Changing my upgrade cycle

I have money saved up for a 1080 T (upgrading from 980 TI)i, but I'm wondering if instead of upgrading to the most recent TI every 3-4 years (which is what I usually do, aside from this cycle), it would just make more sense for me to buy the XX80 card. I have a 2k monitor at 144hz, and play graphically demanding games like the Witcher 3.

What do you think, can there be a case made for me to just get a Zotac Amp Extreme 1080 (I hear this is one of the fastest 1080s) for $490 used and just upgrade a little more often? Or is the card still overpriced, given the recent 1080 discounts.
    Last edited by memetootoo; 2017-03-10 at 03:30 PM.

The Asus Strix OC Edition is actually a teeny bit faster, but also almost impossible to find.

Deleted
    Upgrade more often, it's more exciting imo.
    I have a strix 1080 since launch and playing games like witcher 3 at 2k comfortably. Just a bit sad that I went for an i5 instead of an i7. Didn't know Legion would be such a CPU hog.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    The Asus Strix OC Edition is actually a teeny bit faster, but also almost impossible to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by butterknives View Post
    Upgrade more often, it's more exciting imo.
    I have a strix 1080 since launch and playing games like witcher 3 at 2k comfortably. Just a bit sad that I went for an i5 instead of an i7. Didn't know Legion would be such a CPU hog.
    Cool, thanks guys. Wasn't able to find a Strix OC as you suggested, do you think an Zotac AE is still a good pick up at around $500? I've been seeing some 1080 sales for as low as $450 and wondering if $500 is still a good price point, given that the Zotac AE is stock OC'd.

I mean are you planning on upgrading to 4k anytime soon? I've got the Strix and I get pretty mediocre framerates in some games at 4k (looking at you ARK). People have said the 1080TI is basically the first actual 4k card.

$500 is still good. It just boils down to whether you feel this amount of improvement is worth $500. For many it is, for many it isn't, but if it is then maybe this amount of improvement is worth $700.

If you're already spending that much on a GPU you might as well get the 1080 Ti for a larger upgrade percent per dollar.
    Super casual.