Poll: Should the "mentally ill" be able to purchase firearms?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Guns For The Mentally Ill?

Washington (CNN)The Republican-led House voted Thursday to repeal an Obama-era Social Security Administration regulation to keep people with severe mental illnesses from buying guns.
    The vote was 235-180.
    "The Social Security Administration not only overstepped its mission with this regulation, it discriminated against certain Americans with disabilities who receive Social Security benefits. The agency should be focused on serving all of its beneficiaries, not picking and choosing whose Second Amendment rights to deny," said Rep. Kevin Brady, R-Texas, who chairs the Ways and Means Committee.

Democrats complained that repealing the rule, which was adopted in the waning days of the Obama administration, would lead to more gun violence.
    "The American people and the families that are being hurt day after day by gun violence -- they deserve some due process too," said Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Texas.
    Republicans are using the Congressional Review Act to roll back all manner of regulations put in place by Obama before he left office.
    The Senate is expected to pass the National Rifle Association-backed measure soon and President Donald Trump is expected to sign it.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/02/politi...ses/index.html

Should the "mentally ill" be allowed to buy guns?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes

So more people can be awarded with Darwin awards.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean, if we're cool with terrorists, murderers, and kids having guns - I don't see how we can deny them to the mentally ill :P

Next question: Can dogs & cats own guns?

Ooh another: Do bears have the right to bear arms?!
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does it really matter? The Mentally Ill in Berkeley last night showed they didn't need Guns to hurt People or destroy things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Does it really matter? The Mentally Ill in Berkeley last night showed they didn't need Guns to hurt People or destroy things.
    Yes it does because what you are describing is completely different.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

If you're really paranoid there's nothing more comforting than a .44 magnum.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I'm all for this, I love the idea. Maybe when the mentally ill start shooting more people, then people will understand that we have a mental health problem in this country. Of course, knowing the people here, they will probably just try to ban more refugees to make us safer.

7+ Year Old Account
    As someone who worked in a gun store, no. But, a surprisingly large amount of people who shouldn't be trusted to drive a car let alone operate a firearm can purchase them legally. Thankfully, everything we sold was out of the price range of 90% of casual shooters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus can you people make one single rational argument regarding a serious topic with real ramifications without jumping on your anti-liberal whataboutism band-wagon?
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydsmith View Post
    You mean like the innocent civilians in the Aurora movie theater?
    because making it hard for law abiding citizens to get guns has worked so well for Chiraq? it's easier to buy a gun off the street when compared to buying one legally from a store here in Ma. and many other states too.

How progressive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's be fair. Even the mentally ill sometimes have Grizzly bears in their schools.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewragg View Post
    because making it hard for law abiding citizens to get guns has worked so well for Chiraq? it's easier to buy a gun off the street when compared to buying one legally from a store here in Ma. and many other states too.
    I'm sorry would you please clarify?

Are you actually advocating for a patient suffering from a major depressive disorder with psychotic ideation be able to buy a gun based solely on the fact that they are currently law-abiding?
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Assbandit View Post
    Jesus can you people make one single rational argument regarding a serious topic with real ramifications without jumping on your anti-liberal whataboutism band-wagon?
    Nah, I'm just using the same tactics as the Liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Yes it does because what you are describing is completely different.
    Shhh - False equivalency is so cool now. I mean, those rioters - they killed a huge number of people, the most people ever - must be at least 1.5 million.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, I'm just using the same tactics as the Liberals.
    Fun fact - extreme liberals, like extreme right wingers are both concentrated nutcases.

Be Rational. Well - except on guns, guns for everyone ... that's important because the constitution can't handle amendments.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    I don't think mentally health people should have a gun - nobody should but police and military. But I also am pro social justice (Schulz for Kanzler @ 2017 in Germany!) so none of these will make any sense to the raw Americans or those who want to be raw Americans :P

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydsmith View Post
    This law didn't make it ANY harder for a legal citizen of sound mind to buy an item with only one purpose, to kill something.
    I love how you reserved the " only one purpose, to kill something " part in your statement. nice strawman

In a country where a severely mentally ill person has been given the nuclear codes, I think the realistic answer to the OP's question should be yes.

After all - can't have one rule for the elite, and another for the rest.

Oh wait.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Assbandit View Post
    I'm sorry would you please clarify?

Are you actually advocating for a patient suffering from a major depressive disorder with psychotic ideation be able to buy a gun based solely on the fact that they are currently law-abiding?
    hmm interesting concept. None the less to clarify my meaning to my post, I'm simply stating facts related to gun control laws and gun violence not working as represented.

It's not a black and white issue. Not all people who have mental illness is/will be violent. It should be handled on a case by case basis.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano