Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Does your car have a back up camera?

Seems like you'd be a fool to get a car without it these days.

It is so helpful when parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Yes it does, I still turn around to back up though. I use the camera when I am parking.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it also makes it much quicker to park.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. My car is almost 13 years old. It doesn't even have antilock brakes.

My next one probably will.

And they're going to be mandatory for new cars come next year.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    I had to get a new vehicle this past year after my truck I got at 16 gave out. My new car has a back up camera and I agree, it is awesome. I think some people don't understand you aren't supposed to be entirely reliant on the camera, and you are still supposed to be aware of your surroundings and turn around to look. However, it is a great piece of technology that helps a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have one because my 2004 Accord hasn't given up yet. Great car really, but a bit behind on the tech these days.

My car is from 1999, so no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    My car is from 1999, so no.
    Fuel economy must suck.

I drive a 2006 Toyota Corolla. It doesn't have a back up camera. It has a little over 150,000 miles on it. I'll drive it until it doesn't make financial sense to try to keep it running. My next car will be a similar type of car; fuel efficient, reliable, and cheap. That's all I care about.

I can drive and park perfectly fine without a backup camera and I've never had any issues. If I can save money by not having a backup camera when I purchase my next car then I absolutely will. If it's only a very small difference in price like maybe $200 at most, I'd consider getting one. If it costs any more than that then I'll pass. If it's standard on the car that I want and I have no choice then I guess I'll have one.

That said, I would like to have a front/rear dash cam. I know those often include a rear camera you can hook up to your mirror. Would be a nice feature, but the primary purpose would be so that I could prove other people are at fault in accidents. Specifically when people try and sue me when the accident was their fault, which has actually happened to me.
    Last edited by Docturphil; 2017-03-30 at 09:21 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I do have front and rear parking sensors though, as they come standard on Motability cars. Whilst I love new tech, I do think people are becoming too reliant on it in cars. The amount of new drivers I see not using dipped lights at night and just running DRL is silly. I stopped behind one of these drivers and mentioned to him about it in the shop, and his reply was " Oh sorry. I'm used to my mums car automatically turning on lights. Just got my own car."

15+ Year Old Account
    No, because my car is an old piece of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    I'm not a woman, I'm a good driver.

10+ Year Old Account
    no it just has an annoying beep

10+ Year Old Account
    Cars too old for it. Once I have a more solid job I plan to get a car thats more up to date.

All cars model 2017 and above are required by law to have one. I'll be getting one soon

In the US, a backup camera system is required in all new cars by model year 2018 (the cars that come out at the end of this year). You will not be able to buy a new car from 2018 onward that does not have one. This law went into effect a few years ago and they gave auto makers a time period to update their vehicle lines.

Used cars do not have to be upgraded, they are grandfathered into the system.

I just realized I forgot to answer the question. I bought a new car last year, so I have a rear camera system, and I like having one, but the one in my car isn't as good as others I have seen.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an additional question... If you have driven a car with a rear camera system, do you prefer the display of the rear video to be down in the dashboard (in your infotainment system), up in the mirror, or on a display on top of the dashboard?
    Last edited by Daveon; 2017-03-30 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveon View Post

Here's an additional question... If you have driven a car with a rear camera system, do you prefer the display of the rear video to be down in the dashboard (in your infotainment system), up in the mirror, or on a display on top of the dashboard?

I prefer the camera. When I first saw a backup camera I thought it was stupid but after owning a car with one I love it. I use it when I am backing into tight spots and when I pull into my garage, I found that when I line the red bar with the edge of my garage door I park in a perfect position. I still look over my should though so I can see people walking in front of me at stores and such, so yeah I use both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully in the near future. I've tried it before in a buddies car and it takes some getting used to but it's pretty helpful. Which is good because I'm pretty terrible at reversing lol

Trucks in the US require them now. It will be a mandatory safety device on all vehicles going forward.

Fuel economy must suck.
    1993 honda gets about the same gas mileage as a 2016 honda fit
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.