Page 44 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    They are the same thing functionally. The guy feels the need to express a joke, the complainer feels the need to call their employer and to demand that they resign. You can argue that the latter person acted much more shitty, and I agree with it - but ultimately, they both acted within the boundaries of the law and did what they saw fit.

And no, both are "very real". You may see the harmless joke as imaginary because it doesn't affect you emotionally, but it can affect some overly sensitive people - for them, their feelings as real as anything else.
    I think I might've misunderstood what you were comparing. I thought you were calling people who complain about stupid things like the joke and people who complain about people trying to ruin other's lives the same thing. Expressing one's opinion is the same generally. There's a big difference between expressing an opinion and maliciously trying to get people removed from a job, of course.

And those overly sensitive people don't belong in society because literally everything can be offensive. It IS made up because of lot of mental health problems are in people's heads based on their perspectives. They can literally turn off their 'offended' feelings through stuff like CBT and tada, they aren't offended. The random irrational issues like that likely arise from trauma earlier in life which is a serious matter that they should get help for. (I'm summarizing a long process). As a society we can't lower the bar to the point that disabled people can do /everything/. It's the same with all these people who get 'triggered' over the smallest of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You guys ignore the agency of the companies involved. They're not forces of nature. They're just people making people decisions as people do. If Disney cut ties with Pewdiepie, it's because they saw something they didn't want around them and got rid of it. That someone brought it to their attention is irrelevant because all that means is he was benefiting from Disney's ignorance, not their approval.
    Yea, I'm sure they're totally glad they dropped the biggest Youtuber on the planet over a literally false hitpiece cooked up by some crackpot 'journalists'. Meanwhile there are probably some less-than-savory jokes out there made by movies owned by Disney and yet those trains keep on rolling. It's just dumb, man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeIsRandom View Post
    Hey there! Looks like you're having trouble understanding what a joke is! Let me dig Clippy out of Bill Gates' basement and we'll have him explain it to you nice and slow.
    You're wasting your time man. That ship sailed a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    I think I might've misunderstood what you were comparing. I thought you were calling people who complain about stupid things like the joke and people who complain about people trying to ruin other's lives the same thing. Expressing one's opinion is the same generally. There's a big difference between expressing an opinion and maliciously trying to get people removed from a job, of course.

And those overly sensitive people don't belong in society because literally everything can be offensive. It IS made up because of lot of mental health problems are in people's heads based on their perspectives. They can literally turn off their 'offended' feelings through stuff like CBT and tada, they aren't offended. The random irrational issues like that likely arise from trauma earlier in life which is a serious matter that they should get help for. (I'm summarizing a long process). As a society we can't lower the bar to the point that disabled people can do /everything/. It's the same with all these people who get 'triggered' over the smallest of things.
    As long as these people act within the boundaries of the law, they absolutely belong to the society, no matter how hard it is for them to live in it. Other people are free to call them out on it, to take countermeasures, etc. Everything is a fair game, that operates within the law.

I would agree with the point that the society should rather move towards mutual cooperation, than resentment of each other over petty matters, and, trust me, I don't like it when people get out of their way to be offended by everything any more than the next person does. I, however, think that the societal change should be gradual, arising from the open discussion - there is nothing that needs to be addressed by the law in this regard, the society should find the path forward for itself naturally. Until then, people are free to have any opinions, to be offended by anything, to be offended by people offended by anything and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Well, I certainly agree with that: I would prefer to live in a world where a simple joke cannot lead to a huge public backlash. But it is merely a wishful thinking. You can disagree with the people's reaction, you can dislike the outcome, etc. - but all this is simply one of the darker sides of a free society. People's actions and the outcomes aren't always reasonable or fair, but they are what they are.

The OP would have more success if he tried to draw people's attention to this problem and to state his opinion. Phrases like "the regressive left needs to stop" are pretty much as silly and hypocritical as the actions of people outraged over a simple joke. I can listen to Sam Harris' arguments on topic and agree with many of them, the guy makes a lot of sense. But the OP simply demonstrates glaring ignorance in how a free society works, and that's what we've mostly been discussing here.
    Can't you see why this sort of freaks people out though? I mean, heaven forbid someone make a joke... thats what is scary. The buzzwords used by the OP are dumb, sure, but that doesn't counter what the thread or story is about; some guy made a joke and a bunch of insane people demanded that his life essentially be ruined. That is incredibly disturbing to me. And whats worse, is we have people here actually saying thats a good thing, ironically many of those same people were defending Samantha Bee after she called a guy with cancer a nazi because of his haircut. This is really about politics and nothing more. People in these threads are only swayed by that, and with no consistency, you aren't actually arguing in favor of your morals, but in favor of your political party.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Can't you see why this sort of freaks people out though? I mean, heaven forbid someone make a joke... thats what is scary. The buzzwords used by the OP are dumb, sure, but that doesn't counter what the thread or story is about; some guy made a joke and a bunch of insane people demanded that his life essentially be ruined. That is incredibly disturbing to me. And whats worse, is we have people here actually saying thats a good thing, ironically many of those same people were defending Samantha Bee after she called a guy with cancer a nazi because of his haircut. This is really about politics and nothing more. People in these threads are only swayed by that, and with no consistency, you aren't actually arguing in favor of your morals, but in favor of your political party.
    I think that's a good thing that people express their opinion, indeed, and that goes for all political sides: even going very far in any direction, I think it is better to have neo-Nazis tell us what they think, so we can respond and challenge their views in public. Even though I think their views are absolutely discussing, I am absolutely in favor of them speaking up - as I am in favor of other people speaking up in response.

