Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    He literally said that m.2 is the protocol and that there are SATA m.2 drives which is impossible. Font try to read between lines when there is nothing to read there.
    I never even said the word protocol, so not sure what you are on about. I did slightly misspeak and incorrectly used form factor. However, M.2 SATA drives do infact exist as well as M.2 NVMe drives. When most people say M.2 then mean an M.2 NVMe drive, and many seem to think, as you do, that those are the only M.2 drives that exist. You are wrong. M.2 is the form factor, SATA or NVMe are the interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I never even said the word protocol, so not sure what you are on about. I did slightly misspeak and incorrectly used form factor. However, M.2 SATA drives do infact exist as well as M.2 NVMe drives. When most people say M.2 then mean an M.2 NVMe drive, and many seem to think, as you do, that those are the only M.2 drives that exist. You are wrong. M.2 is the form factor, SATA or NVMe are the interface.
    Go ahead and show me one of those "M.2 SATA" drives.

15+ Year Old Account
    He literally said that m.2 is the protocol and that there are SATA m.2 drives which is impossible. Font try to read between lines when there is nothing to read there.

Also, ahci isn't a bus interface.
    Actually .. again you're missing the context of his text since the discussion was about the 960 EVO which is an NVMe based SSD.
    The point of discussion is thus an NVMe based storage device, also I've just told you that technically whilst NVMe is considered a bus interface it's actually PCIe but called NVMe for reasons explained prior.
    You're actually stating the exact same thing I have but wrongly worded as you're again missing the context, followed with the line below stating AHCI not being a bus interface which is EXACTLY as I've said above and in the quote you made of my statement.

Also whilst he technically stated a "SATA form factor" M.2 drive, which is indeed incorrect, it is also correct in the context he stated it in.
    He was referring to M.2 SATA SSDs, which do exist and are SATA drives not being emulated or using the PCIe lanes meant for NVMe.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820156153

Is an example of such items.. so I'm unsure of whether or not you're trying to make fun of his exact wording or truly believe that M.2 SATA SSDs do not exist?
    Bus interfaces: IDE, Serial Ata (SATA), U.2, M.2

They are (heavily simplified and technically not 100% correct) the connector used to connect the devices.
    There's far more too it than that but I'll leave it there since in general terms it is indeed just a connector where for those knowledgeable in it there's for more to it than that like pre-specified devices and sizes.

Logical device Interfaces: Ahci, NVMe

They are the transfer protocol (again, heavily simplified and not the correct term) which tells you how they transfer data.
    Same thing as above

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to add a historical explanation video that talks about how we got to m.2 SATA and m.2 NVMe drives.

He then goes into the motherboard's BIOS around 8 minutes in and shows you where the m.2 slot shows the choice between SATA mode and PCI-E mode.

Would you like to apologize for attacking Lathais, now? And delete that stupid signature?
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2017-03-31 at 03:17 AM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

It all really depends on what you do with it. For normal usage, I really doubt you'll see a benefit from a 960 nvme VS a sata drive. In my case, as seen from the image, I can mostly saturate it due to the type of software I'm working on. To prove the point, I'm using a 840 EVO 1TB as my OS/software drive, it saturates at ~400MB/s and its more than enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any reason besides cost you avoided the 960 Pro?
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Any reason besides cost you avoided the 960 Pro?
    Oh its really just the cost. Of course the Pro gives you more writes but I don't need them as the software I'm writing is write few and read tons. Also, based on my 840 evo which is quite old now, the longevity of the these nand is understated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohkay View Post
    Oh its really just the cost. Of course the Pro gives you more writes but I don't need them as the software I'm writing is write few and read tons. Also, based on my 840 evo which is quite old now, the longevity of the these nand is understated.
    I have a Crucial m4 128gb ssd from 2011 that is still used.

I hear ya.
    "A flower.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You should really delete that signature, because it makes you look really dumb. Lathais is right, There are M2 sata and M2 NVMe
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    You're all a bunch of a-holes -.-
    Giving all the damn credit to Lathais.. pfffft!

Reminds me of a similar thread a very short while ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    No credit allowed for evil, not even a quote!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    No credit allowed for evil, not even a quote!
    #meanie...

The real use for the NVMe drive is going to be for your games and the load times and access latency. NVMe is pretty much worthless for an mundane app/boot drive, but for games that have very large assets to load, they're a noticeable improvement even over SATA3 SSDs. Whether or not that's worth the premium you'll pay is another story. If you hardly notice load times now, save the money for a bigger SATA3 SSD instead. If your load times look like they'll improve decently, go for the NVMe drive. Just be aware that typically an NVMe (M.2) drive will eat at least two SATA ports from your configuration, allowing fewer total drives in use on the main SATA controller, so if you run a system with a lot of drives, NVMe may not be feasible.