Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Should I even bother trying?

BM Ilvl 884 equipped, around ~500K dps single target.
    Only Prydaz, KBW trinket and TAPC ring legendaries to choose from.

Only switched to BM hunter as main ~2 months ago, my trapping leaves a bit to be desired...

Quote Originally Posted by smurftech View Post

Only switched to BM hunter as main ~2 months ago, my trapping leaves a bit to be desired...
    I would wait until you have a higher ilevel, but trapping is definitely not required. Countershot and Intimidation can take care of most of the interrupts and you can use Misdirect + Shell Shield pet ability (Quilen/shale spiders/turtles/beetles all have it) to keep your pet alive through ones you can't get. Definitely do use Prydaz when you start working on it. I used the ring as my second, I liked having the tankier pet without losing the dps. That also gives Last Stand as another oh shit button if you need it. Dps isn't really the issue so much as being able to play really well for a really long time as well as simply having enough stats to survive things. There's no enrage timer, so you can take it slow. More adds do spawn later, but I think it's related to health % rather than time (though I didn't exactly test it-but I was seeing more spawns consistently when he was at low health regardless of how fast or slow I was taking it).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebyrd View Post
    I would wait until you have a higher ilevel, but trapping is definitely not required. Countershot and Intimidation can take care of most of the interrupts and you can use Misdirect + Shell Shield pet ability (Quilen/shale spiders/turtles/beetles all have it) to keep your pet alive through ones you can't get. Definitely do use Prydaz when you start working on it. I used the ring as my second, I liked having the tankier pet without losing the dps. That also gives Last Stand as another oh shit button if you need it. Dps isn't really the issue so much as being able to play really well for a really long time as well as simply having enough stats to survive things. There's no enrage timer, so you can take it slow. More adds do spawn later, but I think it's related to health % rather than time (though I didn't exactly test it-but I was seeing more spawns consistently when he was at low health regardless of how fast or slow I was taking it).
    Thanks for reply, I'm hoping to be ilvl 900 ish in a couple of weeks so will try it then.

I'm so new to hunter, I only thought we had CS as an interrupt....oops!

Soloing the WQ mobs that have 50-60 Mill HP is so easy as BM, I guess this is a wee bit harder!
    Last edited by mmoc64fa8c7857; 2017-04-05 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks for reply, I'm hoping to be ilvl 900 ish in a couple of weeks so will try it then.

I'm so new to hunter, I only thought we had CS as an interrupt....oops!

Soloing the WQ mobs that have 50-60 Mill HP is so easy as BM, I guess this is a wee bit harder!
    Damage on your pet is very low, you don't even need a tank pet for it at all. The damage on you is mostly avoidable but some of it you just have to take and Pyrdaz will help with that along with Invigorate(or whatever our 2min CD heal is called) plus the heal on kill command damage from your weapon's trait.

Avoidable damage - earthquake rocks dropping from ceiling, Worm tunneling along the ground, fel surge(1shot on you or pet, must interrupt) and the X shaped ground target ability that spawns spikes underneath you. Taking dmg from anything other than fel surge is not life threatening on its own, but it will put you in a bad place and additional mistakes may it unrecoverable.
    Un-avoidable damage - Worm Screams, technically you can avoid these by CC'ing the worm but its quite difficult to manage CC on the boss and worm together so just eat them and focus on boss control until the end. When its just the worm alive, you can put all CC into preventing the screams.

Main things to be aware of;
    1. Interrupt all Fel Surges, these are cast by the Tauren Boss before and after(delayed a bit) each Earthquake he casts. They one shot!
    2. Kill the totem spawned by the Tauren Boss, it does a stun on you after a longish cast which causes problems with interrupts/CCs you need to be doing. It can be one shot by a cobra, so just target it as soon as it appears and kill it off.
    3. When you break the eggs that appear during earthquake, they leave a patch on the ground. You need to stand on/near them to guide the worm into them while hes burrowed but make sure to move out as the worm gets to you so you dont take dmg. These patches remove stacks from the worms 90% dmg reduction.

