Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    To their credit, at least they're not splitting the SD/HD communities for Starcraft by letting them play together, and if memory serves, didn't they recently do some work updating Diablo II and WC3 letting the SD versions run on modern machines?
    Yup, they did. I forgot about DII in my prior post.

Depending on how well SCRemaster does, I'd put money on a WC3/TFT and Diablo II/LoD remaster and the original versions being made free, like with Starcraft and Starcraft: Brood War (which would also be an excellent means of word-of-mouth/freesharing marketing by fans to bring in new blood. "Hey, check this out, it's a full-size AAA game from the 90s/00s that got an HD remake recently; if you dig it we can buy the remaster and play that together").

And even though @otaXephon was joking, if these remasters sell well they might look at giving legacy realms a remaster treatment, but that's a longer shot, and not one I'm as eager for as the idea of a Diablo II remaster and a WC3 remaster. WC3 remaster shouldn't be too hard to do, technically speaking, since Blizz put the WC3 units in Starcraft II and map assets can be remade (indeed, a modder has been doing such a good job at it they may as well bring them onboard and build off what's done with Armies of Azeroth).

- - - Updated - - -

To their credit, at least they're not splitting the SD/HD communities for Starcraft by letting them play together, and if memory serves, didn't they recently do some work updating Diablo II and WC3 letting the SD versions run on modern machines?
    I have no idea about other games, but is is specifically stated they are improving the compatibility of the original Starcraft for modern OS's, in addition to releasing it for free.
    Really you are paying for better graphics, getting 90% of the game for free.
    I would say thats a damn good deal, better than many "free to play" models which aren't even close to what that term actually means.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    I have no idea about other games, but is is specifically stated they are improving the compatibility of the original Starcraft for modern OS's, in addition to releasing it for free.
    Really you are paying for better graphics, getting 90% of the game for free.
    I would say thats a damn good deal, better than many "free to play" models which aren't even close to what that term actually means.
    Like I said, it'll end up a really good way to market the remaster. Give players the SD game, let them show it to their friends, and if their friends say something like "It's really cool, but it just looks so old," that's when Blizz steps out of the alley and opens their coat, showing the HD Remaster strapped to the inside.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    With the announcement of the StarCraft remake, I think it's safe to assume they will do others. Blizzard loves to repackage old content and sell it back to its customers. They've been doing it in Wow for years.
    They've been advertising for jobs to remake Starcraft, D2, and W3 for quite a while now, there's still one up now, for building tools, in engineering, look for "Classic Games". They've changed the ad, it used to reference those three specifically. They just haven't done a big announcement about it, until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    They've been advertising for jobs to remake Starcraft, D2, and W3 for quite a while now, there's still one up now, for building tools, in engineering, look for "Classic Games". They've changed the ad, it used to reference those three specifically. They just haven't done a big announcement about it, until now.
    Interesting. Makes me wonder where the SCII team is up to now with the Nova DLC supposedly being the last. I would of expected some talent being held to help with the classic remakes while the rest are sent to another project.

Like I said, it'll end up a really good way to market the remaster. Give players the SD game, let them show it to their friends, and if their friends say something like "It's really cool, but it just looks so old," that's when Blizz steps out of the alley and opens their coat, showing the HD Remaster strapped to the inside.
    True there could be a marketing reason, but its a hell of a generous way to go about it.
    No crippled version, not outright inferior or isolated.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    True there could be a marketing reason, but its a hell of a generous way to go about it.
    No crippled version, not outright inferior or isolated.
    Catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I think Blizz took a look at supposed free-play marketing schemes like TOR's, where basic UI functions like hiding helms were put behind a paywall, and decided to make them look bad.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I think Blizz took a look at supposed free-play marketing schemes like TOR's, where basic UI functions like hiding helms were put behind a paywall, and decided to make them look bad.
    Because those are not Free to Play.
    They are a demo, or that is what we used to call them.
    And I still do.

If access to gameplay requires payment it isn't free to play.
    Though I think the example blizzard are using with the tokens requires a new definition, a new term.
    Because someone is paying for everyone that isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post
    SC still works even on Windows10.
    Except it needs a Registry setting to be able to use the palette properly and it doesn't support widescreen or HiDPI (hint: many widescreen monitors cannot emulate 4:3 aspect).

I just installed and ran SC Anthology from the battle.net download with Windows 10 with no tweaks needed. Colors and sounds worked correctly for me. Not saying there are no issues. A free patch has been announced to address other compatibility issues along with other improvements.

For those that do not know these games are available with a battle.net account and did work for me in Windows 10.

Blackthorne® English (US) Windows, Mac
    The Lost Vikings® English (US) Windows
    Rock N' Roll Racing® English (US) Windows
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2017-03-27 at 01:56 AM.

A remake Diablo might be exciting to pick up... unless it's identical. I mean, there's gotta be some pleasurable novelties.

A remake WoW... I thought I'd be ecstatic, but then I remember how fucking long ago that timeline is, and all the heroes who've died in that game would be standing in front of us at level 60, it would just be silly after a while. Like, we already know what's coming next, to the T, not exciting.

They'd all have to be Reboots with a theme, like the Star Trek franchise is trying. Woah totally unexpected events that permanently change the setting, but with familiar characters.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    I'd pay greatly for a similar D2 remake. 0 gameplay changes, just improved graphics\textures\models\ui
    Except for clicking to pick up gold. That was annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    You also got to remember there are now people who are getting into Blizzard games that have never played the classics and never grew up with them. Some people also can't stand older graphics so these remasters are just what are needed to get them into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutarch78 View Post
    Except for clicking to pick up gold. That was annoying.
    hehe, can't argue with that

To be fair, it's safe to assume they'll do similar treatment to wc3: There is already information that they are doing massive work on the game's infrastructure with the goal of updating it more easily and more often. The maintenances on classic bnet have been aimed at improving the hardware and improving bnet features.

D2 also got some bugfix patches but little else, probably not their current focus? Wouldn't surprise me as D2 doesn't need as big changes as SC/Wc3, widescreen being possible with external programs and confirmed ok by Blizzard themselves. I know wc3's fanbase still want some balance changes, map pool rotation, fixes to the matchmaker, removal of artificial delay and HD resolution, with some of these already confirmed as getting fixed by Blizzard on their classic games forum (All of them except HD resolution actually..) The wc3 communtiy is very alive still and any changes are welcome.

As far as the viability of all of this, the classic games team is probably very small and it's going to have a lot of people buy the games for nostalgia factor / bring new people who never gave the games a chance. It's most likely going to be profitable for them, on top of reviving their old classics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    remaking the older games would be a lot more work, not only are the graphics and UI so very basic (Warcraft 1 only allowed control of about 6 units at once if I remember correctly)... personally I doubt they'll bother, though I wish they would
    4 units. And have to Key - Move / attack everthing.

Also if SC cant be run on W10 or with lot of settings. Its quite logical they do that because there are still tournaments to this day.

Deleted
    "They have been doing it"

Repacking and reselling old stuff has been happening for decades, before video games even existed. How many compilations of Beatles albums are there? 50 minimum at this point.

This hobby fucking deserves its classics be maintained. Not just for nostalgia trips, but also for new generations

10+ Year Old Account
    I want Warcraft and Warcraft 2.