Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws View Post
    You know if you keep talking like that you will ruin Tennisace's dreams of a worldwide Canadian empire run by Trudeau.
    Nothing would please me more than to help dethrone the Carebear Emperor of Marijuanaland...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Hey! No way, Scotland should be with us (the EU)!

No but Scotland shouldn't join any other country. They should continue to be their own country, but an independent one, preferably inside the European Union. Though if they go the Norway-route that's cool too (being part of the Single Market through EFTA membership). I think to win the hearts and minds of the Scottish people to vote Yes on independence they should aim for EFTA membership rather than EU membership at this point in time. Let us current Europeans figure out some shit and address some child diesels related to our common currency and non-existent common coast guard and military and shit and then circle back to considering full membership in a decade or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Nah, I'm happy with Scotland's mouse that roared approach, you take away the SNP you take away the roaring mouse.
    Independence would be an economic disaster and, unless they can hoodwink Scotland into voting leave, at some point they are going to have to ditch that policy. It would only take a nationwide left-leaning party that appeals to large parts of England, Wales and Scotland for them to disappear into history.

The Whigs/Liberals were a force in British politics once, Labour could be destroyed if it fails to sort out its leadership issues. No party lasts forever.

...except the Tories.

I would rather the UK stay whole and better still stay within the EU, but if Scotland does decide to go their own way and comes asking, I think they're pretty cool. We'd have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Now we just need a super awesome name for it
    Caledonada. Albanada? Some guy apparently made a flag.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could just take over the UK and force them to be part of Scotland. It's only fair right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    There is a demand to finally be free of being ruled by the folks in London. This option allows the Scottish people a chance to land on their feet.
    Not to join Canada. I am Scottish- trust me, no one here is clamoring to join Canada. Or if there are people they are a very small minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Deleted
    Think what you will of Nicola Sturgeon and her agenda, but she is one of the few senior British politicians who is asking questions of the future of the Uk post brexit. Everyone in the UK knows who Nicola Sturgeon is so I can only guess you would rather see one of the UK mainstream parties in control in Holyrood. The Tories have held little political clout in Scotland in around 70 years and until the Labour Party sort their shit the SNP will continue to hold power North of the border.
    I actually want to see Scotland governed properly. Be that Tory, Labour or SNP, either on thier own, or part of the UK.
    What should happen is that She waits until the Brexit deal is on the table and let know what ALL the positive and Negative ramifications are for Scotland should they wish to stay part of the UK or become independant in a none biased way, Then (and only then) They should have a referendum on staying part of the UK or going thier own way and remaining part of the EU.

The way she is acting at the moment, is absolutly not in the best interest of the scottish people.

Funny how Scotland wants Independence but then wants to run off and join another union where they get to say how Scotland is Run!

Lets be real this is and has always been Anti English bias propagated by a anti English political party that has always hated England!

Well guess what you can only say WE WANT TO LEAVE so many times before we English so OK we dont give a fuck just go!

Aye because Scottish independence is all about the English. Grow up.
    Then what is it about?

What has it been about for centuries?

10+ Year Old Account
    what do we determine as post brexit Britain, is that once the initial 18-24 month divorce process is over or is it once the uk has renegotiated existing trade deals and completed any new trade negotiations that may come along. The difference in timescale is potentially huge, any were from 2 years to 20 years.
    20 years would be closer to the "once in a generation" referendum statements that the SNP were talking about previously.

I get that life expectancy in Scotland is quite short, but even you lot typically live longer than five years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sdagdhfj View Post
    Then what is it about?

What has it been about for centuries?
    It is not really centuries old, 60 years is in its current form, with devolution calls going back about 150.

10+ Year Old Account
    Life expectancy in Scotland is around two years lower than the uk average, so will have zero influence on the timing of indyref2.
    My point being that it should be held in about 25-30 years time, not 2-3, otherwise it is not once in a generation.

If you are intent on doing something that will cause economic and political instablility if it succeeds, you do not do it at a time of economic and political instablility, or you are just throwing petrol onto a fire. The best timing would be when it will cause the least disruption, which will be at least a decade, certainly not now.

What does Canada get out of a deal like this at all? Just some minor territory acorss the atlantic and a needy population? Doesn't seem to be any value in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    What does Canada get out of a deal like this at all?
    Deep fried Mars bars, deep fried pizza, deep fried haggis...the gains for Canada are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Deep fried Mars bars, deep fried pizza, deep fried haggis...the gains for Canada are endless.
    United States is just south of Canada and no one fries terribly unhealthy foods like we do and Canadians are here all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    United States is just south of Canada and no one fries terribly unhealthy foods like we do and Canadians are here all the time.
    The Scots would take your fried food, then deep fry it.

Hey its good that we beat someone in heath foods!

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I actually want to see Scotland governed properly. Be that Tory, Labour or SNP, either on thier own, or part of the UK.
    What should happen is that She waits until the Brexit deal is on the table and let know what ALL the positive and Negative ramifications are for Scotland should they wish to stay part of the UK or become independant in a none biased way, Then (and only then) They should have a referendum on staying part of the UK or going thier own way and remaining part of the EU.

The way she is acting at the moment, is absolutly not in the best interest of the scottish people.
    This. This is all Scots really want. It's all I ask for. Wait until Brexit is over and done. Until that happens, run the country and prove to people like me that I can believe the SNP can run Scotland. Prove me wrong, and I'll vote for independance.

As I see it, Nicola Sturgeon is like a little Shih Tzu that won't stop yapping. People are getting sick of her constant yapping and will put her down. As much as the SNP is the best choice for Scotland just now, I'd rather vote for ANYTHING ELSE just to get her out.
    If she ran her mouth at issues in Scotland instead of independance every fucking day, Scotland would be an amazing country. What shocks me more than naything is she was shadow minister for education, health and justice, yet ignores all those issues in Scotland.... Staggering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye because Scottish independence is all about the English. Grow up.
    haha, I've been to scotland enough times, and so much of what I see there stems from the same way of life that comes from england, the same highstreet shops, the same businesses, the same practices and standards. For scotland to divorce from england, after its taken so much of its businesses and practices, its delusional to think scotland knows better, and this isn't just some bitterness based on some ancient grievances from generations ago.
    #boycottchina

Deep fried mars bars!

Wonder how many people voted for Brexit without even knowing how leaving the EU would effect the country. The masses are stupid and easily influenced, especially by nationalistic groups. Same would be true for a referendum of leaving the UK.