Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Did anyone actually buy The Last Guardian?

So i got around to replaying Ico for the first time since the PS2 days after dusting off my PS3 and finding i got a bunch of digital games in sales i never touched. I had fun and it reminded me of Nier in a way with its "far future but clearly signs of indsutry and advanced metal machining that suggests some decline back to a medieval state" kind of story i love. Not quite post-post apocalypse but a melancholy decline where the fantasy is really the future just like Etrian Oddessy.
    But as i moved onto Shadow of the Colossus again i went "oh yeah, i guess after two console gens 'Trico' finally came out" and i realised i don't know a single person who actually played it.

even on release it was on the PS4's PSN for £24.99 far below the retail price for a new game and still nobody i know bought it and i heard nothing about anyone playing it online even. obviously some folks must have but as the sequel to Shadow you would expect some buzz right?

So did anyone buy team Icos latest game? Why do you think its been so quickly forgotten compared to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus?
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2017-03-21 at 01:12 PM.

Deleted
    The answer to your questions is yes.

People bought, not that many, but they bought it. I played it at a friends is a good game, but after how long it took to release and inevitably comparing it to soth, and ico it just wasn't as outstanding.

Honestly, because it was more focused on "story elements" rather than gameplay, i just watched it on one of those "Let's play..." youtube films, and that was enough for me. Felt no need to buy and play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I decided it was too short (from the numbers on howlongtobeat) and I did not buy it.

Deleted
    Nice game. Its only problem is that the puzzles are fairly easy, but everything else is well done.

Oh and yes, i bought it. How should i know if not..

Nope. PS4 exclusive and the game didn't appeal to me back in the mid 2ks when they first announced it, mostly because I also utterly despise playing as kid characters and have no desire to collect pets as stand-in children .

10+ Year Old Account
    According to some renowned reviewers (that ran video game magazines before internet thus that have extended knowledge on the subject and matters of comparisons), the game is a masterpiece, in a result it will not really be "forgotten", it's apparently an historical game, and if so it's our job to save those kinds games in the memory of future generations

I've yet to play it

Deleted
    nope. I don't buy games on release anymore. They are 80% off like 6 months later.

I have seen Uncharted 4 for 5€. Insanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will if I ever buy a PS4, and I'm 99.999% sure the ending is obvious.

Read below at your own risk

Bird thing dies
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Fibby76 View Post
    Honestly, because it was more focused on "story elements" rather than gameplay, i just watched it on one of those "Let's play..." youtube films, and that was enough for me. Felt no need to buy and play it.
    Your story seems abit ridiculous. How did you know it was heavy on story elements without playing and just going ahead and watching someone else play? It's like I hate "Mounds" So, I hang around the corner store until someone buys it, then I politely ask them, or quietly watch them eat it in front of me.

"Is it better than an Almond Joy?"
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    nope. I don't buy games on release anymore. They are 80% off like 6 months later.

I have seen Uncharted 4 for 5€. Insanity.
    wise way of doing

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought it. Played it for a few days and then lost interest. Beautiful environments and Trico is absolutely adorable, but the actual gameplay was mostly just frustrating. I would like to pick it up again and try to finish the story someday, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post

I'm 99.999% sure the ending is obvious.

Bird thing dies
    you couldn't be more wrong if you tried

But then i bought it and played it and know the story. For me it's not an instant classic, like Ico or SotC, and technically not that good apart from Trico's Ai but it has a charm all of it's own and I don't begrudge paying for it.

No but I will at some point.

I got so many games to play now, I'm trying to avoid buying anymore.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    All I know is that the dog is a real piece of shit.
    Lol. That gave me quite a few laughs .

So of course the day after making this Sony puts it at £15 on the PSN. So good timing for me to buy it as i finish SotC again

Deleted
    Nope. Looked gay as fuck. A little kid and a giant hyena bird. Wow, my dreams come true.

Yeah, had it pre-ordered well before release. Thought it was a good game, but didn't have the shine of Ico or Shadow.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.