Have you ever met people who still believed video games create school shooters?

Or are video games reaching mainstream acceptance?

Honestly, now that Jack Thompson is recognized by the state of Florida as a lunatic and completely disbarred, I've seen mainstream hate against video gaming die down massively, you still hear it here and there, but they're fringe cases

The worst you hear these days is the "It's a waste of time/making you lazy" hate from people against it, but these days people getting violent tend to be blamed on other reasons. And that's all that will be said of that train of commentary because this isn't GenOT

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never personally met anyone who holds such beliefs... But its pretty much a forgone conclusion that if and when there are shootings in the future, if the police go to the psycho's home and find violent video games, the argument will pop right back up.

I think the thompson "violent games somehow warp the thought process of children and drive them to murder" school of thought was replaced with the sarkeesian school of "videogames are grooming 'dangerous males' to be college rapers". Different schtik but still just a way for people with no real societal skills or merit to make a living fearmongering. Its just something a little different each decade.

I personally think that there's obviously a component of psychiatric illness in these things, video games ability to influence, trigger or motivate those impulses shouldn't be completely discounted and more sales companies should be more strict on the ESRB ratings.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    I knew this one girl that thought if you like violent games you must be a violent person.
    Lived with here for a whole year, it was very tiring.

My aunt thought the devil made video games. I asked her where he went to school for coding and how he does all that voice over work. I just picture lucifer, the Lord of darkness and evil bent over screaming PIKA PIKA! into a mic.
    She hated them until she saw me playing doom. "Wait you're...in hell... killing demons? That's fine... I guess. O0o0o0o watch out!" And then she'd watch me play for a while.

My father. It just needs to be mentioned in state TV and he will lap it up and sadly they did like 10 years ago and never bothered to correct that..

15+ Year Old Account
    There has been a "X activity clearly causes Y behavior" crowd for quite some time. Whether it was reading books, watching movies, watching tv, listening to music, or playing video games. There will likely always be people looking for something to blame for terrible behavior and to them its easier to just say X is responsible and not "this individual was clearly disturbed."

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I personally think that there's obviously a component of psychiatric illness in these things, video games ability to influence, trigger or motivate those impulses shouldn't be completely discounted and more sales companies should be more strict on the ESRB ratings.
    They are discounted because there is no proof video games cause violence. There is always a underlining mental issue that can be triggered by dam near anything.

How do u be more strict on ESRB ratings when its parents that normally but M rated games for there kids anyway. Many stores will not sell a minor (without a adult there) a M rated title due to the fear of the parent sueing there ass. Even Gamestop will card you if you buy a M rated title.

Hell mine cards me even tho they know I am well above the age of 18.

Ontopic: Nope and its something that has died down a lot as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    My aunt thought the devil made video games. I asked her where he went to school for coding and how he does all that voice over work. I just picture lucifer, the Lord of darkness and evil bent over screaming PIKA PIKA! into a mic.
    She hated them until she saw me playing doom. "Wait you're...in hell... killing demons? That's fine... I guess. O0o0o0o watch out!" And then she'd watch me play for a while.
    Neat......
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I was just throwing in a lazy pseudo solution. But to say that a mentally ill person doesn't have a trigger for acting on their impulses is just plain naive. And denying that video games can be one of many different triggers is as well. I understand the internet gamer brigade likes to play the victim card here and act like everyone's out to get their hobby but let's be real; violent video games like killing floor can be just as much a vent or avenue to let out frustrations as it can be a trigger just like any movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    They are discounted because there is no proof video games cause violence. There is always a underlining mental issue that can be triggered by dam near anything.

How do u be more strict on ESRB ratings when its parents that normally but M rated games for there kids anyway. Many stores will not sell a minor (without a adult there) a M rated title due to the fear of the parent sueing there ass. Even Gamestop will card you if you buy a M rated title.

Hell mine cards me even tho they know I am well above the age of 18.

Ontopic: Nope and its something that has died down a lot as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Neat......
    Oh hey the guy who spent like 6 months bashing the Switch then went and bought one thinks what I say is neat... neat.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's me. I think everything has a potential to make a person into anything, in case the person is some special brand of crazy. Someone might look at a chocolate pie, decide, "OMG, this civilization created this abomination?! Time to punish the bastards!", and boom-boom.

Can a video game make a healthy sane person into a school shooter though? Probably there is SOME possibility, again, nothing can't be ruled out with 100% certainty - but the risk is so tiny, one should be more wary of the possibility of sharks overrunning our governments and creating a world dominion, than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    Honestly, now that Jack Thompson is recognized by the state of Florida as a lunatic and completely disbarred, I've seen mainstream hate against video gaming die down massively, you still hear it here and there, but they're fringe cases

The worst you hear these days is the "It's a waste of time/making you lazy" hate from people against it, but these days people getting violent tend to be blamed on other reasons. And that's all that will be said of that train of commentary because this isn't GenOT
    Holy fuck that is a guy thats dissapeared from the news. I remember reading about his retarded fucking antics like 10 years ago and wondering how can people take his shit seriously.

Playing violent video games can definitely trigger violent behavior. Not gonna turn my back on reality just because i play video games...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Oh hey the guy who spent like 6 months bashing the Switch then went and bought one thinks what I say is neat... neat.
    Ummm didn't spend 6 months bashing The Switch. I provided criticism and always said I was going to get one....

But whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Playing violent video games can definitely trigger violent behavior. Not gonna turn my back on reality just because i play video games...
    Any studies to prove this because ALL Non-Bias studies have showed Video Games don't trigger violence and that its always a underline mental issue.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It's me. I think everything has a potential to make a person into anything, in case the person is some special brand of crazy. Someone might look at a chocolate pie, decide, "OMG, this civilization created this abomination?! Time to punish the bastards!", and boom-boom.

Can a video game make a healthy sane person into a school shooter though? Probably there is SOME possibility, again, nothing can't be ruled out with 100% certainty - but the risk is so tiny, one should be more wary of the possibility of sharks overrunning our governments and creating a world dominion, than this.
    I'm pretty sure that people who commit violent acts and say something like "I was inspired by GTA" or some crap like that, it's never the game that is the problem. That person would've found a different way to channel their rage, and/or different "reason" why they acted out.

That's why I always laugh when people say something like "if there was no religion, all those wars wouldn't happen". I say bs, people would find a different reason to use violence against another.

Deleted
    They will always be here. Even now there are people who think rock music is satanist and makes you wanna sacrifice virgins and shit. They will never leave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank god no, pretty much everyone in my family has some knowledge about videogames, even the most casual of knowledge is something
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35