Poll: Vote.

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Does WoW need a modern engine?

What are your thoughts on the topic?

10+ Year Old Account
    no. wow is never going to be a realistic looking game. its not the essence of wow. the engine could do realistic if the developers wanted to, they chose to make a cartoony game. done.

nor do i actually want that in wow. if i want realistic graphics ill go find another game, wow is comforting to me just the way it is. adding higher definition is ok, but leave the realism out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

I think they can find some kind of upgrade that keeps the personality of wow's cartoon while still giving us something higher definition. Maybe like overwatch graphics. They could do more to the current game like add more weather effects like sunlight, more shadow, wind. seasons would make me really happy. The new legend of zelda graphics would be good too
    Last edited by Coffeexbean; 2017-03-08 at 04:40 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    To get a 'new engine' they would have to remake the game in its entirety. Not just port, but recreate from the ground up. There is no way they would ever do this.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    no. wow is never going to be a realistic looking game. its not the essence of wow. the engine could do realistic if the developers wanted to, they chose to make a cartoony game. done.

nor do i actually want that in wow. if i want realistic graphics ill go find another game, wow is comforting to me just the way it is. adding higher definition is ok, but leave the realism out of it.
    not realistic. modern. as in, from the current decade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post

The engine upgrade doesn't inherently mean overhaul of graphics and "realistic" graphics. Blizzard could keep the unique cartoonish art style with more modern gameplay capabilities.

But that's what I would want. If OP is indeed only talking about "Realistic" shit then no the essence of WoW would be gone.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Not for more realistic graphics. For better performance. Most of the engine still only runs on 1 core. Even the 7700k bottlenecks badly.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. It runs smoother in Combat than any other MMO I've played, which is one of the reasons why I've stuck with it for so many years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can they even change the engine without having to completely revamp the game?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

It needs it about as much as your mother-in-laws grocery shopping station wagon needs a tracked-drive and heavy armor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    The engine upgrade doesn't inherently mean overhaul of graphics and "realistic" graphics. Blizzard could keep the unique cartoonish art style with more modern gameplay capabilities.

But that's what I would want. If OP is indeed only talking about "Realistic" shit then no the essence of WoW would be gone.
    This, but yeah a engine upgrade that utilizes modern hardware more effectively would be nice along with DX12 and Vulkan support. Im over Intel/Nvidia is best for wow shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Can they even change the engine without having to completely revamp the game?
    It would basically be WoW 2 so yeah

Game engines aren't like car engines you can replace when they get old. (Pointlessly, though - a new engine is worth more than the typical car which needs one).

They'd literally have to remake the entire game FROM THE GROUND UP to use a new engine.

WoW will never have a new engine.

/thread
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

If they could make the game a bit less CPU dependent, that'd be nice. I like the look of the game, and wouldn't want to really see it go "modern".

There's a reason millions upon millions are playing this game...any potato computer can run it. Blizzard would never shit on a gigantic portion of their playerbase, just to make the game "prettier"

10+ Year Old Account
    The game is fine how it is. I like the graphics of WoW how they are. Why can't people just accept the graphics how they are? JUST DO IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Averrix View Post
    The game is fine how it is. I like the graphics of WoW how they are. Why can't people just accept the graphics how they are? JUST DO IT!
    We aren't talking necessarily about graphics. I really think we need a WoW 2 just to keep up to date. Not sure how they'd do the transition

10+ Year Old Account
    People are too focused on the graphics. An upgraded engine could bring way more game play possibilities.

Deleted
    WoW has the one and only single engine that actually allows fluid game play with very low cool downs. There has yet to be any engine that can even 20% cover WoW's engine on terms of server-client architecture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    not realistic. modern. as in, from the current decade.
    to what purpose? the current engine does everything blizzard wants it to do. the players seem to want something that isnt WoW. go find another game then.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.