Whether you like the outcome of this story or not, is irrelevant. The guy willingly put himself in a position where his public tweeting matters; then he willingly tweeted the controversial joke; then he willingly resigned, lacking the desire to have to handle the backlash. It doesn't freak me out in the slightest. I understand those who are freaked out by it, but, really, they should either learn to deal with it, or move to a society in which people have fewer individual freedoms. I moved in the US exactly because I prefer the open format, a free market of ideas; otherwise I would have moved to Europe.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. The hypocrisy is mind-blowing and that's what's so dangerous about these people. They're okay if you're a follower of them but if you disagree with anything, good luck not having your head virtually lopped off. Gotta fall in lockstep or else. Man that lockstep sure sounds a lot like goosestepping... I know the 'They're like the Nazis' is vastly overused but there are a ton of similarities in the style of the extremists on all sides of the aisles, which is the point. I mean, I remember seeing someone replace all the 'white' for 'black' or 'jews' when it comes to articles about race and it legit sounds like a fucking KKK or Nazi propaganda article. The problem I have is that this kind of behavior shouldn't have power like that. We don't give Nazis or the KKK power and we shouldn't give AntiFa or far-left SJWs power.

As long as these people act within the boundaries of the law, they absolutely belong to the society, no matter how hard it is for them to live in it. Other people are free to call them out on it, to take countermeasures, etc. Everything is a fair game, that operates within the law.

I would agree with the point that the society should rather move towards mutual cooperation, than resentment of each other over petty matters, and, trust me, I don't like it when people get out of their way to be offended by everything any more than the next person does. I, however, think that the societal change should be gradual, arising from the open discussion - there is nothing that needs to be addressed by the law in this regard, the society should find the path forward for itself naturally. Until then, people are free to have any opinions, to be offended by anything, to be offended by people offended by anything and so on.
    My problem is that these special snowflakes have way too much power and influence when their opinion is literally worthless to 99% of businesses. and as Lemonpartyfan put it above me, the hypocrisy is ASTOUNDING. How many of those damn images have I seen where WSJ/HuffPo/Salon (it might not literally be them) and the like are attacking a guy for being sexist because he 'objectified women' and then on the other hand, objectifying the fuck out of 'male swimmer's bulges'. I think people were right to be afraid of the far right and should rightfully be afraid of the far left because the two are cut from the same cloth, just a different color and smell to it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that's a good thing that people express their opinion, indeed, and that goes for all political sides: even going very far in any direction, I think it is better to have neo-Nazis tell us what they think, so we can respond and challenge their views in public. Even though I think their views are absolutely discussing, I am absolutely in favor of them speaking up - as I am in favor of other people speaking up in response.

Whether you like the outcome of this story or not, is irrelevant. The guy willingly put himself in a position where his public tweeting matters; then he willingly tweeted the controversial joke; then he willingly resigned, lacking the desire to have to handle the backlash. It doesn't freak me out in the slightest. I understand those who are freaked out by it, but, really, they should either learn to deal with it, or move to a society in which people have fewer individual freedoms. I moved in the US exactly because I prefer the open format, a free market of ideas; otherwise I would have moved to Europe.
    I do want to quickly point out that I don't think these kinds of extreme opinions should be silenced because proving them wrong is really easy. I have a problem with the power the far left SJWs hold in our current society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    My problem is that these special snowflakes have way too much power and influence when their opinion is literally worthless to 99% of businesses. and as Lemonpartyfan put it above me, the hypocrisy is ASTOUNDING. How many of those damn images have I seen where WSJ/HuffPo/Salon (it might not literally be them) and the like are attacking a guy for being sexist because he 'objectified women' and then on the other hand, objectifying the fuck out of 'male swimmer's bulges'. I think people were right to be afraid of the far right and should rightfully be afraid of the far left because the two are cut from the same cloth, just a different color and smell to it.
    They only have as much power as the society reacts to them. People are free to ignore them, if they want, or to listen to them and even be controlled by them. I, for one, couldn't care less if someone thinks my opinion is sexist, for example; but you bet, if I ever apply for a position on which my public image will be critical to my success, I will take into account the fact that I'm going to have to moderate my speech in a certain way, or face the consequences of my employer's reaction to people's reaction to my words.

