I guess that is by design.

Well, you think wrong buddy. Sorry about that. That man is Enoch Powell. A man whose entire viewpoint has been proven right and vindicated by the EU's politick bloc.
    Never heard of him and i don't care about him. There are so many people who are right at some point in their lives for once that it's hardly relevant.

You must feel so proud, was he your granddad?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    You must feel so proud, was he your granddad?
    Not at all, I just find it funny this was predicted 40 so years ago, and a man who was branded a fireband and racist then is ultimately proven right. How we replaced classical thinking men like Powell for whining Demagogues who bury their heads in the sand to avoid barrages of insults that have lost all meaning than trying to correct their mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix_7p1qczXs

So again, people who speak of this "Sudden" idea of Brexit, that it's a mad idea plotted by old people. This has always been a strong sentiment in British Politics, so Europeans should probably pay attention more.

May and Trump have only had one meeting, it is not like you have to wade through dozens of videos to find the relevant one.

If you are going to weigh in on a conversation about any potential post-Brexit US-UK trade deal, then I am going to assume you have at least watched the video and if you haven't, then I am going to question why the fuck you think you are in a position to debate it.
    Now you're mentioning a video without even linking to it. Is your copy paste broken or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Now you're mentioning a video without even linking to it. Is your copy paste broken or something?
    He's quite correct. If people want to comment on shit, Why do you also need to spoonfeed them the information in a debate?