Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

5 must-have apps for undocumented immigrants

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/30/tech...mmigrant-apps/

President Trump's efforts to crack down on immigration have left millions of undocumented immigrants with an uncertain future in America. In response, digital entrepreneurs are using technology to help support this community.
    These five apps and tools arm undocumented immigrants with knowledge, safety and moral support without compromising privacy.
    1. Notifica
    With a press of a button, undocumented immigrants who are the subject of a raid by Immigration and Customs Enforcement will be able to use the Notifica app to send customized messages to 15 personal contacts. The app hasn't launched yet, but it has more than 7,000 people on the wait list to download it.
    "Notifica is an app that gives people control of their own destiny," founder Adrian Reyna says. "I want to do everything in my power to make sure that individuals aren't afraid and they are able to live a life with dignity and respect that they deserve."
    An undocumented immigrant himself, Reyna wanted to reduce fear by helping undocumented immigrants contact friends and family when they are in trouble.
    He says the app will make sure undocumented immigrants don't compromise their safety or their contacts' safety. The messages are encrypted, and all records disappear after the message is sent.
    2. Arrived
    A hub for immigration resources, Arrived displays the latest immigration news and educates users on the deportation process. It also offers English lessons, answers popular queries like "how to write a resume" and offers a map with every non-governmental organization, law clinic and sanctuary city in the United States.
    Arrived was founded and created by two full-time Googlers, William McLaughlin and Eduardo Gaitan.
    "I immigrated to the United States from Colombia when I was younger, so I've gone through the whole immigration process by seeing firsthand how difficult it can be," Gaitan says. "And coupling that with what's been going on in the news with immigration, I wanted to be involved in some way."
    The news feed provides analysis of the latest legislative proposals and actions coming out of Washington, so immigrants can separate facts from fiction. Arrived also provides a Know Your Rights card.
    "There is a widespread, resounding, deafening silence in the tech community for the undocumented immigrants, and we're just trying to fill that void," McLaughlin says.
    3. Tarjimly
    Tarjimly is a Facebook messenger bot that connects a community of 2,000 volunteer translators with immigrants and refugees in real time. The bot plans to launch globally this summer.
    The connections between the immigrants and volunteers are anonymous, and the only information shared is the translator's first name. Other information is up to the participants to share.
    "Tarjimly is extremely important given a political climate where Trump can ban immigrants and refugees," co-founder Atif Javed says. "Technology must help us stick together in Trump's America and eliminate the fear we have of suffering people."
    4. Cell 411
    Although Cell 411 isn't specifically for undocumented immigrants, the app recently rolled out features for that population. It allows users to contact close friends and family when being confronted by ICE officers.
    "I'm an immigrant myself," says founder and CEO Virgil Vaduva. "I remember when my visa expired and how terrifying it was."
    The app allows users to stream and record live videos that cannot be erased. It can also send out users' GPS coordinates and includes a ride sharing option.
    The number of Hispanic users has spiked since Trump's inauguration. There are 72,000 active users.
    5. RedadAlertas
    This soon-to-be-released app will deliver verified and crowdsourced data on ICE raids, checkpoints or other confrontations happening nearby.
    Once a raid is verified, RedadAlertas will send alerts to other users in a 10- to 20-mile radius. RedadAlertas will also help community organizers, journalists and activists respond to and protect immigrants.
    Created by Celso Mireles, a former undocumented immigrant and tech activist, RedadAlertas is being supported and refined by volunteers.
    Hopefully this will help some people.

Deleted
    Shouldn't both cnn and these app makers be put under investigation for aiding and abetting criminals?

7+ Year Old Account
    ICE needs a cyberwarfare division, looks like. Hack and crash these apps, since they're being used to aid criminals.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

10+ Year Old Account
    12 million human beings. Some people have no empathy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    Shouldn't both cnn and these app makers be put under investigation for aiding and abetting criminals?
    Maybe the apps were made by the US Government, as a way to track dumb illegal immigrants.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    For criminals in my country illegally? Nope, I sure don't.

For legal American citizens, yes I do.
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    For criminals in my country illegally? Nope, I sure don't.

For legal American citizens, yes I do.
    They're still human beings. Many if not most of them contribute greatly to society.

7+ Year Old Account
    No one wants them dead...just to follow the rules.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Can't imagine many have the luxury of even owning a smartphone.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

7+ Year Old Account
    They're still human beings. Many if not most of them contribute greatly to society.
    Irrelevant. They broke the law by coming here illegally. F 'em.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    No one wants them dead...just to follow the rules.
    This too. 100% agree. I don't give a dmn what color they are or where they are from; those things don't matter. You want to immigrate to the US? Come on, but ....

Follow. The. Rules.
    Last edited by Berengil; 2017-04-01 at 07:26 PM.

Number of refugees provided shelter by Tennisace to date 04/01/2017 : 0 and counting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem with you hunny, is you think anyone who even thinks the slightest negative about immigration is automatically a racist. The majority are simply people concerned with the sways of people flooding into other countries unwilling to adapt into that culture.
    Course you don't bring up what this has caused in those countries, the violence, the extremists, the raping of women in those countries. And anyone speaking out about it gets shot down.

I'm pretty certain those women in places like Sweden have legit reason to have concerns about mass immigration.
    #boycottchina

5. RedadAlertas
    This soon-to-be-released app will deliver verified and crowdsourced data on ICE raids, checkpoints or other confrontations happening nearby.
    Once a raid is verified, RedadAlertas will send alerts to other users in a 10- to 20-mile radius. RedadAlertas will also help community organizers, journalists and activists respond to and protect immigrants.
    Created by Celso Mireles, a former undocumented immigrant and tech activist, RedadAlertas is being supported and refined by volunteers.

Has 4chan been notified of this?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Irrelevant. They broke the law by coming here illegally. F 'em.

- - - Updated - - -

This too. 100% agree. I don't give a dmn what color they are or where they are from; those things don't matter. You want to immigrate to the US? Come on, but ....

Follow. The. Rules.
    Do you follow all the rules?

Hmm maybe I should create an app that warns you when your Visa is about to expire.

Sure, right after we shut down all those grocery stores that feed them.

ICE needs a cyberwarfare division, looks like. Hack and crash these apps, since they're being used to aid criminals.
    The only one that looks illegal is the 5th one, because that one helps illegal immigrants avoid detection. The rest don't appear to be violations of law, because there are many ways people can help illegal immigrants without that action being illegal. You can't transport them with the purpose of helping them break the law, you can't harbor or conceal them, you can't encourage them to break the law to get here, and you can't aid anyone in committing these actions. And that largely seems to be it.

The law seems to draw a vague line between illegal and humanitarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

#2 and #3 at the least seem completely innocuous. WoOoOoOo, translators, ban it!

The others I do admit seem like they would be too easily abused for criminal activities. #5 in particular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a great way to make money off the deportation fears and slap a digital signature on illegal immigrants in America for the NSA to sniff up all whilst appearing to be sincere. What quality human beings these app developers are.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    #2 and #3 at the least seem completely innocuous. WoOoOoOo, translators, ban it!

The others I do admit seem like they would be too easily abused for criminal activities. #5 in particular.
    Taking another look at number 5, it looks like it'd even help human traffickers if they are able to convince journalists they're helping. -_-
    Last edited by Darknessvamp; 2017-04-01 at 08:16 PM.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Lol this will make their lives so much harder, not easier. "Hey guys let's give must have app for undocumented immigrants so their info will be easier to find."