Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Killing 13 people is an outcome, not an act. If you throw a grenade out your window, you should be punished regardless of whether or not you kill anyone, but the punishment shouldn't be vastly more severe just because you happened to injure or kill someone, aside from maybe a stiff financial penalty to compensate those people or if it seems likely that you'll do it again and there's no way to stop you from doing so. That's the only justifiable use of prison: separating people who are an ongoing threat to society with a high chance of offending again if they cannot be stopped another way. In this case, you could just take away his license or put him under house arrest. Prison is above and beyond what is necessary to prevent him from repeating this.
    Driving into people is very much an act unless they materialized from thin air or fell from the sky in front of the car. And why should I be punished for throwing a grenade if I don't kill anyone? What if the grenade doesn't go off? I haven't mentioned pulling the pin before throwing it and the hypothetical killing could have just as well be caused by velocity of the grenade. Or there could be a pond outside of the window. So even if it explodes, unless someone was swimming there, why should I be punished particularly harshly for blowing up a frog (I assume you postulated the punishment for merely throwing a grenade based on potential material damage)? In which case, there should be a vast difference between punishment because the circumstances of blowing up a frog and blowing up people is vastly different. And people driving without a license or violating house arrest are things that occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    I heard that distracted driving has long since surpassed drunk driving when it comes to number of lives claimed.
    Well it's a very general term for a number of different things.. so yeah, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    This person only got 5 years texting and killing. And she tried to walk away from the scene. In addition she also has a prior vehicular manslaughter conviction. That was California though, not Texas.
    http://www.ddfn.org/texting-driving-can-prison/

Tougher laws will not prevent people from doing the crime. Capital punishment has proven this. People simply think they won't get caught. We just need to make so a driver's phone is disabled while driving. Or at the very least they can't be texting or emailing.
    It may not deter crime, but it may reform the perp and guarantees keeping him/her out of society for a while since they have proven to be dangerous. It's impossible to find the perfect sentence but 2-3 years per life taken via accident/neglect/etc is fine by me. Could be different for others.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    It's an accident, I guess, but to me it stopped being an accident (something you have no control over) when he kept going into oncoming traffic yet still kept using his mobile.

"He kept going off the road and into oncoming traffic and he just kept doing that," said Kuchler, who followed the truck for at least 15 minutes.

If you did this once, you'd stop (if got half a brain cell) texting or pull over. If did this twice or more, than it's no longer a plain old accident. You're an idiot & deserve everything you get, especially as this has caused the deaths of 13 people & all that that brings.

I was sub-contracted years ago & contractor kept phoning me whilst I was stuck on motorways, so I just ignored the call. Eventually I passed phone to kid helping me for the day & told him to tell him that if he called me again, I'd drive back to mine hundreds of miles away & he could pick his van up any time. I'm fairly sure whoever the kid was texting could've waited until later.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Driving into people is very much an act unless they materialized from thin air or fell from the sky in front of the car.
    I'm inclined to believe that "moral luck" is a philosophical mode of thinking in which life is an rpg where people spawn randomly. Guy had bad rng, nothing else.

5 years in prison, driving taken away for ever. 10% of his income given to the familys. It costs too much to keep someone in jail for the rest of their lifes. Also he killed 13 people. Why waste another life in prison.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Where is the mugshot?

The real crime here is that they've been cracking down on eating and driving.

I don't have to look at my bacon cheeseburger to eat it! There's never been a crash where food was involved that wasn't lethal! It's less likely than crashing on a marijuana high! People only drive slower and safer with salty fingers!

Why the fuck were phone shitstains allowed to destroy my safer, more delicious habit? I say we execute people if we find they had an active cell phone and they're involved in collision. Make them turn that shit off completely.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly think people texting or taking selfies while driving are my trigger.

I instantly jackiechandafaq?