Do realize that the whole story wouldn't exist, if the guy simply refrained from making one controversial Twitter post. It is much easier for one to control their own behavior, then to try to control that of thousands followers.

They only have as much power as the society reacts to them. People are free to ignore them, if they want, or to listen to them and even be controlled by them. I, for one, couldn't care less if someone thinks my opinion is sexist, for example; but you bet, if I ever apply for a position on which my public image will be critical to my success, I will take into account the fact that I'm going to have to moderate my speech in a certain way, or face the consequences of my employer's reaction to people's reaction to my words.

Do realize that the whole story wouldn't exist, if the guy simply refrained from making one controversial Twitter post. It is much easier for one to control their own behavior, then to try to control that of thousands followers.
    Unfortunately, business will look to take the safe position and apolgize and fire/have someone to resign to appease morons who think jokes like that are racist. Or use the terms alt-right and Nazi like they were the equivalent of libtard and cuck.

It must be nice to live in your mind where people aren't using those terms as hateful brands to make people into outcasts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    So every little slight is definitely racist/sexist just because you feel like it?

Is this racist, or nah since its against white people?

This guy clarified today that he was not fired from Bioware for this, he left on his own a month ago to start his own indie studio. He faced literally zero repercussions for this.

snibbity
    I've been avoiding bioware like the plague for a couple years now. They have a bunch of sjw's trying to push their agendas into gaming now.
    Kingdom Come: deliverance can't come soon enough
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's a stereotype that your nagging wife won't shut the fuck up.
    Is colin moriarty married or working with his wife?
    Fairly certain the answer is two no's.
    I make that kind of joke all the time. Thing is, I'm not an outspoken shitlord with an anti-feminist agenda,
    Context matters?
    I should introduce you to endus.
    so when I say it it probably IS just a joke, not a shitty political statement. Context matters.
    What's wrong with the political statement?
    Is it badthink?
    Like I said earlier, this joke was just the final straw, the company he worked for had clearly had enough of his shit.
    You know they used to fire people for being in the NAACP?
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2017-03-19 at 10:15 AM.

So you got no problems with me calling your boss and getting you fired for stating something offensive on the internetz? Even when what you said wasnt intended to be offensive in any way, shape or form?

If you do, you're a hypocrite. If you dont, you've lost. Game over.
    Last edited by Grimreaper; 2017-03-19 at 10:17 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    And I'm not a feminist.
    No you just defined dissent with it as a 'shitty political statement'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    So you got no problems with me calling your boss and getting you fired for stating something offensive on the internetz? Even when what you said wasnt intended to be offensive in any way, shape or form?

If you do, you're a hypocrite. If you dont, you've lost. Game over.
    I got no problems with you trying.

Deleted
    They are the same thing functionally. The guy feels the need to express a joke, the complainer feels the need to call their employer and to demand that they resign.
    The problem is that the first has no negative societal consequences, the latter principle will ruin a society given time.
    And no, both are "very real". You may see the harmless joke as imaginary because it doesn't affect you emotionally, but it can affect some overly sensitive people - for them, their feelings as real as anything else.
    And those people should be told to grow up and get real, again, because the principle of coddling them will ruin a society given time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    And those people should be told to grow up and get real, again, because the principle of coddling them will ruin a society given time.
    Well, you are free to tell them that.

Deleted
    Well, you are free to tell them that.
    Well they wont listen, the goal is to reach everyone else - Their childish tantrums needs to be socially shunned.
    In a perfect world, the statement "i'm a feminist" needs to be met with as much acceptance as "i'm a Nazi" - fine that's hyperbole, but you get my point.

I got no problems with you trying.
    Now you're dodging the question again. I guess you are a hypocrite then.

You know they used to fire people for being in the NAACP?
    And was there legal recourse for that?

- - - Updated - - -

No you just defined dissent with it as a 'shitty political statement'.
    He's a shitlord, that's an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Haven't read the thread, because I can't get passed the hypocritical title.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's no double standard.

I don't have an issue with people getting bent out of shape over stuff. I might take issue with the REASON they got bent out of shape, but not that they did.

People are attacking me for pointing out that the joke's a little sexist, because nobody should take offense to stuff like that. Despite them clearly having taken offense to my remarks. Which makes their position hypocritical.

I don't think getting bent out of shape over something is automatically "bad". There's no hypocrisy on my end.
    Because people taking issue with the reason you got bent out of shape here have to do additional things on top of that. Whatever it takes to paint yourself in better right than other people. So yeah, there may be no hypocrisy on your end, yay. That doesn't mean there isn't other bullshittery there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Colin Moriarty?

Anyway trying to not sound like I'm blaming the victim, he could have apologized and explained himself a bit but obviously that wouldn't work on the more rabid of his "critics".
    There's no need for him to apologize, so why would he? Anyways, "voluntarily resigned". I have to wonder if he still gets paid off of the youtube channel that he founded. Maybe he's just behind the scenes now, and not in front of the camera. Fuck these triggered bitches.