Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Im calling bullshit on that. Grocery stores routinely have frozen steamer bags of vegetables priced at 10 for $10

look at the meat bundle. $60 for 25 pounds of meat. Dont tell me its not affordable. Additionally poor people get foodstamps they can use to buy it
    $60 would be well out of my price range. So that's not affordable to me.

Also, what the hell is a karns?
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

ITT a bunch of people making excuses for their lack of self control and fatism.

Pro-tip: You can still eat crap food on some quantities as long as you place exercise as priority one.

Calories in, calories out.

Instead of binging on 3 hours of video games go walk 4 miles in an hour and play 2 hours of video games.

The fatter you are the easier it is to lose weight.

If you want to go into super weight loss mode then try Keto. You can eat all the bacon you want.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-03-31 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post

That's 60$ for TWENTY FIVE POUNDS of meat. That's not 60$ a week, that's 60$ a MONTH, at the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noogai131 View Post
    That's 60$ for TWENTY FIVE POUNDS of meat. That's not 60$ a week, that's 60$ a MONTH, at the least.
    Sure. But that requires that you sacrifice something else in order to do the initial purchase. That's why "buying in bulk" is problematic for poor people.

It's also problematic because it assumes that someone who is already struggling financially has the means to store the meat effectively. I know that I wouldn't have room in my freezer for that much meat.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    That's the the thing though. Healthy food has no equivalent really in the junk food arena.

There are dozens of healthy foods for cheap cheap.
    Eggs
    Frozen Veggies
    Frozen Fruit

Tuna
    Tilapia (really cheap for the quantity you get. Less than a buck a piece.)
    Brown Rice
    Sweet Potatoes
    Whole grain or multigrain pasta and sauce
    Oats
    Spinach
    Non fat refried beans
    any type of bean

The list goes on and on.
    frozen vegetables and fruit loose most of their vitamins and microelements , tuna cheap ? you mean the industrial breeded tuna that has nothign to do with quality tuna :/ tilapia - f... tilapia ? those are fishes which are literaly feeded garbage mixed with antibiotics - its probably the worst quality fish aviable on market atm -_-

and beans ? yes ofc but it has to be non processed beans not the processed canned shit that most people buy because its easier .
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2017-03-31 at 01:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try this experiment. If you drink teas/coffee with sugar, force yourself to not add any sugar to them for a couple of weeks. Initially you will feel that the new taste is very bland, but in a few days you will grow to appreciate the natural taste with the nuances you never noticed before, because the sugar taste overlapped with them.

Then, add sugar to your drink again. You will be surprised by how disgusting it tastes, compared to what you grew used to. But force yourself, again, to drink teas and coffees with sugar for a few days, and you won't want to go back.

The lesson here is: it is a matter of habits. It is hard to change your habits, but once you've changed them, it is hard to go back. Just force yourself to buy healthy food only for a few weeks, and then you will be surprised by how easy it is to keep going, when it becomes your everyday routine.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Try this experiment. If you drink teas/coffee with sugar, force yourself to not add any sugar to them for a couple of weeks. Initially you will feel that the new taste is very bland, but in a few days you will grow to appreciate the natural taste with the nuances you never noticed before, because the sugar taste overlapped with them.

Then, add sugar to your drink again. You will be surprised by how disgusting it tastes, compared to what you grew used to. But force yourself, again, to drink teas and coffees with sugar for a few days, and you won't want to go back.

The lesson here is: it is a matter of habits. It is hard to change your habits, but once you've changed them, it is hard to go back. Just force yourself to buy healthy food only for a few weeks, and then you will be surprised by how easy it is to keep going, when it becomes your everyday routine.
    I actually can't drink sweet tea made with actual sugar. It makes me sick.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually can't drink sweet tea made with actual sugar. It makes me sick.
    I usually don't like teas with generic taste, but teas with carbonated sugar are even worse. I tend to buy unusual herbal teas and, if the taste isn't very special, I make a stronger tea, or add stronger ingredients to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Im calling bullshit on that. Grocery stores routinely have frozen steamer bags of vegetables priced at 10 for $10

https://www.karnsfoods.com/monthly-ad-shop.php

See for yourself under the monthly sale tab.

Also Chicken drumsticks are 59 cents per pound. Eat a pound of baked chicken drumsticks and a bag of vegetables. Thats $1.59 for a dinner, and 2 dinners for the price of a low quality cheap frozen pizza, and very healthy as well

look at the meat bundle. $60 for 25 pounds of meat. Dont tell me its not affordable. Additionally poor people get foodstamps they can use to buy it
    I must be idiot (blame it on just waking up) but how do you read those prices? 2/$5= Does it mean you get 2 for 5 dollars or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Merenhuiske View Post
    I must be idiot (blame it on just waking up) but how do you read those prices? 2/$5= Does it mean you get 2 for 5 dollars or something else?
    No, that's how it works. 10/$10 would mean you get 10 for 10 dollars, or 2/$5 would be 2 for 5 dollars.

Those all sounds like stupid good bargains there, but alas it's in USD and not here in Australia, so i'll have to make do with higher prices on consumer goods.

Well back in the 1970s (if you look at photos), most people where Thin and not too Fat.

There was a TV cooking show, where people eat the same foods that would have been eaten in the 1970s.
    Most of these foods contained high amounts of Fat.

