Poll: Will you let your kids play wow?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It really depends on their age, on keeping the playtime (hours) under control, etc. Things you probably do anyways in regards to TV time, sleeping schedule, bla bla bla.

I started playing WoW already in my early 20's, so it was never an issue for me, but i hear stories about 12-13 year olds already actively playing (even raiding), unusual amounts of hours.. i probably wouldn't let my 12 year old do that :P

I'd rather they play games where they can take a break or play less without feeling punished. Thankfully kids these days really don't care for MMO's, I hope it stays that way.

I wouldn't want them to play any MMO really. Generally I'd keep a close eye on how invested they become in video games.

Hell No. They gotta play warcraft 3 first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't want/won't have kids, so no.

Why not? It promotes critical thinking, social interactions, and a wide array of other important life skills. I would be slightly worried about their ability to take the game in moderation. Video game addiction is real, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchbringer View Post
    Sure, why not. I don't think they would like it very much though. The leveling phase from 1-100 is in a horrible state. I would expect them to lose interest in such a trivial experience after a couple of hours.
    "My would-be children would be.. *Adjusts glasses* too hardcore for WoW. I'll have you know they'll step out the womb in full legendaries, wielding eSport trophies in each hand"

Not a mmo like WoW or ESO for example, maybe Runescape if still around. Runescape was my first mmo and taught me quite a bit of life lessons regarding money management and having to work hard to achieve a goal. Not to mention the puzzle clue scrolls and quests that didn't hold your hand. Engages the brain more.

Nope. I wouldn't let them play this game.

ya im gonna force my kids to play wow and do profession chores for me or they will be brutally punished. Also if my kid identifies as alliance Ill probably leave him in the dumpster

10+ Year Old Account
    I myself will not have kids, but I see no reason why my soon-to-be-born niece can't play it in a few years. Obviously with me around to keep her from the less desirable aspects of the game. As far as she's going to be aware, all the other people are computers.

Quote Originally Posted by kejer View Post
    I understand most players are teenagers but this game is 13 years old now. Consider there are 2-3 more expansions left in wow (4-6 more years). You can have teenager kids approaching wow playing age.
    As a parent, will you let your kids play wow?

edit:
    If there are parent players (weird combination tbh) browsing this thread, are your kids showing any interests in wow? Bliz may be doing everything they can to advertising hearthstone to new generation but it should know wow's like cigarettes, most of us are attached for life!
    My kids can play whatever they want, but they aren't interested in WoW, it is just meh to them. HS / SC2 / even HotS - fine. Many non-Blizzard titles - fine. WoW - meh, too long, too much of the same and there are flashier games which offer the whole "please log in every day for several years, do a bit of mundane work, and grow your character / team / whatever" story.

Hell no, I want my kids out smoking weed in shitty parks, getting beer bottles thrown through my car window and getting up to all kinds of no good just like I did when I was a stupid little brat! /s

Honestly, video games like wow are probably the best thing your kids can get up to, safe at home having fun with their friends via voice chat...can be a great daily social experience as well as a way to enjoy time with friends/family you rarely see. As long as they're getting enough exercise outside of playing, I don't see ANY problem with kids being gamers and playing the hell out of wow or any other mmo.

Of course I would, why not?

I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near MMOs, of course the genre will be fully dead by then since i don't have kids yet. If i knew when i was younger that i was literally going to waste a full year of my life playing WoW, then i wouldn't have touched the game in the 1st place. Stupid game was ruining my life and i just didn't know it because i was "having fun".

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    It's really not that trivial if you're on a new account without any BoA gear. Easier than the first three xpacs still but that's probably a good thing for younger kids.
    I don't think that's a central point, but - it *is* trivial on a new account without any BoA gear. And when you are crossing expansion boundaries, it becomes trivial to solo instances *AND RAIDS* in prior expansions. Become 71, solo everything in vanilla except Vek'lor+Vek'nilash in Ahn'Qiraj (a special case due to stupid OP self-heal), etc. I am not even talking about so called group quests - they are completely trivial at level.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If there are parent players (weird combination tbh)
    Weird combination? Not at all. Why would you think it is?

Most people start getting into gaming as kids, and while some people will lose interest in it, many will persist. I played Warcraft: Orcs and Humans as a teenager, and stayed with the franchise as I grew older. Real life committments have made it a bit harder to find the time to play the game, but ironically it was having kids that got me back into it. Basically when I had kids I had to cut back on a lot of other activities which required specific time commitments that would clash with trying to be a parent. PC gaming not so much because it's an activity that can be fitted around my parenting time, and thus it has become my biggest hobby.

When I started playing it was something to do during the graveyard shift - I would stay up to my babies late at night and also just to be awake in case they awoke and needed something. Some parents watch tv or read, I played WoW. 10 years later I am still playing, it has just become an ingrained part of my life, like any other hobby.

Most of the people in my guild are adults (in fact one of our raid leaders is in his late 20's and regularly gets jibed about being a kid still). Many of us have kids, some even have kids who are adults.

browsing this thread, are your kids showing any interests in wow?
    Yes. They are 10 now and like watching me play. Even more they like playing themselves. I allow them to, but mostly supervised or for short periods of time. They do stuff like tending my garrison, pet battles, and even just flying around and exploring old world (ie "safe") areas is something they like doing.

Bliz may be doing everything they can to advertising hearthstone to new generation but it should know wow's like cigarettes, most of us are attached for life!
    Horrible comparison tbh. I don't know of any smokers who would endorse the habit to their kids. But I get your point: WoW does have the potential to retain players in the long term.

Seeing the way my kids are so receptive to the game, I suspect that WoW actually has a major potential market there: a new generation of kids whose parents play/have played the game.

my son is not allowed. until he finished his "uni", no can do.

Yes I allowed my Kids to start playing WoW, in fact I encouraged it. During TBC when my Son was 10 He would watch me play and show interest in what I was doing. He was having problems with reading and spelling at School(was diagnosed with ASD a while later)and during raids while I was in Ventrilo speaking to people from other European countries (I'm in the UK) a lot of them said how playing WoW helped them learn English. It gave me the idea that if I could get my Son to read and follow quests to level with my help It would help him with reading at School and it worked.

Later my Daughter wanted to play and as my Son was 12 by then so I made him his own account and my Daughter went on mine. It taught them co-operation and they actually started getting on together, it gave them a common interest and stopped them from fighting all the time in real life.They would go into BG's together and have great fun, My Son became a pretty good PVPer.

One thing I did make clear though was He wasn't allowed to Raid during year 10 and 11 during the week. Told him his GCSE's were too important. My Guild would do Alt runs on a Saturday night and He was allowed to attend those. I saw a lot of Kids in my Guild fail exams and get totally obsessed with WoW and drop out of College or Parents would shut down their accounts if they were doing badly at School/College.

I'd probably toggle on the mature language filter, depending on the age of the kid, because really aside from crude language there isn't much in WoW that would be considered inappropiate for kids.