After you manage the interrupts, killing stun totems and remove the worms dmg reduction its just all about killing the boss and zerging the worm(survival legendaries) or wittling down the worm and boss together(no survival legendaries)

I think I did this completely wrong...but I attacked Tugar and he died in 2 hits. That left the worm. I had Prydaz and the healing legs. Just interrupted Sonic with intimidation and freeze trap when I could. Took about 15 minutes to kill the worm.

I haven't tried it yet. I think my itemlevel is a bit on the low side still (885; only recently switched back to hunter and I can't raid on a schedule so it's mostly pugs for me).

Looking from at the info here and the movies people made, it doesn't seem to be doable with a lower item level though.
    Lets look at the damage incoming:
    1) Fel Surge; this simply needs to be interrupted 100% of the time or you fail. This is the main mechanic of the entire scenario.
    2) Earthquake rocks; these could potentially hit you if you're not focused but should be completely avoidable
    3) X shaped ground effect, you shouldn't get hit by this whatsover
    4) Worm burrow

#4 is the only one that's a bit more tricky to dodge if you're also required to "kite him" into the sand patches.

Assuming you don't get hit much by anything. You should have enough healing (assuming no legendaries) from artifact traits (15% of KC damage as healing; 30% healing from AotT), possibly Spirit Mend and Exhilaration.

So that leaves the outgoing damage. As long as there is no enrage and you can get the worm low enough to kill him fast after Turag dies, or maybe even kill the worm before Turag, it shouldn't be too harsh.
    The only soft enrage might be the eggs; since they keep increasing in numbers as the fight progresses you might reach this soft enrage where it'll be too hard to kill the eggs before they hatch. They don't seem to always spawn close enough together to cleave them all down.

---

As for interrupting the Fel Surge, there are a few options:

#1: Counter Shot, obviously
    #2: Freezing Trap, can be hard to hit
    #3: Intimidation; but this has quite a long cooldown; not 100% sure if you can do it with just CS and Intimidation.
    #4: Misdirect + Turtle Shell (or similar pet ability); again though the latter has a rather long cooldown

Not heard much yet in this topic, but maybe interesting:
    #5: Misdirect + Aspect of the Beast (100 talent). With tenacity pets, AotB gives your pet 30% damage reduction, combined with the misdirect trait gives a total of 54.5% damage reduction, which should be enough. If you have Apex legendary (like I do) this might even be a very interesting option.

#6: Direhorn Reflective Armor Plating. Not 100% sure this works but I don't see why not. You just have to be careful if your pet is not attacking the boss (as the ability is based on the facing of your pet).

To me it seems easiest to just /focus Turag and then use a /cast [@focus] Counter Shot + /cast [@focus] Intimidate. (or simply @Turag, if you don't want to keep the macros.

----

Again though. I haven't tried it yet and I'm not sure how the overal damage incoming is and how stressful the actual event is. But it appears nearly all damage is avoidable in some way, and the boss doesn't have a strict time limit. That means that with great execution it should be doable "regardless" of itemlevel. It's just that it gets much much easier with good gear.

Deleted
    Well could say that BM one was easy
    From all stuff who can blow me up was the cast of chammy and ofc some run from the ground ofc i have roots legendary my second one who i used was roar 905 Ilv with 4 set and 41 traits i just have average of 500-550kdps till i kill the shamy you not need to rush to anywhere
    Most important thing here is to keep your pet alive shamy just hits him all of the time making your life way more easy
    Now i only need to wait to Expansion end to get MM one
    Last edited by mmoc2b5ad7a33a; 2017-04-05 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felthorn View Post
    I think I did this completely wrong...but I attacked Tugar and he died in 2 hits. That left the worm. I had Prydaz and the healing legs. Just interrupted Sonic with intimidation and freeze trap when I could. Took about 15 minutes to kill the worm.
    When did you do the challenge?

I did it yesterday afternoon.

How did Tugar die in 2 hits? He took me about a minute to kill, I'm 906 equipped and I was only dpsing Tugar.

On the other hand, after Tugar was dead, the worm was still at full hp but for me he didn't have the dmg mitigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbypro View Post
    When did you do the challenge?