I think in present day, there are too many sugars in food . Also to much sodium.

Also people in the 1970s where less sedentary and went outside a lot.

Now days, people sit down to much, especially around computers like I am doing at the moment.

What Foods where popular in the 1970s

http://www.thekitchn.com/10-recipes-...e-1970s-200585

Pineapple Chicken. Pineapple and Chicken. ...
    Quiche.
    Cheese Balls/Logs. Date, Walnut, and Blue Cheese Log. ...
    Carrot Cake. ...
    Pasta Primavera. ...
    Stuffed Vegetables and Meat. ...
    Salad Bars with Ranch and Green Goddess Dressing. ...
    Crêpes.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to lose weight and eating unhealthy and cannot understand why, then you need to educate.

If you complain about being fat and don't put any effort in to try and lose weight. Then you are lazy.

If you are large and proud, more power to ya, you keep being you. Got my respect. I got a large friend who is contempt with being who he is and thats cool

Now if you are me, 10 years ago I struggled to lose weight because of my dumb ass metabolism, I eventually lost it, but I lost it a lot slower than others. I got this other friend who is skinny as all hell but he eats so much crap, and I hate him cos of it. Altohugh he hates it too because he said he wanted to gain weight so he can get a bit of muscle lol.

Bottom line, there are many reasons why people struggle to lose weight,
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account

$60 is out of your price range for 25 pounds of meat that could feed you for a month???

And Karns is a local grocery store near me. They have 3 locations. Giant, and Weis are the 2 large chain markets

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    It's impossible to eat the wrong stuff in quantities that screw with your hormone levels while you're still within your caloric requirements. Sure if you're an idiot and ONLY eat white sugar, (or the stupid kind of vegan), you'll get fucked up plenty..
    bullshit, stop spreading lies, this is how people stay fat.

Out of lazyness

...that requires that you sacrifice something else in order to do the initial purchase.
    Hey, I am sensitive to whatever it is you are going through. I'm not going to pretend I understand everything about your situation. I certainly wish you the best.

But let's talk about those prices just for a moment.

Earlier in this thread I am pretty sure I mentioned getting some delicious thick cut boneless pork loin chops for about $2 a pound. The pork has no limitations except maybe that you buy at least one steak. I know that one can readily purchase chicken breasts, fresh or frozen, for about the same price - usually starting at around 5 pounds in a package. Strangely, chicken tenderloins - the "chicken fingers" cut, is now probably the most expensive thing on a chicken and ranges to about $3 a pound. Ground beef can often be obtained for $2-3 a pound, sizes start even by the pound. Personally, I adore internal organs like sweetbreads. If you are near where beef is ranched or slaughtered, sweetbreads can be had for around $2 pound and is seriously good nutrition. Most of these items can be purchased in small enough quantities that I feel sure it can be done by almost anyone under any circumstances.

Eggs is another thing that's a powerhouse of excellent nutrition. Spinach also - frozen is hella cheap, and many vegetables are actually very good nutritionally from a flash frozen state.

The only way I can think that this might not be possible is if you are in a low population rural area without store competition. Then you might be stuck with whatever you can find. Best advice: get the hell out of there. Nothing is going to get better there, the jobs aren't coming back.

I'm not judging you. I'm not telling you what to do. I am trying to encourage you. I am trying to help you out.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Merenhuiske View Post
    It means they are 2.50 each, but they say 2/5 to entice you to buy 5. Same with the 10/10, they are a dollar a piece. Some bargins will require you to buy 10 to get them at a dollar each but those it will let you know. For instance where I shop it tends to say something like, "1.29 each or 10/10".

When I worked in a Grocery store we use to have buy one get one free, but they where actually just half price. Now with smarter computer registers stuff today really is buy one get one free, usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Quiche.
    Cheese Balls/Logs.
    Stuffed Vegetables and Meat. ...
    Salad Bars with Ranch and Green Goddess Dressing. ...
    Crêpes.
    Quiche, food of the gods. Eggs, bacon, spinach, cheese. Pretty sure real men eat it unless they are stupid.
    Cheese balls. Cheese and nuts, yes please.
    Stuffed vegetables and meat. Cabbage rolls and stuffed red bell peppers are fantastic.
    Salad is every day, make my own real dressings. 7-10 cups/ounces of vegetables every day minimum. Vitamins, minerals, fiber.
    Crepes. Try egg and cream cheese style. Amazing, but not for every day or even every week.

Never be hungry. Want of nothing. Always something good to be had.

Household rule over here is people eat at the table. Not at the computer, not watching TV. We play a little music, eat at a properly set table with placemats, napkins, and flatware. We talk. I stare at my beautiful partner a lot.

Dinner and bedtime are the best parts of the day because I get to commune with the one being I prize most in the whole of my life. Gorgeous, intelligent, great company, best fuck ever. 10 years and counting...

Everyone's chemistry/metabolism is different. I myself, in my youth, was very over-weight and I had to make some life style changes for me to lose and keep off the weight. It is a constant struggle for me and I need to watch every day what I eat (i.e. no fast food, no soda, no junk food, ect...) to maintain my current weight; while others I know can eat whatever they want to and never gain any weight.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    bullshit, stop spreading lies, this is how people stay fat.
    I promise you, I'm more lean than you and people in my social circle are more lean than anyone in your social circle.