Like the vast majority of Mages I began this expansion playing Fire.

Since Fire now sucks, I have been experimenting with Frost although I am crippled from committing to a full move as I fear that if I do so, Blizzard will instantly buff fire. I am keeping both specs consistent in the very short term while I wait for new information.

However, as I experiment with both at the same time I keep coming back to something much more fundamental.

The specs play way too similarly to each other. Previously they didn't step on each others toes because Fire was PVE and Frost was PVP and that given them defined niches but in the modern WoW where every spec should be usable in every situation, the similarities between Fire and Frost are just overwhelming.

Both specs are based on a core nuke. Both specs generate procs. Both specs rely on managing those procs correctly in order to maximize damage. Both specs also have passive cleave components. Both specs do have minor differences in terms of mechanics used to enhance flavour, but fundamentally they play the same.

And I've played a lot of ranged dps specs since Legion launched. Shadow and Balance play very differently from any Mage specs. Hunters are in a class of their own. The only spec that plays similarly to Fire and Frost IMO is the elemental Shaman...but it is on an entirely different class.