I did it yesterday afternoon.

How did Tugar die in 2 hits? He took me about a minute to kill, I'm 906 equipped and I was only dpsing Tugar.

On the other hand, after Tugar was dead, the worm was still at full hp but for me he didn't have the dmg mitigation.
    Monday afternoon/evening. I was standing in the mouth of the cave, I was afraid of agroing them trying to get in front...I just hit cooldowns, KC, DF, DF and ... next thing I knew he was dead. My DPS was only about 200k so it didn't look like my abilities were hitting very hard. Then the worm started attacking me and the first sonic nearly killed me because Countershot didn't stop it. I couldn't get him to agro my pet...the 90% DR buff was still up so it took forever to kill him. I heard some of these challenges are bugged, maybe that is what happened.

Deleted
    Hi guys, my Run, took me 18 trys, Soulders and Prydaz -> w w w .youtube.com/ watch?v= DeP2f0VQvyo&feature=youtu.b e

Just finished it at 899 ilvl after about 35 tries. A lot of my wipes at the beginning were due to trying some different talent setups, and then just getting used to the mechanics and the rhythm of the fight, but after a while it just came down to whether I could go for the full ~8? minutes without making any mistakes. And it really did take a nearly flawless run at my ilvl to beat it. Used 3/1/1/3/3/1/2 talent setup with Shadow Hunter mask and Sephuz ring. Used what seems to be the "normal" strat of focusing on Tugar until he's dead and then burning the worm. I had my Spirit Beast out for Tugar and macroed the heal to FD so I'd get a nice heal from the Mask and the pet every 30 seconds. Once Tugar was down I switched out to the Core Hound for lust and went to town, alternating Intimidation/Frost/Turtle to cover the screeches. The Sephuz seemed pretty good from a DPS and focus generation perspective since there is so much interrupting, so might be worth trying if you're low on legendary options. Oh and a macro to target the fel totem, cast CS, then target back to Tugar was pretty clutch, even if it did mean that I had to stop using that button once Tugar was dead (I just switched it with a regular CS hotkey that I had on my bars). Had Rune/Fishbrul/Flask on.

Anyway, it was definitely frustrating at times, but ultimately very fun and satisfying to get him down. Reminded me quite a bit of the Vanilla Hunter quest bosses, which took similar levels of concentration and execution way back then. Hope my experience helps those that aren't quite "elite"-geared keep putting in the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Nythiz View Post
    I haven't tried it yet. I think my itemlevel is a bit on the low side still (885; only recently switched back to hunter and I can't raid on a schedule so it's mostly pugs for me).

Looking from at the info here and the movies people made, it doesn't seem to be doable with a lower item level though.
    Lets look at the damage incoming:
    1) Fel Surge; this simply needs to be interrupted 100% of the time or you fail. This is the main mechanic of the entire scenario.
    2) Earthquake rocks; these could potentially hit you if you're not focused but should be completely avoidable
    3) X shaped ground effect, you shouldn't get hit by this whatsover
    4) Worm burrow

#4 is the only one that's a bit more tricky to dodge if you're also required to "kite him" into the sand patches.

Assuming you don't get hit much by anything. You should have enough healing (assuming no legendaries) from artifact traits (15% of KC damage as healing; 30% healing from AotT), possibly Spirit Mend and Exhilaration.

So that leaves the outgoing damage. As long as there is no enrage and you can get the worm low enough to kill him fast after Turag dies, or maybe even kill the worm before Turag, it shouldn't be too harsh.
    The only soft enrage might be the eggs; since they keep increasing in numbers as the fight progresses you might reach this soft enrage where it'll be too hard to kill the eggs before they hatch. They don't seem to always spawn close enough together to cleave them all down.

---

As for interrupting the Fel Surge, there are a few options:

#1: Counter Shot, obviously
    #2: Freezing Trap, can be hard to hit
    #3: Intimidation; but this has quite a long cooldown; not 100% sure if you can do it with just CS and Intimidation.
    #4: Misdirect + Turtle Shell (or similar pet ability); again though the latter has a rather long cooldown

Not heard much yet in this topic, but maybe interesting:
    #5: Misdirect + Aspect of the Beast (100 talent). With tenacity pets, AotB gives your pet 30% damage reduction, combined with the misdirect trait gives a total of 54.5% damage reduction, which should be enough. If you have Apex legendary (like I do) this might even be a very interesting option.

