10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I'm usually luke warm on the MMQB segments from Peter King at Sports Illustrated, but every so often the guy gets incredible access and writes a solid story about what he found out with that access, and those tend to be pretty damn good.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/01/s...ter-peter-king

That's the story of what happened in the 49'ers draft room during the draft and there's some pretty open insight into their thoughts and maneuvering. Never thought I'd see a team allow a writer to be that clear about what he heard in there.
    Seattle GM John Schneider (26) called.

Marathe: “John, we got a nice juicy fourth pick in the fourth round, 111 overall, for you to move … Yeah, I know, but we like 67 [the third-round pick] too.”

Schneider would think about it.

“He’s got to pee,” Marathe said. “He’ll call back.”

Fifteen minutes passed. Marathe called Schneider back. “Still in?”

Lynch: “Ask him how the pee was.”

Shanahan: “Long one.”

No deal. A few more calls. Some confusion with Schneider about the trade chart. Schneider traded down from 26 to 29, and then from 29 to 31.

-

8:23 PT. Marathe called Schneider. “DUDE!” Marathe said, then looked pained. “HE PUT ME ON HOLD!” … Schneider came back on the line. Marathe said, “You’re on the clock, you know … CALL ME BACK.”

The room could feel it. A gift from the gods. Whether they’re worried about his shoulder or his smoking or his lifestyle, Reuben Foster, the third player on the board, the player Shanahan called “my favorite player in this draft,” sits there.

8:24 PT. No call back. “I don’t think it’s happening,” Marathe announced.

8:25 PT. Lynch called Schneider, who said he’s thinking about it.
    That whole exchange was great. If a rival wants to trade up for your pick, I guess they have to work for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    While Takkarist McKinley assuredly got himself on Goodell's shit list, he won't incur a fine for his on-air swearing.

Other news I didn't see posted here earlier, Randy Gregory decided long ago that he likes weed more than football, failed test #7, reinstatement never, etc..

10+ Year Old Account
    Christine Michael, cut again.

Bills are signing Shareece Wright.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jamaal Charles visiting the Broncos. Still think he should of found a home before AP, unless there are some concerns about his health.

Michael Irvin sexual assault case is "moving forward"

Charles hasn't really played much since 2014, and has been hurt 3 of the last 6 seasons. If he can stay healthy would be nice to have as a 2nd rb, but that is probably a big question mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of 5th year options being excercised today. Notably it's NOT being picked up for Teddy Bridgewater.

I heard some days ago that the logic for this is that if he spends the whole year on PUP that his contract tolls and the Vikings would still get him for 5 years. Obviously if he does not stay on PUP that means he's healthy and that would only be good news for the Vikings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Ron Jaworski and Merril Hoge are the next ones out at ESPN http://thebiglead.com/2017/05/01/are...erder-says-so/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    While Takkarist McKinley assuredly got himself on Goodell's shit list, he won't incur a fine for his on-air swearing.
    He's my new favorite guy. Gave a great one liner immediately. #FineMeLater XD

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Looks like Ron Jaworski and Merril Hoge are the next ones out at ESPN http://thebiglead.com/2017/05/01/are...erder-says-so/
    At the rate it is going, ESPN is just going to be Mike, Mike and loud screaming guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    and loud screaming guy.
    Which one?

ESPN is not lacking for people that talk loud and add little content.

- - - Updated - - -

And so it's true. Bills are not picking up the 5th year option on Sammy Watkins, a player they paid a LOT for to trade up and get, in a stellar WR draft that also had the likes of Odell Beckham, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks and Jarvis Landry.

Incredible to think that what seemed like the most sure thing in a ridiculous WR draft, is pretty much the ONE WR that didn't pan out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watkins was one of the highest graded WRs that draft iirc. Not really to fault the Bills there. Every damn time I heard something about him in the NFL it was an injury.

Also for some reason I remember him having shoulder concerns pre draft as well.
    Last edited by Vetali; 2017-05-02 at 07:21 PM.

