Thread: game value

10+ Year Old Account

game value

i wonder what u guys consider a minimum time played to get value out of a game ? say its the division, witcher 3 or mass effect andromeda - triple A 60 dollar/euro title.

For me it is fine enough, if I get to 1€/h. As in, if game costs 60€, then game was good enough if I played it at least 60h. Sadly... very few games reach that these days.

For $60, I'd need 20 hours of main story gameplay/scenes, and like 20 hours of relaxed side missions and world conquering. Anything less and I'd feel like it wasn't worth the money.

I really feel like it needs 80 hours of content for me to have gotten value though. Of course the type of content matters.

1€/hour typically, but story driven games can get away with up to 2€/hour.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Time played isn't that huge of a deal for me. For example for me the Uncharted games are worth the 80$ launch day price. Heck if anything I'd rather a nice 7-10 hour experience most of the time than a 50+ hour game these days.

Of course all this is pointless because I rarely buy launch games these days. Almost 100$ after tax in Canada is redic when they drop down to 50$ in a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    For example for me the Uncharted games are worth the 80$ launch day price. Heck if anything I'd rather a nice 7-10 hour experience most of the time than a 50+ hour game these days.
    Uncharted 4 is the exact game I thought of when I thought about game value. There's like 15 hours of story/gameplay, 20 if you really really take your time, and there's nothing to do when the game is over but replay the levels trying to look for the collectibles.

I feel like the game wasn't worth $60. It felt bitter when I finished the game and there was nothing left to do.

That game I would call good value at $20. At $40 day one I would call it a premium purchase that you buy because you really like it and want to experience it, like buying fine chocolate because it suits your taste. But at $60 it felt like a rip off.

I don't hold story games that high. To be honest, I could have watched a Let's Play of the game on youtube for free and felt I wouldn't have missed out on much.

Depends on the quality as much as the quantity and that differs from game to game.

Metal Gear Rising was worth the $60 even if it was only an about 12 hours total game.

Witcher 3 was way worth it as was Skyrim. Both are games I bought twice once for PC and once for the console I had at the time and I don't regret it at all. Brand new each time too.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    It only took about half an hour to complete Contra and Mario, but we still shelled out the bucks for those games. Because they had infinite replay ability. Hell, you couldn't even SAVE in those games. Now, it's all about how long it takes to complete the game, because typically people will only run through a game to completion once. It isn't how long a game has to be, it's how long you find the game entertaining. I've put over 1500 hours into the DOS-Based XCOM game on steam, and I paid $9.99 for it. I've barely put 20 hours into The Witcher 3, and I paid full price for it. I get far more enjoyment out of XCOM than I do Witcher, so realistically I would've had no issues paying $60 for XCOM and $10 for The Witcher 3 as far as time spent enjoying it goes. I've blown up Cydonia more times than I've even set foot outside of the first map in The Witcher 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

If I really enjoyed the game I usually don't put a cost/ hour....I really only go down that route when I feel the need to bitch about how much I spent on a not so good game. an 8-10 hour game that has me thoroughly engaged and entertained is still only about $6-8/ hour which isn't bad.

Obviously the longer the game is the better, for the price, but that's not all there is to enjoying a game.

Deleted
    rule of thumb for me is $1.5 / hour

but it first and foremost depends on how much i enjoyed the game
    i don't mind paying $20 for a 4 hour game if i rly enjoyed it.

Time is not a good measurement of worth.

While I have spent 100s of hours in WoW just this expansion alone the quality of the gameplay is still far below most SP experiences I play. Most of the time you see large played time it's the community that keeps the game alive, not the quality of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Uncharted 4 is the exact game I thought of when I thought about game value. There's like 15 hours of story/gameplay, 20 if you really really take your time, and there's nothing to do when the game is over but replay the levels trying to look for the collectibles.

I feel like the game wasn't worth $60. It felt bitter when I finished the game and there was nothing left to do.

That game I would call good value at $20. At $40 day one I would call it a premium purchase that you buy because you really like it and want to experience it, like buying fine chocolate because it suits your taste. But at $60 it felt like a rip off.

I don't hold story games that high. To be honest, I could have watched a Let's Play of the game on youtube for free and felt I wouldn't have missed out on much.
    Uncharted 4 and Naughty Dog games in general are presented at such a high quality they couldn't maintain the same thing by adding filler shit to splice up the played time.

If you think Uncharted isn't worth $60 because it doesn't have some shit filler fetch quests all over the place like most western games do these days then well your feeling on gaming is pretty flawed.

"Doing stuff" should only matter if it actually matters.

Deleted
    Time played doesn't matter to me. I don't determine the value of a game by gametime which is very often made higher due to grinds/useless shit.

Whether a game was worth buying or not depends on whether I enjoyed it enough.
    Titanfall 2 for example was worth it for me. Good gameplay, didn't encounter a bug, fun, good production value overall and considering that this is a shooter, it's actually amazing how much fun that ride was and how interesting the gameplay was throughout the campaign.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-03-26 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Uncharted 4 and Naughty Dog games in general are presented at such a high quality they couldn't maintain the same thing by adding filler shit to splice up the played time.
    I agree, Naughty Dog games are top notch in quality. I actually didn't think about it from that perspective but I'm glad they didn't add useless filler stuff to add time in.

If you think Uncharted isn't worth $60 because it doesn't have some shit filler fetch quests all over the place like most western games do these days then well your feeling on gaming is pretty flawed.
    People have different tastes and different values. I don't think it's worth $60. I don't think adding junk to the game would make it magically worth more. I just don't think what got offered in that game's CD was worth $60. As I said, I'd have been happy to pay $40 for it and felt it was a good buy. It's not that far off.

"Doing stuff" should only matter if it actually matters.
    I agree, but Uncharted is a bit of a different situation compared to say...open world games where you can have character progression, so that little side missions actually do end up buffing or helping your character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    For me it is fine enough, if I get to 1€/h. As in, if game costs 60€, then game was good enough if I played it at least 60h. Sadly... very few games reach that these days.
    Same here. If I really like a game, I will hunt all achievements though, so the time spent adds up.
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

I take it less of an objective measuring way, and more of a subjective, depending on the game, on a case to case scenario.

Plenty of bloated games with little to no interesting content, even though you have dull side-content for weeks; And extremely short, story intensive games, that leaves one wanting more.

1 hour / Dollar is okay, 2 hours / Dollar is good, 4 h / Dollar is great.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually only buy large scale RPGs and strategy games now.

I love games like The Last of Us and such, but I have no interest in the multiplayer of those. So the story is all I am going to do and I don't really want to spend $60 to play a ~12 hour story one time.

$1/hour. I rarely buy full price, and when I do, I regret it about half the time. Steam sales and G2A, with occasional pirating, help make that ratio a reality.

I do fall for hype occasionally and go ham. Just preordered Persona 5 today and had to buy a PS4 since I don't own one, but I'm unlikely to hit 300 hours on just Persona alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    My formula goes like this:
    0.5 hour per 1 euro - acceptable for at least "very good" small games.
    1 hour per 1 euro - my base for thinking that game was justified purchase.
    More than 1 hour per 1 euro - a good value, but kinda something expected from 60 euro games.