#6: Direhorn Reflective Armor Plating. Not 100% sure this works but I don't see why not. You just have to be careful if your pet is not attacking the boss (as the ability is based on the facing of your pet).

To me it seems easiest to just /focus Turag and then use a /cast [@focus] Counter Shot + /cast [@focus] Intimidate. (or simply @Turag, if you don't want to keep the macros.

----

Again though. I haven't tried it yet and I'm not sure how the overal damage incoming is and how stressful the actual event is. But it appears nearly all damage is avoidable in some way, and the boss doesn't have a strict time limit. That means that with great execution it should be doable "regardless" of itemlevel. It's just that it gets much much easier with good gear.
    There's more damage than you're mentioning and it's unavoidable. The worm, when she's not underground, spits at you and does Sonic something-or-other. The sonic whatever can be stunned/trapped, but there's no way you're going to be doing that while also dealing with Tugar, which means that you're taking that damage while he's up. It's actually not essential to kill the eggs before they spawn into worms. It's more crap you have to make sure not to stand in, but it's definitely doable. I found my attempts went much better when I just focused on cleaving them down with beast cleave/volley rather than trying to get them down before the eggs hatched. Getting the interrupts was more important.

I also disagree with the people who say that a tank pet is not necessary. Now, most of them have had a higher ilevel than me, but I found the high health of the tank pet gave a greater margin for error, which is important when we're so undergeared for these. If you've got the ring, I think it's worth using so you can get the pet damage and the pet tankiness, especially at lower ilevels. A dps pet for me couldn't survive any but the first burst. My tank pet could survive a screwup much later in the fight.

Obviously, ymmv, but another 500k health on the pet helped me.

Firebyrd, what's your ilvl? I (899) ran tank pet for a bunch of attempts before finally switching to Ferocity and I didn't notice any difference. You have to interrupt the casts regardless of pet type anyway, so why not just use the dps pet?

Cool

Finally finished it before the end of mage tower... 886 bm /// legs + bracer + shale spider..... so its doable, just takes a while. P1 was was long for sure, just cant mess up the rotation, i messed up around 30% and just face tanked it really, tbh having him on me was easier than pet tanking, didnt have to run in for freeze trap. P2 worm was actually easy, with intimidation/freezing trap/turtle, and no stacks on worm, was gg.... So just get to p2 and you're golden... Did over 50 tries ) lol
    Last edited by qq6; 2017-04-06 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimelannister View Post
    Firebyrd, what's your ilvl? I (899) ran tank pet for a bunch of attempts before finally switching to Ferocity and I didn't notice any difference. You have to interrupt the casts regardless of pet type anyway, so why not just use the dps pet?
    I'm at 895. My tank pet could survive me missing an interrupt with ~200k hp quite a bit further into the fight, not just the first couple, so a ferocity pet would definitely have been dead for me under the same circumstances. As I said, it allowed for a greater margin of error. Having last stand also helped with that and I used it successfully to have my pet survive on a few fights. I do have the ring and was using it, so I wasn't losing dps, but my dps was embarrassingly low for the fight anyway, so I think for some people, having a greater margin for mistakes will be more helpful.

ilvl 877
    Mantle and belt
    4 piece t19
    Normal wolf pet in ferocity
    2/2/2/1/3/1/3
    Artifact rank purchased: 42 (2 pack leader and 1 unleash the beast relic)
    Macro use: totem target cobra, md pet for dmg reduction

1st attempt: Don't even want to mention about it. Got overwhelmed by mechanics and died on the fel burst after first quake.
    2nd attempt: Got Turag to half health (I always start of with Turag as I haven't reach a point where dying from other sources of damage is a concern yet), died from a miss fel burst.
    3rd attempt: Got Turag to half health, missed a totem and got stun+fel burst gg.
    4th attempt: Got Turag to less than 10%, missed a totem and got stun+fel.