Which one?

ESPN is not lacking for people that talk loud and add little content.

- - - Updated - - -

And so it's true. Bills are not picking up the 5th year option on Sammy Watkins, a player they paid a LOT for to trade up and get, in a stellar WR draft that also had the likes of Odell Beckham, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks and Jarvis Landry.

Incredible to think that what seemed like the most sure thing in a ridiculous WR draft, is pretty much the ONE WR that didn't pan out.
    All of the loud screaming guys, covers a lot of what they have left.

Not sure if it is Watkins did not pan out, or more he got stuck on the Bills. He has had 2 60 catch 1k yard (or close enough) seasons. He had 1/3rd of the Bills receiving yards in 2015, so not like he wasn't producing in some dynamic passing offense. Only so much you can expect when Tyrod Taylor is playing QB, and his only strengths are running and not turning the ball over.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of the loud screaming guys, covers a lot of what they have left.

Not sure if it is Watkins did not pan out, or more he got stuck on the Bills. He has had 2 60 catch 1k yard (or close enough) seasons. He had 1/3rd of the Bills receiving yards in 2015, so not like he wasn't producing in some dynamic passing offense. Only so much you can expect when Tyrod Taylor is playing QB, and his only strengths are running and not turning the ball over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Watkins was one of the highest graded WRs that draft iirc. Not really to fault the Bills there. Every damn time I heard something about him in the NFL it was an injury.

Also for some reason I remember him having shoulder concerns pre draft as well.
    He's productive....when healthy. Something like 2k yards and 15 TD's in first 2 seasons. Problem is that he's been injured too much. If he were healthy there's no chance the Bills don't pick up his option.

There's other problems with Watkins though. 37 starts in three years (out of a possible 48), 19 games with three or fewer catches. That's feast or famine and you can't build your offense around that. Need consistency.

- - - Updated - - -

Rams not picking up OT Greg Robinson's 5th year. Not that surprising since he's moved from tackle to guard and even there he's not been productive.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is still hope for Watkins but it largely depends upon health. At least he will be free to test the market and possibly emerge as a good receiver elsewhere. Crabtree is an example of a guy who succeeded similarly.

- - - Updated - - -

Rams not picking up OT Greg Robinson's 5th year. Not that surprising since he's moved from tackle to guard and even there he's not been productive.
    Yep, a wonderful example of the poor talent evaluation and poor development that characterized all Rams picks on offense in recent years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Seems like Peterson wanted to join the Saints after he saw that the Saints played the Vikings on the first day. He also seems okay with sharing the spotlight with the other RBs of the Saints.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Seems like Peterson wanted to join the Saints after he saw that the Saints played the Vikings on the first day.
    Probably a good idea, since playing more than one game a year is unrealistic. Hell, even CJ Spiller managed to be on the roster for week 1 last year.

According to Mike Klis, Denver and Jamaal Charles have agreed to a 1 year, 900k contract with a 100k workout bonus and chance to go up to 3.75 meeting all incentives+roster bonus. Probably not a bad deal since if he makes all of it that means he stayed healthy and had a decent year. If he doesn't no big loss.

Time to see if having 2 injury prone RBs cancel each other out. Otherwise someone off the street or a WR might end up playing RB this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to Mike Klis, Denver and Jamaal Charles have agreed to a 1 year, 900k contract with a 100k workout bonus and chance to go up to 3.75 meeting all incentives+roster bonus. Probably not a bad deal since if he makes all of it that means he stayed healthy and had a decent year. If he doesn't no big loss.

Time to see if having 2 injury prone RBs cancel each other out. Otherwise someone off the street or a WR might end up playing RB this year.
    Only 1M basically? That's cheap as chips. Blount has probably going to have to start thinking really hard about the price tag he's put on himself, cause roster spots are drying up and if Charles is going for 1M then Blount isn't going to get much more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any playing time incentives for him would not be labeled as "likely to be earned" so they would count against next year's cap.