Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eh actually gaming (console gaming) is more expensive than before here in south america due to two things:
    A) Hardware is quite a lot more expensive (around 45% more expensive) than buying it in the US.
    B) (RETAIL) Games are priced more expensive now, that and the lower ammount of games bought due to the pricetag.

If B) happens then there comes a situation where buying used games is somewhat rare and still somewhat expensive thing to do (like getting gta V at 40 bucks used).
    One solution would be buying games online, well that happens for PC gamers without a doubt as PC gaming is more accustomed to steam (mainly because of PC gaming being dropped by retail). Also there are barely any online sales on the latin american stores (no amazon for example).

The argument for "cheaper now than before" only works on the "main gaming" countries as in US-CANADA-EU, maybe AUS, but outside of that go ask that same question for russians, brazilians, south americans overall, some south africans, it is not a cheap activity atm.
    And lets not talk about how fucking expensive ryzen is here :'( it's around 530 USD, same as the switch, 1 SWITCH FOR 530 USD yep, 1 game for around 75 USD NO NO NO, there's a reason piracy is quite known here.... my last 3ds game that i bought was MH4U for 54 USD.
    Last edited by barackopala; 2017-03-22 at 05:05 PM.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    OooooK. The video is sticking with U.S. dollars and retailers. One would assume it mainly applies to the U.S.
    Making generalized assumptions on EU forums such as this. Go back to your cave.

Please post productively and on-topic. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-03-23 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Eh actually gaming (console gaming) is more expensive than before here in south america due to two things:
    A) Hardware is quite a lot more expensive (around 45% more expensive) than buying it in the US.
    B) (RETAIL) Games are priced more expensive now, that and the lower ammount of games bought due to the pricetag.
    South American prices are ridiculous because of government taxes on imports. You can't seriously be trying to put that on the gaming industry. That is not in their hands. The money is not going to them, it's pocketing the lining of your government. Don't try to paint this false picture that gaming companies are over charging when most of that price tag is taxes.

Every company can't afford to have a manufacturing plant in certain countries to avoid ridiculous import taxes.

Didn't watch the video, but still commented.

I wish this were true, but its not. Most people who play games are not effected by inflation.
    One thing that is cool is how active free and fan-made options are.
    For example, my favorite games are WoW, Pokemon, and RPGs.

For WoW, I can play legion all day long, but also find love for Classic and TBC on free private realms.
    For Pokemon, the main games are neat, but some of the best experience I've had is in free fan-developed projects.
    And I mention RPGs because within 3 weeks, Breath of the Wild (imo one of the best RPGs ever created) is nearing full play-ability entirely for free on the PC.

Staggering.
    But the games themselves are still way too much money for what they are worth.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    This is hardly an EU forum, not quite sure where you got that from.

And even then, are you saying that N64 games were cheaper in EU than current games now? Because that's what it boils down to it seems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    This is hardly an EU forum, not quite sure where you got that from.

And even then, are you saying that N64 games were cheaper in EU than current games now? Because that's what it boils down to it seems.
    Because the founder of this place is French?

Because the founder of this place is French?
    And since then, has been bought by Curse, which was bought by Amazon, and the headquarters are in Alabama?

Granted, that's getting off topic. I'd like to echo my second question

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    And since then, has been bought by Curse, which was bought by Amazon, and the headquarters are in Alabama?

Granted, that's getting off topic. I'd like to echo my second question

I could buy n64 games for 300 Finnish marks and now microsoft is selling new games for 80 €. With our 1 % inflation since we moved to euros that is still way more expensive than it should be.

And your argument is bullshit as the roots of this community is in Europe, as is all non-low-brow western culture. But I guess it doesn't matter when you can always buy what you don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    I wish this were true, but its not. Most people who play games are not effected by inflation.
    This. You keep saying its cheaper and inflation blahblahblah, but do you actually get paid the 30% + more to do the EXACT same job as you did then? I remember working in a grocery store in high school making $11 per hour, And I'm pretty sure that's pretty much the exact amount most people working them are making these days.

If you've moved up in the world and your current job makes more money, that doesn't make it cheaper. it just makes you slightly more wealthy.

For it to be cheaper you need to be making the same money adjusted to inflation doing the same job you were doing previously, while the cost of games adjusted to inflation is lower.

Quote Originally Posted by analmoose View Post
    This. You keep saying its cheaper and inflation blahblahblah, but do you actually get paid the 30% + more to do the EXACT same job as you did then? I remember working in a grocery store in high school making $11 per hour, And I'm pretty sure that's pretty much the exact amount most people working them are making these days.

If you've moved up in the world and your current job makes more money, that doesn't make it cheaper. it just makes you slightly more wealthy.

