Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Should a rapist be invited on stage?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-39274941

An international project featuring a rapist discussing his crime on stage has drawn both condemnation and support. So should a perpetrator be given a platform to share his experience?

"There's a rapist in the building," the protesters shouted as they briefly blocked the entrance. "Get the rapist out."

Their banners and loudspeakers were an unusual sight outside a venue better known for world-class concert performances than controversy.

The anger at London's Royal Festival Hall at the Southbank Centre on Tuesday evening was over South of Forgiveness, an event that would see a woman inviting the man who raped her to discuss the impact of his actions.

The discussion between Thordis Elva, from Iceland, and Australian Tom Stranger had already been dropped from a women's festival at the weekend following pressure from campaigners.

But it was rescheduled after organisers of the Women of the World (WOW) Festival said the debate was too important to silence.

"Rape is one of these critical issues and we need to shift the discourse around it, which too often focuses on rape survivors rather than rape perpetrators", Jude Kelly, artistic director of the Southbank Centre, said in a statement.

Diane Langford, one of the protesters waving placards on the banks of the River Thames, condemned the decision.

"I'm here because I feel a rapist is profiting from his rape," said the 75-year-old, herself a survivor of rape.

"I don't believe there can ever be impunity for a rapist."
    More information inside

Deleted
    Of course a gay person had to start a thread about raging feminists and social justice controversy.

infracted - trolling
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-03-15 at 02:09 PM.

Anyone else confused with the term "rape survivor"?

Its not like most rapes end with death. Is "pickpocketing survivor" a thing too?

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    ..SNIP..
    More information inside
    I feel like this could be a valuable discussion and agree with the premise - but I'm not sure the venue is correct. Such a thing should probably be done someplace with people less . . . sensitive . . . to the issue, who can have a more rational outlook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post

Its not like most rapes end with death.
    You are a chovinistic cis white male scum for asking that question.

Hey, this thread already looks like George Takei's FB page. All we need now is some actual raging feminist.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like the victim was the one who invited him. Surely it's up to her, not everyone else, whether he can come and discuss it with her?

And then people can choose for themselves if they want to watch that or not.

Freedom ain't always that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Sounds like the victim was the one who invited him. Surely it's up to her, not everyone else, whether he can come and discuss it with her?
    Pretty much.

Also, if the intent is to surprise him with a retributory rape on stage that would be karmic.

Why not? Hollywood gives standing ovations to Roman Polanski and people still watch his movies.

Have they just been accused? Yes
    Have they been found guilty? No
    Have they served their time ? Yes

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I like the idea. If we want to "teach men not to rape" then having a rapist as a part of that conversation is beneficial. They're more likely to listen to a more human guy who did something stupid than an angry woman screaming that rapists are monsters. You can distance yourself from rapists then. It's far harder to distance yourself from someone who made a bad decision, probably on the spur of the moment, and hurt someone he cared about. That's the kind of person who will teach more men not to rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    Why not? Hollywood gives standing ovations to Roman Polanski and people still watch his movies.
    And the US elects a known sexual predator to the Presidency ...

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

This no platforming of anything 'controversial' really ticks me off. Sure, try to block his appearance all you want if he's there to talk about how great rape is or something. But he's not though, he's there with his victim to have an interesting talk about something you rarely hear people talk about. But the subject matter is triggering so fuck all that right?

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post

Its not like most rapes end with death.
    They say 'survivor' because 'victim' makes them sound weak/ is triggering or so I heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

10+ Year Old Account
    Emotionally fueled topic, fuels an emotional response.

Nothing surprising here at all.

But I do feel that the discussion should have occurred. He could be completely remorseful, and have a lot to say against the crime he committed. He could be in support of the women. But it seems some aren't willing to give him the chance.

Like many things, if you don't want to see it, just don't go see it. For those who do want to see it, give them their chance to see it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Amy Schumer is given a stage every single day so I guess so.

Deleted
    Sounds like the old shabracks is just jealous about the attention the man, who did his time and is looking to better himself is getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post

And then people can choose for themselves if they want to watch that or not.

Freedom ain't always that hard.
    Yep, that should be the end of that.

Also, ignoring what a rapist has to say about rape is just that: ignorance. Ignorance is pretty much never good. We only stand to benefit from what he has to say. It's not like he's going to convince people that what he did was OK. He's just going to provide some insight on why he did it, which can help society prevent rape in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    And the US elects a known sexual predator to the Presidency ...
    I'm not a fan of Bill Clinton either... but calling him a sexual predator is taking it a little far. He hasn't been convicted of anything.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordago View Post
    Of course a gay person had to start a thread about raging feminists and social justice controversy.

infracted - trolling
    I couldn't give to fucks about the feminist angle, I am more interested in the notion of hearing the side of the rapist and not because I have sympathy but more to understand why they did it and whether they justify it

Deleted
    This event might actually have helped rape victims. Sad to see it shut down.

-

infracted - flaming
    Last edited by SheepHunter; 2018-11-29 at 06:06 PM.