Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You were claiming they were "controlling" people. That's just false. They're literally just speaking out against something they don't like.

Does that have some degree of power, in a functioning society? Sure. Is that "bad"? Of course not. You've just recognized that public perception is a "thing".
    Do you know what power means in a social context? Yes or no?

"In social science and politics, power is the ability to influence or outright control the behavior of people. "

These people are not just speaking out against something they don't like, they fuck them over due to their influence. Over something harmless. That's not good.
    Last edited by Moratori; 2017-03-18 at 10:09 PM.

I'm offended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Oh no, an article. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's really hard to take you guys seriously. The entire position boils down to "Shut up unless you're saying what I'm OK with," while you bitch about other people supposedly doing the same thing. I'm sorry someone has an unfavorable opinion of him. If it's really so bad as to be illegal, he is certainly welcome to hire himself a lawyer and get some justice. If not, then I guess it's just free speech and you need to learn to deal with it instead of trying to censor anyone who hurts your feelings.
    I love this...

Guy makes an unoffensive dad joke on twitter that can only be seen by people who actively follow him and has his life turned upside down... "OMG SO SEXIST THINK OF THE WOMEN"

Journalist makes a completely unfounded accusation of racism on his outlet's website which is visited by presumably large numbers of people who now only see a headline accusing him of racism... That could forever haunt the guy's career since it will forever be on the internet... "Wow grow up and quit crying you baby, quit being so offended!"

The mental gymnastics are unreal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    Do you know what power means in a social context? Yes or no?

"In social science and politics, power is the ability to influence or outright control the behavior of people. "

These people are not just speaking out against something they don't like, they fuck them over due to their influence. Over something harmless.
    So you're suggesting that, I dunno, society or government or something should take away their power? Like, I dunno, maybe by organizing events against those people?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Do you think someone who does a antisemitic statement isnt antisemitic?

In germany, we have people talking about "I am no racist, but.." followed by a racist statement. Take a guess if the person saying that is a racist.
    If I point out a failing of people of my own color, am I a racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You'd have to literally think nobody should be responsible for their actions or the consequences of their actions to think this is a sensible implication.
    I just think it's better to take precautions ~ some people have dangerous ways of thinking!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    If I point out a failing of people of my own color, am I a racist?
    Are you?

Is it racist to say that "white people have more problems with the sun than black people"?

In comparison to "All black people steal"?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The fact that you don't find it harmful doesn't mean others don't.
    Neither being "offended" nor "hurt feelings" fall under the "harmful" umbrella.

So you're suggesting that, I dunno, society or government or something should take away their power? Like, I dunno, maybe by organizing events against those people?
    People are doing something to fight it. People like Trump is the counter-reaction and I don't believe it will stop at Trump if it doesn't change.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are doing something to fight it. People like Trump is the counter-reaction.
    So, in this case you believe it is the governments job to ensure that certain groups of people don't have "too much power"?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Neither being "offended" nor "hurt feelings" fall under the "harmful" umbrella.
    In your ever-so-humble opinion.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

So, in this case you believe it is the governments job to ensure that certain groups of people don't have "too much power"?
    Both the people and the government.

No, the level is that they're fucking peoples lives up for saying things they don't like.
    How about you/that guy stop being such a giant pussy?! No ones live was fucked up. He made a public comment and now faces a public reaction. Actions have consequences! Stand by your choices and stop whining like a little bitch!

Also, a libertarian complaining about a negative market reaction, lul ...
    Guns don't kill people! Toddlers kill people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.

Deleted
    Racism is discrimination and prejudice.

Not pointing out differences.

People are doing something to fight it. People like Trump is the counter-reaction and I don't believe it will stop at Trump if it doesn't change.
    Trump is stupid people electing a stupid candidate for president, nothing else!
    Guns don't kill people! Toddlers kill people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydevours View Post
    How about you/that guy stop being such a giant pussy?! No ones live was fucked up. He made a public comment and now faces a public reaction. Actions have consequences! Stand by your choices and stop whining like a little bitch!

Also, a libertarian complaining about a negative market reaction, lul ...
    I'm not a libertarian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both the people and the government.
    So, these "people" should, I dunno, organize against those they feel hold too much influence and power and maybe, I'm just spit-balling here, start some activism against them in order to accomplish various goals that would remove some of the power they wield....like, again I'm just throwing this out there, getting them fired from a job where their publicity allows them to influence a lot of people?

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    I would not call "DEATH TO ALL JEWS" pointing out differences.

Just at a side note.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Oh no. Someone made a disparaging joke that other people got offended by on the internet. Whatever shall we do?

I'm pretty sure I lean to the left of the spectrum, and my opinion is that all the people being upset need to grow up, including the people who are upset because other people are upset.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydevours View Post
    Trump is stupid people electing a stupid candidate for president, nothing else!
    That you fail to understand cause and effect is on you.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Only no one cares about people yelling on twitter or refusing to do business with him... They care about articles being published accusing him of sexism, misogyny, racism, etc...

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/15/149...hreat-children

Here's an article about JonTron being a white supremacist, Colin Moriarty hating all women, PewDiePie being a practitioner of antisemitism, etc...

Then there is the International Business Times article linked earlier where Colin Moriarty was accused of being a racist for this tweet.

That is character assassination, or downright defamation in the case of PewDiePie and Colin Moriarty... Since they are literally not racist or antisemitic... Yet the media running headlines accusing them of it.

You mean this one?

http://www.ibtimes.com/kinda-funnys-...ts-his-2507600
    Correction 3/14/17 4:01 p.m.: The previous headline and version of this story inaccurately described a joke tweeted by Colin Moriarty as racist. It was not. The article has been changed to reflect this.