Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

ilvl scaling = 1 extra GCD (maybe)

The first thing I show is the health before the scaling (pre-7.2 health) by vendoring a piece of gear, then I put the gear back on and you can see how much the health rises.

Here's what you should be looking at: Take note of the pre-scaled health. I start the timer and attack normally (I didn't use any CDs), watch my damage meters on the left and pause as soon as the damage goes over the PRE-scaled health. That is where the mob would have died without scaling. Now note how much health the mob has left and how much longer it takes to kill him (1 global CD, accomplishing the goal the blue talked about).
    882 Enhance:

I did this same thing on a standard non-elite mob (the WQ just north of Meredil) as well and it was the same result.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Same thing but with as 879 Resto:

I'll save you the time of watching the video and tell you that it didn't even take 1 GCD longer, I crit through the extra health.

I was actually surprised by this, I would have thought that not having the extra DPS from stats that a DPS has that it would elongate that extra GCD. But I think that extra sliver of health is so insignificant it doesn't really matter what you're attacking as. Maybe it's different for different classes, resto is rather bursty with Lava Burst procs, but just the math off the top of my head (and I'm not a math whiz) makes me think it's still insignificant.

Also, if I'm making some logical error point it out. Kind of doing this on the fly.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2017-04-04 at 07:28 AM.

Thank you for taking the time to create a really long thread with a bunch of pointless text and videos to prove what everybody already knew.

But what are people going to rage about now? ilvl scaling frankly needs to be adjusted upward again, it's rather pointless as it is now. Players can adapt or quit. *shrug*

Deleted
    so, they added this, insignificant, thing into game so that we have more server side lag.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    But what are people going to rage about now? ilvl scaling frankly needs to be adjusted upward again, it's rather pointless as it is now. Players can adapt or quit. *shrug*
    But...why? Why should ilvl scaling even be a thing?

It goes against one of the very cornerstones of MMOs and role play games in general...character progression.

Ilvl scaling is only put in the game for one reason. To artificially stretch the relevancy of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    But...why? Why should ilvl scaling even be a thing?

It goes against one of the very cornerstones of MMOs and role play games in general...character progression.

Ilvl scaling is only put in the game for one reason. To artificially stretch the relevancy of content.
    Because since world content being relevant for longer is now a fact, running around oneshotting mobs for months will get old. I'm pretty casual in Legion - currently at 890 ilvl - and I fully support ilvl scaling so that open world can keep being not awful.

Open world will stay relevant because of emissaries and WQs regardless of scaling, the scaling just ensures that it doesn't suck.

iLevel scaling in open world only exists because blizzard badly screwed up gear scaling for another expansion

I think it's fine that stuff takes longer to kill, maybe even longer than it takes now - we probably shouldn't easily solo 5-man group mobs, etc.. but that should have been the case without any external scaling. There was no need for us to go from 150k at fresh 110 to dealing sustained 850k DPS in a single tier of content!

Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    iLevel scaling in open world only exists because blizzard badly screwed up gear scaling for another expansion
    Yeah it's a screw up considering they do it entirely on purpose literally every expansion. You're not for real, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Okay, so it's clear Ilvl scaling is pointless and should never be in the game. Now the fake elitist can go back to pretending that anyone besides a few heals and tanks thought this was too hard in anyway.
    It's clear because people screamed and frothed at the mouth over a minor change without thinking about what it meant? Ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post

I think it's fine that stuff takes longer to kill, maybe even longer than it takes now - we probably shouldn't easily solo 5-man group mobs, etc.. but that should have been the case without any external scaling. There was no need for us to go from 150k at fresh 110 to dealing sustained 850k DPS in a single tier of content!
    850k sustained? what sort of padding it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Okay, so it's clear Ilvl scaling is pointless and should never be in the game. Now the fake elitist can go back to pretending that anyone besides a few heals and tanks thought this was too hard in anyway.
    You not understanding it's point does not make it pointless.

Ilvl scaling went through several iterations, what we have in the moment is indeed just a minor increase in health.

