Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    I really would not be surprised if they came up with a bullshit excuse to get that info.
    Its not Like Trump gives a shit about any values that do not benefit him. Its a mystery why 36% of the Americans still approve of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Get away from what?
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Trump hates freedom.

Not that I'm for the government having the authority to get that person's information, but freedom of speech does not guarantee anonymity. Now there may be other aspects of the law that speak to this, but I just wanted to point that out.

Specifically the core concept of freedom of speech is that even if the government DOES know who you are, they are prohibited from taking action against you solely based on the opinions you have stated.

Like the NSA doesn't already know who it is........
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagscorpion View Post
    Not that I'm for the government having the authority to get that person's information, but freedom of speech does not guarantee anonymity. Now there may be other aspects of the law that speak to this, but I just wanted to point that out.

Specifically the core concept of freedom of speech is that even if the government DOES know who you are, they are prohibited from taking action against you solely based on the opinions you have stated.
    That's where freedom of privacy comes into play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Trump hates freedom.
    And his worldwide fanbase will lap it up.
    Freedoms for them are a right, but for those 'evul sjws'? They deserve nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's where freedom of privacy comes into play.
    Possibly, but freedom of privacy is a much more nebulous freedom than freedom of speech, and is a distinct amendment. Even so, it's still not freedom of speech, which is what people seem to be glomming onto.

Also, we violate privacy all the time with warrants. So in this case it seems they would need to give justification, but would not necessarily be prohibited from obtaining the identity.
    Last edited by Jagscorpion; 2017-04-07 at 02:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not that I'm for the government having the authority to get that person's information, but freedom of speech does not guarantee anonymity.
    Might want to double check that.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

interesting: didn't know there was a ruling, I see the rationale behind it.
    Last edited by Jagscorpion; 2017-04-07 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Like the rules against Violence and such, but refusal to ban people with hashtags like #killallwhites or #killallmen? Those Rules? I mean lets not pretend the Twitter moderators aren't hypocritical pieces of shit most of the time.
    Those people get banned though... eventually... like your argument makes little sense. You act as if you should never ever see anything against the rules.

Unless Homeland security can build a criminal case and bring subpoena, they better keep their ball shriveled. This is nothing more than abuse of power and an attack on first amendment.

Possibly, but freedom of privacy is a much more nebulous freedom than freedom of speech, and is a distinct amendment. Even so, it's still not freedom of speech, which is what people seem to be glomming onto.

Also, we violate privacy all the time with warrants. So in this case it seems they would need to give justification, but would not necessarily be prohibited from obtaining the identity.
    Well, it is linked to freedom of speech, albeit in a secondary fashion. The individual s have freedom of speech, and Twitter and those individuals have freedom of privacy. The government wishes to restrict the privacy of both in order to restrict the freedom of speech of the individuals. When/If it goes in front of the court, I am sure that both will be focal points for Twitter's case.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    The government is demanding to know who this Trump critic is. Twitter is suing to keep it a secret.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.33d3beac6cf9
    This is where Obama was smarter, they just recorded everything and already knew, damn Snowden.

But yeah they shouldn't have to let go any names if that person had not committed a crime.