Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Dashcam captures tesla autopilot crash during traffic merge.

How are we supposed to know the autopilot is on? >.>

Even I'm having trouble seeing whats was going on with the lanes there.

It doesn't matter if the autopilot was ON, the driver should pay more attention to the road, especially after seeing that there's a wall and the road is getting overhaul.

I wonder if the yellow barrier messed with the sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    It is very possible. I know the intent of the OP, but people make the same mistakes and worse every minute.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    That, and the fact the previous fog line actually crosses the lane right there. Not even sure how you would program sensors to account for stuff like that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile, thousands of people crash every day.

Auto pilot technology can constantly be improved and perfected, and in nearly all occasions accidents involving self driving cars have been the fault of another person. Humans however... have very limited capacity to improve their driving.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2017-03-08 at 12:03 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Pretty cool actually, it made a mistake but it recovered very well, a lot better than what most people probably would have in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    It doesn't matter if the autopilot was ON, the driver should pay more attention to the road, especially after seeing that there's a wall and the road is getting overhaul.
    What's the point of a self driving car, if I'm supposed to be on razor edge the whole time ready to snatch control away? I might has well drive myself

Another win for the auto-pilot technology. Made a great recovery after that human error. I am looking forward to when this is within my price range.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Meanwhile, thousands of people crash every day.

Auto pilot technology can constantly be improved and perfected, and in nearly all occasions accidents involving self driving cars have been the fault of another person. Humans however... have very limited capacity to improve their driving.
    Humans have many methods and means to improve their driving. Most choose not to because they are the main character of their own story and think they don't need to improve, or even drive remotely cautiously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    What's the point of a self driving car, if I'm supposed to be on razor edge the whole time ready to snatch control away? I might has well drive myself
    Because it's not a self-driving car. Not yet.

Currently, Tesla's autopilot is SAE level 2. It does various things like adaptive cruise control (matches speed of traffic ahead), automatic lane changing, automatic emergency braking, etc. But the human still needs to be there driving.

They plan to eventually make it SAE level 5, which is complete and total automation that drives itself in all conditions, but they're not there yet.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

People overhype Tesla and tesla cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    The cars we have for now are not that bad, you shouldn't be on the razor edge the whole time, just when you see that they're doing road overhaul or see any dangerous situation while driving. It's not like you're just sitting there doing your own job while the car drives from A to B, that could be the case if you were using normal simple roads aka highways without any repairs.

Deleted
    And exactly how do we know this was the autopilots fault and not user error? I'm not defending Tesla, just asking. All we see is a car hitting a barrier.

Seems like a win. Human fucked up as he/she should be driving to begin with, and the car adapted well by not going out of control, and having all the warning lights and such on. A good chance that a human would have gone full panic and smashed into the car on the right.

It was a construction zone, with poorly marked lanes for the autopilot to track. The driver shouldn't have had the autopilot enabled but that is of course easy to say after the fact.

Still, the autopilot isn't ready for 100% autonomous driving which is why the driver always needs to pay attention to the road. At the very least the car was able to quickly correct itself after sideswiped the barrier and not cause a bigger accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    Pretty cool actually, it made a mistake but it recovered very well, a lot better than what most people probably would have in that situation.
    Yeah auto pilot is going to save lives, because when you lose control it is hard to make decisions that quick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Impressed with the recovery. A human driver, after striking a barrier like that, could likely let their emotions get the best of them, and jerk the wheel in the opposite direction, resulting in a huge crash.

Definitely impressed by this.
    Eat yo vegetables