My point is, despite haven't complete this, I am quite sure that it is doable without any healing legendary, even with my ilvl (set bonus and so do play a part as I had almost 100% bw up time). For those starting to learn this encounter, my advise is to not worry too much bout the worms for starting, just focus on Turag's mechanic, especially the interrupt and dodging X. When you got the hang of this basic, you move on to polish your movement on quake phase including killing eggs and so, as well as the totems. After getting the hang of it up to this point, it's all about practicing to execute it perfectly for as long as you can. As you can see from my limited attempts on him, I died from lost of focus. I can only do it midnight under dim lights after my kids are aslept so I'm normally not in a perfectly focus conditions, but with my experiences, I am very sure that this fight, past certain ilvl (definitely not 900+) where your KC passive heal could sustain the damage long enough, it's all about grinding down the mechanics perfectly. I wouldn't say it's doable in naked as those in vanilla, but it's definitely more of a test of concentrations than gear check. Of course, if you have say ilvl of 960, it's definitely going to make the fight a bit easier, considered that you might even sustain all the damage just by kc-ing due to the higher damage.

I'm just a casual at best so I wouldn't expect to one shot this fight, I know there are a lot of very skilled hunters out there (well, there's only 2 extremes in our class....) who claimed to have one shotted him, but I would advise any starter to not let such claims affect the reality and expectation of the fights, or you will burn out very quick. It's a continuously strategy polishing and focus test.

Just my 2 cents.

Deleted

i was 906ilvl. and i tried with Prydaz too, thats because i was too lazy to go to the bank to get the legs. At that time I didnt know how much they would have helped since i didnt read much the guides. I killed with 7 tries, which i thought it was a lot at that time maybe not so much i guess anyway I killed the boss and then went for the worm. I found the worm extremely difficult. On my first attempt i died since i couldnt survive the damage it deasl to me, second attempt i used bl potions and everything and was left with 10% hp. With your gear i think you cant survive this phase. However i read that you can cleave the worm and kill it in first phase? If i had your gear i would try that and try to kill the worm in phase 1 since in 2 its hard

Quote Originally Posted by Steridin View Post
    ilvl 877
    Mantle and belt
    4 piece t19
    Normal wolf pet in ferocity
    2/2/2/1/3/1/3
    Artifact rank purchased: 42 (2 pack leader and 1 unleash the beast relic)
    Macro use: totem target cobra, md pet for dmg reduction

I'm just a casual at best so I wouldn't expect to one shot this fight, I know there are a lot of very skilled hunters out there (well, there's only 2 extremes in our class....) who claimed to have one shotted him, but I would advise any starter to not let such claims affect the reality and expectation of the fights, or you will burn out very quick. It's a continuously strategy polishing and focus test.

Just my 2 cents.
    ^ This.

Seeing alot of people making stupid statements like its not possible without healing leggos or you need a tank pet etc. which is complete rubbish.

You need to go in prepared, have @Focus or/target macros setup to manage interrupts and totems, pay attention to your surroundings and learn the timing of abilities then split your damage between Tugar and the Worm so your burn phase with an enraged worm is minimal.

Yes the healing legendary items make it easier to fuck up and recover, but they don't grant a free challenge at all.
    Yes a tank pet lets you fuck up interrupts and recover, but if you interrupt properly you don't need one and the fight ends quicker with dps pet.

The challenge has been done by people ranging from 870-910 with various legendary setups including multiple videos of people doing it with full dps legendary setups. You have plenty of healing/survival sources, play your class to its fullest and don't concern yourself with the advantages some people have, they are a crutch and are not required.

My experience....
    Best attempt was with Tugar down and worm at 10% I must have done 30+ attempts just because of mistakes I did and my HP slowly going down or letting my pet die and being bad at trapping the tauren.

