Thread: WoW Frame Skips

WoW Frame Skips

Not sure where I should post this, as this is ONLY in WoW. I did post this on WoW's official forums, but thought I'd post here, too. Gonna just copy/paste

Very frequently I get these gnarly frame skips. They interrupt me and screw me up. These happened prior to patch, but nowhere near to this extent, so I didn't pay much attention to them - and they'd go away with a simple client restart.

Today, however, they're all over the place, and restarting doesn't help. I've even reinstalled and repaired - no dice. I've tried turning down graphics, nothing. This is the only game this happens to me in.

I haven't tried turning off -all- addons, but definitely the non-essentials and no dice, not even in the slightest.

Please help

List PC specs plz.

My first thought is check task manager when this is happening, is disk usage at 100%? Windows likes to do weird shit like "install worker" will peg a hard drive at 100% and could cause the issues you describe. Also an old failing hard drive cause cause this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    List PC specs plz.

My first thought is check task manager when this is happening, is disk usage at 100%? Windows likes to do weird shit like "install worker" will peg a hard drive at 100% and could cause the issues you describe. Also an old failing hard drive cause cause this too.
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 @ 2.70GHz
    Broadwell 14nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0GB
    Motherboard
    Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MS-1773 (SOCKET 0)
    Graphics
    HP 2711 (1920x1080@59Hz)
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 5600 (MSI)
    3072MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M (MSI)
    ForceWare version: 378.92
    SLI Disabled
    Storage
    119GB KINGSTON RBU-SMS100S3128GD (SSD)
    931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA)
    Optical Drives
    DiscSoft Virtual SCSI CdRom Device
    DiscSoft Virtual SCSI CdRom Device
    Audio
    Focusrite USB Audio

I run WoW off my SSD - which works way better than the HDD in like - every way.

"Disk" under task manager seems to waver between 0 and 2% (?)

These skips happen all the time, or just when you load into the game or a new zone?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    These skips happen all the time, or just when you load into the game or a new zone?
    They -seem- to happen whenever something "happens" in game.

This can be anything from getting a buff, to getting targeted with a raid mechanic (died a few times, thanks to this), to even guildies talking or getting achievements.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should still try to turn off all addons and not just the non essentials, just to be sure that it isn't just outdated ones doing this.

Either that or just update all addons as they usually fuck up a lot when new major patches are applied to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jeleopard View Post
    They -seem- to happen whenever something "happens" in game.

This can be anything from getting a buff, to getting targeted with a raid mechanic (died a few times, thanks to this), to even guildies talking or getting achievements.
    Have you tried enabling or disabling vsync? I know on my monitor everything seems choppy as hell with vsync off. Other than that not sure what to tell you, you have already tried a lot of the things i would have suggested.

You can also check temps make sure you arent throttling, google cpuid HWmonitor. The important temps are CPU package and GPU.

Do you have any programs besides wow open something like chrome or firefox?

My money is also on an old add-on messing with stuff, especially if you're like me and haven't significantly updated your UI since WotLK. Only mod I think I've removed was a scrolling combat text add-on that did exactly what you describe as the symptom. Turn 'em all off, see if the problem goes away (run some crappy raid finder boss like Xavius to get a quick snapshot of raid performance while getting constant buffs), then turn 'em on bit by bit.
    Super casual.