For it to be cheaper you need to be making the same money adjusted to inflation doing the same job you were doing previously, while the cost of games adjusted to inflation is lower.
    You don't understand how inflation works.

Mentioning a minimum wage job meant for people currently in school and not as a career is flat out laughable. Anyone that has a career for a strong company is usually getting raises far and above the inflation rate.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-03-22 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You don't understand how inflation works.

Mentioning a minimum wage job meant for people currently in school and not as a career is flat out laughable. Anyone that has a career for a strong company is usually getting raises far and above the inflation rate.
    And you don't have any reading comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by analmoose View Post
    And you don't have any reading comprehension.
    I have plenty of it. Your post basically said "Minimum wage jobs don't keep up with inflation so companies who do get effected by inflation should make games cheaper for me".

You're done here, when you understand how inflation works maybe you can come back and comment.

I have plenty of it. Your post basically said "Minimum wage jobs don't keep up with inflation so companies who do get effected by inflation should make games cheaper for me".

You're done here, when you understand how inflation works maybe you can come back and comment.
    Not at all what i said. You're an idiot.

Deleted
    I wouldnt mind 60 dollar season passes.
    But as it is about max profits, they will never going to give enough content to justify them.

For example Last of Us 1 season pass was nickel and diming according to some fans.
    Releasing DLC outside season pass. And the story dlc would've been cheaper alone rather than with season pass.

This is the main reason I didnt buy Arkham Knight season pass was same reason. I knew 90% of the DLC would be skins and "challenge mode" bullshit. And what you know, even the story modes were under 30 minutes just brawling in few rooms.

Fallout 4 too. If youd buy the real story DLC's that dont last 20 minutes, youd buy like 2 DLC only.
    Youd save a lot of money compared to whole season pass, which price they increased for random reasons because "workshop DLC" costs a lot I guess.

Season passes are like pre-ordering. Why the hell people still do it? It keeps going because they know they can gauge money easily like that.

You aint saving money buying Pass, you sometimes even lose money because of useless throw-away skins.
    You dont even get the DLC earlier than those that buy them stand-alone. Literally no reason

Now look at things like Witcher 3.

Hell, look at Overwatch. They could have easily put season pass for new heroes. They could've easily put skins and stuff as micro-transactions instead of loot boxes.
    But they did base-game and just rng loot boxes. They dont charge for extra maps. They dont put any bullshit paywall on seasons or anything. Theres no "Overwatch Elite" subscription either.
    And that game sold quite damn well.
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2017-03-22 at 10:02 PM.

Again...simple to figure out the video is basing on U.S. prices.

And when was this considered EU forums?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

TLDR: MSRP hasn't risen in a long time, and is arguably much cheaper in many cases than it was in the past. Granted, they cut from the main game to DLC you these days, but even with that added cost, its still often cheaper or at least break-even with costs in the past.

Visited my parents last weekend and they asked me to go through some of my old stuff still sitting in their basement. Came across my box for Ultima Online from 1997: $54.99 USD. Inflation-adjusted that was $81.

Warcraft2 (94) and Starcraft (96): $49.99, Diablo2 (00): $59.99

I remember taking the bus as a kid to buy Final Fantasy3 (FF6) from Toys-R-Us with money I had saved up. Don't remember the exact price, but it was at least $70. Inflation-adjusted that is ~$110 USD. At least that game was good for a solid 50+ hrs. Rewind a few years before that to FF2 (FF4) and you got maybe 16-18hrs out of that despite SNES prices being about the same throughout the era.

10+ Year Old Account
    South American prices are ridiculous because of government taxes on imports. You can't seriously be trying to put that on the gaming industry. That is not in their hands. The money is not going to them, it's pocketing the lining of your government. Don't try to paint this false picture that gaming companies are over charging when most of that price tag is taxes.

Every company can't afford to have a manufacturing plant in certain countries to avoid ridiculous import taxes.
    Sorry but no, the VAT is at most 20%, either you dont know much about south american ecomonic situations or FTA's between the US and chile. Tributary laws 101, principle of no double taxation. There is no importing taxes atm between chile-USA. Current taxation is around a 19% on CIF which is essentially the local VAT pricing, i can deal with 20% more expensive hardware and software overall if it goes on taxes, but no 45~%
    Last edited by barackopala; 2017-03-23 at 08:14 PM.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when I wandered in to the local electronics section at Zellers in 1998 and wanted to buy SIN since the demo was awesome. 79.99 + tax. Crushed my god damn soul.

DLC and season passes are shit for entirely different reasons in most cases but some are nothing but cash grab filler for suckers.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-03-23 at 08:19 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.