upgrade or time for a new machine?

Hello,

Made this computer a few years ago and it runs like crap after moving to win10. Is it worth upgrading or just starting over due to how dated the parts are?

GeForce GTX 670
    i5-3570k
    8 GB ram
    ASRock z77 Extreme4

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Hello,

Made this computer a few years ago and it runs like crap after moving to win10. Is it worth upgrading or just starting over due to how dated the parts are?

GeForce GTX 670
    i5-3570k
    8 GB ram
    ASRock z77 Extreme4

Would not say those parts are dated, especially the CPU. CPU is fine. GOU could probably use an update, but I am confused by the move to W10 causing things to run like crap. Did you do an upgrade or a fresh install? I highly recommend a fresh install if you did not do one.

Hello,

GeForce GTX 670
    i5-3570k
    8 GB ram
    ASRock z77 Extreme4

Give it a bit, my pc ran weird for a few days after upgrading to 10. 10 is actually easier to run than 7 so its not a hardware related thing. You have a pretty dang fast PC still, really would depend on what games you play and if you are ok with playing at high instead of ultra if you need any new parts.

I also would recommend a clean install if it isnt too much hassle, but dont judge how you PC as it is running now.

I did not do a fresh install, been dreading it and putting it off, but its probably a huge part of the problem. I do need a SSD, so I guess there's a reason to fresh install. The most graphically intensive game I play is probably WOW, which ran great before I updated.

Thanks again for the help !

I did not do a fresh install, been dreading it and putting it off, but its probably a huge part of the problem. I do need a SSD, so I guess there's a reason to fresh install. The most graphically intensive game I play is probably WOW, which ran great before I updated.

Excellent idea, two birds with one stone. I will offer you one option over an SSD:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/n28H...ve-st1000dx002

I just built a PC a week ago, this thing is really impressing me. I have about 10 programs that load when windows starts, my PC is usable (to open chrome) instantly compared to the 30 seconds or longer that it took on my old PC with a regular hard drive.

But if you got the cash for an SSD, cant fault you on that either

The fresh install will likely solve your issues. Depending on how old your previous install was, and how many changes were made during it's life, sometimes, remnants of old rivers and stuff just get in the way and slow things down. No real easy way to get rid of it all except a fresh install. One of the main reasons a fresh install is always recommended when upgrading OS. If you get an SSD and do it all at the same time, even better. Don't forget that once you do install W10 on to the SSD, you can plug your old HDD in and just copy/paste your WoW Install to the SSD and run it right from there. No need to re-install it or set-up all your add-ons and everything again. Just copy it over and you are off and running. Also, a fresh install, especially on an SSD, does not take very long at all.

Can only concur, that should run Win10 just fine. I ran with a 2500k and 660Ti/12g Ram until I fairly recently upgraded most of my hardware and that ran Win10 without a hitch, even when run as an upgrade (and not a fresh install).

Also as you already indicated, a SSD will improve performance further.

Deleted
    Funny enough I built that same set up like 5 years ago. I'm starting to have some issues especially on the new early access games that I have been playing, but WoW runs fine like you said yourself. Of everything the only thing that seems to be making issues for me it's the GPU and my 8G ram.

So the thing is... if you just keep playing WoW and nothing more, I would just save money and in a year or two build a full new set up. If you intend to play more recent games I would buy a new GPU, add 8G more ram (this probably only applies if you like to play early access games with poor optimization while having a lot of stuff open in the back) and adding that SSD you talked about, since the rest of the set up is solid.
    Last edited by mmocad89a0a4d0; 2017-03-23 at 11:51 AM.