My preferred gear and pet -
    • Apex Claw (spec into AotB)
    • Prydaz (don't have the pants)
    • Basilisk (1 min shield). Can use turtle or beetle also. I found their ability suited to my playstyle

Macros -
    • Counter Shot on focus target as Tugar
    • Intimidation. Possibly might add a /tar Tugar first
    • Cast pet shield and MD to pet for addl 35% dmg decrease
    • Weak Aura - Big Wide cast and warning sounds when Fel burst is being cast
    • Weak Aura - Cast bar of 22secs once Tugar starts casting Fel Burst. Looking at logs he seems to repeat the burst every 20-22 secs. This helped me guesstimate when the next cast would come and plan for it
    • Weak Aura (taken from a disc priest post here on mmo) for Fel Totem spawn and Sonic boom
    • Weak Aura - Track the Fel hardened Scales stacks on the worm. It never worked but was just a good-to-know feature. Idea was to switch DPS on the worm soon as all stacks were gone so that end game would be easier

Things to remember -
    1. It's a long encounter and you need to be counting down mentally what each ability will be.
    2. In lieu of no DBM style warning you have to create your own warnings or mentally know what's coming next.
    3. Fel Burst rotation I used: Pet Shield+ MD, Counter Shot, Intimidation. As Tugar is about to die try to save Intimidation for the worm Sonic Boom
    4. Often the Fel Totem spawns just after an Earthquake and around the time Fel burst is casting. Keep your cool and handle Fel Burst. You have atleast 7-10 secs for the totem and it takes 1 CS only. Just ensure you are not in the path of worm else it will stun you for 2secs and deplete your HP.
    5. You can have the pet placed around the earthquake locations and just cleave the adds off Tugar. The stalacite hits the pet for 50K only so not a concern
    6. When the worm burrows look out which side it is going and accordingly place the stalacite patches in between. Try to have 2 patches blown during the first rush each time
    7. The worm burrow phase ideally is the no damage phase. You should plan to recoup maximum health during this phase via KC heals. Both pet and Hati KC should give 50-100K HP back. Plan to use your Shadow Hunter's Mask after a sonic boom or while Tugar is casting Earthquake
    8. When Tugar is around 20-25% HP left try to whittle away the worm's health. That way when the tauren is down you have less of the worm's enrage to worry about.
    9. Once the tauren is dead you have no need of a pet shield. There is time to dismiss him and pull out a Core Hound. Pop all cooldowns, lust, potions and show the worm its rightful place... Dead by your side!!

Let me know if you need the weak auras and can link them. I did link them earlier but can find the post. Happy hunting and for those of you who didn't get it this week, better luck next time!
    Last edited by palthis; 2017-04-06 at 06:14 PM.

Spec: BM Hunter
    ILvL: 882 (with 4pc)
    Artifact level: 38
    Legendary: roots of nordrassil (only had the one as this was my alt.
    Talents : way of the cobra, Stomp, post haste, bestial Fury, intimidation, volley, aspect of the Beast.
    Pet: Direhorn (tenacity)

Ok so i was undergeared quite a bit. I have been playing hunter since release of vanilla and was a hardcore raider up til cataclysm so i decided i would give it a go. I used a weak aura for the fel cast and a target macro for the totem. At this item level, even with misdirect and tenacity, i found that if turgar got a crit fel blast it would still 1shot my pet that is why i also specced aspect of the beast for more damage reduction. Like many others have stated, this technically isnt a dps race. I was pulling around 375k and the fight lasted just over 16 minutes (note i didnt switch and lust when it was just the worm). The boss was, at this point, spawning 6 eggs which were getting a bit annoying to deal with at the end causing quite a few wipes sub 10% on turgar. After turgar was dead i just dpsed the worm til it died.
    For the fel casts i would use misdirect bound with the direhorn ability (spell deflect) in case he wasnt looking at turgar so he could avoid being 1 shot and used a focus countershot macro for with turgar set as my focus so i never had to worry about what i was targeting when i had to deal with that mechanic. I used intimidate if i needed an "oh crap" interupt.

Side note: i did use freeze trap as an interupt a few times but only when i knew for sure it would hit him. I also used it to cause a slight delay in his after earthquake fel blast so i could spend a few wxtra seconds on the adds.
    Heroes get remembered.... but legends never die!