Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykee View Post
    Girls are in 99% of cases gonna play as a female character that they can make look pretty.
    Then there are guys which are either gonna try make the most slutty looking character in history or boundless ugly.
    If you add everything together an overwhelming majority of female character creations are gonna go for a pretty look.

But yeah, why make a female orc when you could make a male one with bigger shoulders and muscles. And if you are looking to make a female only, why would you choose orc female instead of a skinny belf for the demi-human look or troll female which is the closest thing horde gets to alien but humanoid enough. Only one type of person picks the orc female, and those are the ones that specifically try make ugly things for the sake of it, or maybe just hipsters.
    Oi I have orc female dk, they look amazing in plate, have fantastic battle ready stance (unlike belves) and they have great animations. And I find orc females to be decent looking.

Besides there are players that pick character because of animations, or how the gear looks on them, or how they envision proper class fanthasy.

For me it's fairly obvious that default looking races will be more popular, not everyone is into original looking stuff.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Deleted
    first world problems. beauty is subjective.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merillo View Post
    Why people have atraction on playing a female character being male is still a mistery for me after 12 years
    I played all vanilla and TBC with male night elf bow animation. It was more than enough

Quote Originally Posted by Psykee View Post
    Girls are in 99% of cases gonna play as a female character that they can make look pretty.
    Then there are guys which are either gonna try make the most slutty looking character in history or boundless ugly.
    If you add everything together an overwhelming majority of female character creations are gonna go for a pretty look.

But yeah, why make a female orc when you could make a male one with bigger shoulders and muscles. And if you are looking to make a female only, why would you choose orc female instead of a skinny belf for the demi-human look or troll female which is the closest thing horde gets to alien but humanoid enough. Only one type of person picks the orc female, and those are the ones that specifically try make ugly things for the sake of it, or maybe just hipsters.
    My my, what insight...

In my experience, it's a mixed bag. No such thing as "99% of girl gamers go for pretty lol" other than in the minds of stereotyping people. Female gamers will choose races based on the exact same metrics as guys. Personal taste, along with what they want from the character. Some will indeed go for pretty, others yet go for SMALL characters, some go for the biggest and bulkiest most bad-ass looking. I've met guy gamers that want female Blood elves for every character possible. I've met female gamers that prefer female troll characters etc etc.

I myself try to vary my characters, but I still gravitate towards race/gender combos I think look the best. Female blood elves, humans, Night elves and Draenei are at the bottom of my list over characters that look good all-around in gear as well as animations.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-04-08 at 09:23 PM.

quality thread right here ...

I'm a guy, and every game I play where character customization is possible, I make a female character. I don't go for slutty, or kawaii, or whatever. I try to make the character look as competent and badass as possible. I've never found the big-boobed, chainmail bikini stereotype to be very believable. I mean, sure, it's nice to look at, and who doesn't like boobs? But when we're talking about heroic figures, the more realistic the better, IMHO.

As for making characters "pretty", I lean more towards creating characters that are striking rather than beautiful. Facial tattoos, scars, unusual hairstyles, etc.

For example, here are some of my characters from various games that allow a decent level of customization:

EVE:

SWTOR:

Wildstar:

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure I'm not the average gamer. The target demographic for the design of most female characters in videogames(and movies for that matter) is a subject that's hotly debated. Sex sells, there's no question. Making female characters that are NOT stereotypical bimbos or supermodel-level beauty is only recently gaining traction. It's even possible to go overboard, like with what we're seeing in Mass Effect Andromeda.

IMHO, give players the option to make their character look however the hell they want. Cosmetic options are one of the things that has the LEAST impact on gameplay, so I so go crazy and let people do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    As far as I can tell from any source a quick Google search provided me, orcs, tauren, and undead are played as much or more so than draenei, which would contradict your theory.
    Male draenei isn't very appealing to big part of playerbase, it's the only race where males are underplayed in comparison to the general representation of the race. They have weird proportions and faces, and contrary to for example orcs, aren't that well established in WOW overall thematic. Female draenei has some parallels to female troll, both of them have nice posture and hourglass shaped body while their male counterparts are more monstrous than human-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrxz View Post
    So again, my question is: Which known WoW race could have attractive looking females?
    - vrykul
    - high elves (yes, I know how much controversy they spring in the subject of playable races)
    - shivarra (they're demons so it's questionable but on the other hand some shivarra are allied with the illidari)

I'm quite sure something could be made out of saberon too, there are many fans of cats & feline races, as long as it doesn't end up having the same issues as female worgen model.

Maybe something with botani too, if you know how Sylvari look in Guild Wars 2.