"1 extra GCD" on the other hand is also wrong, perhaps for melees, but for casters "1 extra GCD" might become "1 extra cast" which makes you stand and severly reduce your comfort level if your class does not have easily accessible instant casts.

Quote Originally Posted by arr0gance View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to create a really long thread with a bunch of pointless text and videos to prove what everybody already knew.
    If everyone already knew then why are you so salty?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCream View Post
    The point is not that things take longer, it's that they're tinkering with the outside world because they can't be assed to create a proper power curve in the first place. What's the point in making any kind of progress when everything progresses along with you?
    Maybe because they are happy with the rate at which gear scales in raiding but they fell it has made world content obsolete?

The world content scales WAY slower than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    850k sustained? what sort of padding it is?
    prob means they scorpion boss, because every man and his dog is doing that on LFR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    The first thing I show is the health before the scaling (pre-7.2 health) by vendoring a piece of gear, then I put the gear back on and you can see how much the health rises.

Here's what you should be looking at: Take note of the pre-scaled health. I start the timer and attack normally (I didn't use any CDs), watch my damage meters on the left and pause as soon as the damage goes over the PRE-scaled health. That is where the mob would have died without scaling. Now note how much health the mob has left and how much longer it takes to kill him (1 global CD, accomplishing the goal the blue talked about).
    882 Enhance:

I did this same thing on a standard non-elite mob (the WQ just north of Meredil) as well and it was the same result.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Same thing but with as 879 Resto:

I'll save you the time of watching the video and tell you that it didn't even take 1 GCD longer, I critted through the extra health.

I was actually surprised by this, I would have thought that not having the extra DPS from stats that a DPS has that it would elongate that extra GCD. But I think that extra sliver of health is so insignificant it doesn't really matter what you're attacking as. Maybe it's different for different classes, resto is rather bursty with Lava Burst procs, but just the math off the top of my head (and I'm not a math whiz) makes me think it's still insignificant.

Also, if I'm making some logical error point it out. Kind of doing this on the fly.
    You're at 880 ilvl. Just above the "sweet spot" for killing stuff fast. Get some more gear and try this again.
    Mobs get way more HP at higher ilvls.

It's still the case of punishing people that put effort into the game however. One extra GCD or not and try doing this as a healer or a tank. It's way more than just one GCD at 920+.

The only point of this is to add more pointless grinds to an expansion filled with them.
    I'm not sympathetic you your loss of 1 second.

It's still the case of punishing people that put effort into the game however. One extra GCD or not and try doing this as a healer or a tank. It's way more than just one GCD at 920+.
    I kind of doubt it considering someone at that ilvl can do double my DPS but I'm willing to be shown.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The new DLC is hilarious as it pokes fun at this ilevel thing..

http://darklegacycomics.com/578

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Because since world content being relevant for longer is now a fact, running around oneshotting mobs for months will get old. I'm pretty casual in Legion - currently at 890 ilvl - and I fully support ilvl scaling so that open world can keep being not awful.

Open world will stay relevant because of emissaries and WQs regardless of scaling, the scaling just ensures that it doesn't suck.
    World content is not relevant content now. Why would someone that oneshots mobs do world quests for rewards? Thats beyond silly.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sympathetic you your loss of 1 second.

I kind of doubt it considering someone at that ilvl can do double my DPS but I'm willing to be shown.
    He won't do duble your DPS unless you simply don't know how to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    World content is not relevant content now. Why would someone that oneshots mobs do world quests for rewards? Thats beyond silly.
    Idk, why ARE they doing it if it's not relevant?
    And literally everything but the gear WQs are relevant for people's mains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    He won't do duble your DPS unless you simply don't know how to play.
    Maybe you'd do double my DPS if you knew how to play. My DPS for that mob is in the OP, people do double that.

Idk, why ARE they doing it if it's not relevant?
    And literally everything but the gear WQs are relevant.
    Yeah, why are they? The expantion is filled with stupid design choices, why not just add another one?
    The current dev team is utterly incompetent.