Air conditioners.

Hello OT,

Looking ahead to summer, with our 90 degree days in Portland...I have a two-bedroom apartment and I bought this air conditioner back in 2014. I'm debating getting a portable a/c unit, which is between $350-550, or simply buying a second a/c unit like the one I have for $155. Not sure how long the air conditioner I have currently will last.

How long have window air conditioners lasted, in your experience, and are there any massive advantages to getting a portable a/c unit besides the fact that you can port it around?

Also will take any recommendations for units.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Hello OT,

Looking ahead to summer, with our 90 degree days in Portland...I have a two-bedroom apartment and I bought this air conditioner back in 2014. I'm debating getting a portable a/c unit, which is between $350-550, or simply buying a second a/c unit like the one I have for $155. Not sure how long the air conditioner I have currently will last.

How long have window air conditioners lasted, in your experience, and are there any massive advantages to getting a portable a/c unit besides the fact that you can port it around?

You still have to vent the portable outside so... wait I know what you need, give me a sec to find the link.

Bah, never mind, it's not available yet. http://www.noriahome.com/a-revolution-in-home-comfort

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    window shakers are fine. You really need to keep up on cleaning the filter. Keep that filter clean, you are golden.

I do this for a living.

10+ Year Old Account
    just get the second one

Like say said, keep them clean and you're good.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hello OT,

I've never had any luck with portable AC's. They never seem to really cool it off. Seems like a glorified humidifier to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I've never had any luck with portable AC's. They never seem to really cool it off. Seems like a glorified humidifier to me.
    de-humidifiers are pretty awesome too. don't disregard them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    window shakers are fine. You really need to keep up on cleaning the filter. Keep that filter clean, you are golden.

I do this for a living.
    Okay, thanks. I had one other unit when I lived in Chicago, but it broke within a year...I think something happened to the coolant. This one seems to be doing fine for now, just wasn't sure how long they lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You still have to vent the portable outside so... wait I know what you need, give me a sec to find the link.

Bah, never mind, it's not available yet. http://www.noriahome.com/a-revolution-in-home-comfort
    That's a nice looking AC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    just get the second one

Like say said, keep them clean and you're good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Thanks guys. Damn that's disappointing about portable AC's, but then again not buying one saves me $350-550.

Hello OT,

geeze 155 for a 5000 btu.
    you can get them for 95 bucks
    craigslist for 50 bucks. i've had a lot of luck off craigslist

must be off season pricing

http://www.lg.com/us/air-conditioner...ir-conditioner

http://www.lg.com/us/window-air-conditioners

might have to wait till season to get around 80-100 units

i have a 15k portable, and it sucks ass compared to even a 8k wall unit

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys. Damn that's disappointing about portable AC's, but then again not buying one saves me $350-550.

I don't know about your local prices, but I bought a small window ac for about $100-150. Does 10x the work a portable ac would.