But yeah, I'm excluding all the non-standard body types (nagas, murlocs, centaurs, dryads, tol'vir etc.) and some that would pose big troubles with sufficient customization (ethereals, arakkoa), and then we have the ones that inevitably fall into "too monstrous / comical" type (hozen, jinyu, gnolls, quillboars, tuskarr, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    - vrykul
    - high elves (yes, I know how much controversy they spring in the subject of playable races)
    - shivarra (they're demons so it's questionable but on the other hand some shivarra are allied with the illidari)

I'm quite sure something could be made out of saberon too, there are many fans of cats & feline races, as long as it doesn't end up having the same issues as female worgen model.

But yeah, I'm excluding all the non-standard body types (nagas, murlocs, centaurs, dryads, tol'vir etc.) and some that would pose big troubles with sufficient customization (ethereals, arakkoa), and then we have the ones that inevitably fall into "too monstrous / comical" type (hozen, jinyu, gnolls, quillboars, tuskarr, etc.).
    Yeah, armor modeling would be especially interesting on races with 4 legs, like the centaur, dryad, or dragonkin.

I think simply going with more options during character creation for existing races would be a better way to go. Include sub-races in the mix, and create more facial options than the 5-10 we have available for each race now. There just doesn't seem to be any overwhelming need to introduce any entirely new player races.

Dragons certainly have attractive female models - they have the best slut mogs too!
    But it's hard to see how they would be balanced as a player race.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    Oi I have orc female dk, they look amazing in plate, have fantastic battle ready stance (unlike belves) and they have great animations. And I find orc females to be decent looking.

Besides there are players that pick character because of animations, or how the gear looks on them, or how they envision proper class fanthasy.
    This. This is the reason I usually end up with female characters rather than males. It's got little to do with "sex" (as in "gonna look at a butt for XYZ hours"), but rather the fact that female models often have, imo, better and more graceful animations, and doesn't look like they've been 'roiding for 20 years, which makes armour look better on them.

Also, the fantasy of the specific character plays a role in the choice, not to mention which voice actor I like the better (the latter not appllicable for WoW, obviously).

As per your example, orc female, I totally agree, they look amazing compared to their hunched and over-beefy male counterpart. Come to think about it, they actually look more like a RL athletic human male than human male does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    My my, what insight...

In my experience, it's a mixed bag. No such thing as "99% of girl gamers go for pretty lol" other than in the minds of stereotyping people. Female gamers will choose races based on the exact same metrics as guys. Personal taste, along with what they want from the character. Some will indeed go for pretty, others yet go for SMALL characters, some go for the biggest and bulkiest most bad-ass looking. I've met guy gamers that want female Blood elves for every character possible. I've met female gamers that prefer female troll characters etc etc.

I myself try to vary my characters, but I still gravitate towards race/gender combos I think look the best. Female blood elves, humans, Night elves and Draenei are at the bottom of my list over characters that look good all-around in gear as well as animations.
    Well females do prefer female characters by far. Sure, i cant show you a huge 100.000 questionare, but in my many years i have only met 3 girls that played a male character, and about 40-50 who played female ones. While small sample size, it does show something when there is this large a discrepancy.

People need attractive player characters to latch onto; anything to forget the pig they see in the mirror. This game needs fat, slovenly, playable female Ogres and it needs them now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by GSN View Post
    Harpies, nagas(since they have elf-like features), centaur. None of them would fit very well as playable races, though.
    Nagas are playable in next exp, you wot?

I would totally play as an ethereal (void expansion?). They'd be kinda weird but proportionately normal at least (humanoid). There are female ethereals right? I don't remember ever seeing any offhand but I assume they exist lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrxz View Post
    So again, my question is: Which known WoW race could have attractive looking females?
    Tauren females. Fap fap fap

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    People need attractive player characters to latch onto; anything to forget the pig they see in the mirror. This game needs fat, slovenly, playable female Ogres and it needs them now.
    If you want to play a fat character, play pandaren.

Quite the opposite, I think the game needs more skinny/flat characters, both male and female. Even female undead has large breasts...
    Something like the Nightfallen elves would be close, but perhaps be too extreme. It would be important to not make such a race too childish/pretty, if people want to play 10 y old lolitas they have plenty of Asian MMOs to choose from.

The Arrakoa have androgynous bodies, and as avians rightfully so. They'd make a great playable race.

I think the numbers are skewed because most people who roll hot sexy Femtaur, Femworgen, or Fempandas get harassed until they reroll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldrickXIV View Post
    Also, the fantasy of the specific character plays a role in the choice, not to mention which voice actor I like the better (the latter not appllicable for WoW, obviously).
    I wish WoW would offer different character voices in character creation menu.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    - vrykul

For cats/feline race, Blizzard had problems adding armor to druid forms. I think it would be great, if they would add at least visible shoulders and helm. But they at least added some new skins.
    But I think they intentionally added Worgens and Pandarens just for this type of audience.
    For Yrykul, they look like big humans. They have something like that in GW2 and they aren't very popular based on a few surverys I found online.
    Last edited by mmoc09d949bcd0; 2017-04-09 at 10:52 AM.

Half of my guild is made up of dwarf females, they are awesome