Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Elon Musk launches Neuralink, a venture to merge the human brain with AI

SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk is backing a brain-computer interface venture called Neuralink, according to The Wall Street Journal. The company, which is still in the earliest stages of existence and has no public presence whatsoever, is centered on creating devices that can be implanted in the human brain, with the eventual purpose of helping human beings merge with software and keep pace with advancements in artificial intelligence. These enhancements could improve memory or allow for more direct interfacing with computing devices.

Musk has hinted at the existence of Neuralink a few times over the last six months or so. More recently, Musk told a crowd in Dubai, “Over time I think we will probably see a closer merger of biological intelligence and digital intelligence.” He added that “it's mostly about the bandwidth, the speed of the connection between your brain and the digital version of yourself, particularly output." On Twitter, Musk has responded to inquiring fans about his progress on a so-called “neural lace,” which is sci-fi shorthand for a brain-computer interface humans could use to improve themselves.

These types of brain-computer interfaces exist today only in science fiction. In the medical realm, electrode arrays and other implants have been used to help ameliorate the effects of Parkinson’s, epilepsy, and other neurodegenerative diseases. However, very few people on the planet have complex implants placed inside their skulls, while the number of patients with very basic stimulating devices number only in the tens of thousands. This is partly because it is incredibly dangerous and invasive to operate on the human brain, and only those who have exhausted every other medical option choose to undergo such surgery as a last resort.

This has not stopped a surge in Silicon Valley interest from tech industry futurists who are interested in accelerating the advancement of these types of far-off ideas. Kernel, a startup created by Braintree co-founder Bryan Johnson, is funding medical research out of the University of Southern California to try and enhance human cognition. With more than $100 million of Johnson’s own money — the entrepreneur sold Braintree to PayPal for around $800 million in 2013 — Kernel and its growing team of neuroscientists and software engineers are working toward reversing the effects of neurodegenerative diseases and, eventually, making our brains faster and smarter and more wired.
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/15...ace-ai-cyborgs

I'll believe it when I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Me thinks they played a little too much mass effect andromeda.

Bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Me thinks they played a little too much mass effect andromeda.
    There was sci-fi before ass defect.

Yeah, I'm not the only one that heard in my head Cruel Angel Thesis when hearing about Ellen Ryder.

Aside of a joke about Skynet, why not ? It's fundamental ressearch with private funds, it's fantastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool in theory but I can only imagine how difficult this will be to not only figure out but also to implement in enough people to be profitable.

Say what you will about Musk but he will, without a doubt, go down as an incredible innovator who pushed science on multiple fronts. We definitely need more people like him.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    5 seconds later: "We are Cochise".

Really not into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post

Bad idea.
    Reported for spoilers!

How old is ME:2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Deleted
    Then you get hacked and 4chan make you sing 'never going to give you up' on loop.

15+ Year Old Account
    How about start with linking brains with a computer before even mentioning the word AI. AI doesn't exist and we don't know whether it ever will. If it will, we don't know what it's like.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    How about start with linking brains with a computer before even mentioning the word AI. AI doesn't exist and we don't know whether it ever will. If it will, we don't know what it's like.
    The amount of things we as civilians know of technology wise right now is very small. The standard rule is that black ops and darpa type technology is always 20 years ahead of what we know of in every day use. Chances are much of what is talked about as theoretical already exists in some form.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    The amount of things we as civilians know of technology wise right now is very small. The standard rule is that black ops and darpa type technology is always 20 years ahead of what we know of in every day use. Chances are much of what is talked about as theoretical already exists in some form.
    It's always great to meet a fellow coast to coast insider.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

It's always great to meet a fellow coast to coast insider.
    I used to listen to that show a long time ago. Back when Art Bell still hosted it. The internet made it much easier to get certain types of info which is prob why its controlled so closely.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    I used to listen to that show a long time ago. Back when Art Bell still hosted it. The internet made it much easier to get certain types of info which is prob why its controlled so closely.
    I love the show with all its' craziness! It's been a while since I listened to it last time, but at some point I'm going to binge listen to all the best new shows I have missed.

Deus Ex becomes reality.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

I love the show with all its' craziness! It's been a while since I listened to it last time, but at some point I'm going to binge listen to all the best new shows I have missed.
    Things used to get pretty crazy back when Art hosted. I think he had to step down due to threats made on his life.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's great that Musk is investing in it.

Unfortunately there is no reason to think that anyone is currently close to general AI or understanding how knowledge is represented in the brain. The analogy to other forms of brain implants is tenuous. The implants in current people exists because of clinical knowledge, as opposed to a theory of intelligence, knowledge, and how to interface with it in the brain.

Personally I wish Musk was a bit more like Paul Allen in terms of neuroscience, but moonshot ventures are still interesting.
    Last edited by PC2; 2017-03-28 at 01:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So long as they don't open up my skin, I'm all for it.

Imagine the internet privacy concerns when your brain gets connected to the internet.