Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

This is an outrage! Is Trump to blame for increasing xenophobia?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...408-story.html

Unacceptable! I thought we left this stuff behind! Is Trump to blame for this? Has he demonized ethic groups and religions?

I am a proud American! When I see a person of Chinese descent or a Muslim I don't see a foreigner or terrorist! I see a law abiding American citizen!

To me this is a real Republican!

We know what he did when Americans didn't treat other Americans like Americans!

Who thinks we should deploy feds to that cabin?

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    We need cheerleaders to fix this situation. DONT ASK WHY JUST DO IT NOW.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

The increase in xenophobia is directly linked to the increase in media/news consumption. Sensationalist headlines and acts of terrorism anywhere in the world get more attention than happy/feel good stories, so they are given more and more time. It makes the world seem more dangerous and horrible than it is. When people are frightened, their empathy decreases and they become more fixated on protecting themselves and those like them.

7+ Year Old Account
    I kind of have a hard time believing some of the stories that are emerging... With that said, most racism I've encountered have been from other asians. Mainly koreans and chinese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump didn't make assholes, assholes made themselves. Trump gave the go ahead to express themselves by example but nothing more. I'd rather have assholes out in the open, than lurking in the shadows.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Is Trump to blame for this? Has he demonized ethic groups and religions?
    No

His rhetoric depended on people already having certain preconceptions, he did not cause them

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, Trump is not to blame for people noticing xenophobia more. He just brought more attention to the fact that it has existed and will continue to exist long after we are all dead.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Trump didn't make assholes, assholes made themselves. Trump gave the go ahead to express themselves by example but nothing more. I'd rather have assholes out in the open, than lurking in the shadows.

THIS
    People who insist on labeling everyone and everything Xenophobic, Misogynistic, Racist, Islamaphobic, and all the rest of the "protected class" related, snowflake coddling bullcrap are the problem.

You aren't anymore special or important than anyone else, except when your ilk make laws that make such.

Its all bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    You aren't anymore special or important than anyone else, except when your ilk make laws that make such.
    You know your logic works in the other direction, right?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

He may not have started the fire, but pouring gasoline on it isn't helping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I think all Trump has done is expose all the underlying xenophobia and used (and abused) it to win the Presidency. People who were secretly like this are now just publicly like this instead. I dont necessarily think there's more of it, but Trump not only shone a light on it, but took it and then plastered it all over his campaign and thumped his chest over it.

It's really just an evolved form of the Southern Strategy that is less specific against one race and is more just about hatred of all others in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    THIS
    People who insist on labeling everyone and everything Xenophobic, Misogynistic, Racist, Islamaphobic, and all the rest of the "protected class" related, snowflake coddling bullcrap are the problem.

Its all bullshit.
    Darn why can't we just go back to the good ol' days without women's suffrage and being able to own black people .

Also if something looks, walks, and quacks like a duck, then it's not a whale. Funny you have a problem with what is a part of language to use words to describe something rather than the behaviour they are describing lol.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Darn why can't we just go back to the good ol' days without women's suffrage and being able to own black people .

Also if something looks, walks, and quacks like a duck, then it's not a whale. Funny you have a problem with what is a part of language to use words to describe something rather than the behaviour they are describing lol.

The part you bolded suggested that no one is any more special or important than anyone else. How do you go from that to slavery and woman's suffrage? If whites and men aren't any more special than women or blacks then that argues against slavery and woman lacking the right to vote.

Don't worry bro, I can tell you're a virtuous white knight. You can stop now.

Nothing wrong with being xenophobic. If my people had been America would have turned out a lot different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taneras View Post

The part you bolded suggested that no one is any more special or important than anyone else. How do you go from that to slavery and woman's suffrage? If whites and men aren't any more special than women or blacks then that argues against slavery and woman lacking the right to vote.

Don't worry bro, I can tell you're a virtuous white knight. You can stop now.
    Nice of you to ignore the part where he mentioned laws that are apparently being enacted to make certain people "more important".

And oh no, you called me a virtuous white knight . At least you didn't use "virtue-signaling" because I know you lot tend to have very stunted vocabularies .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Do you not know the definition of xenophobia?

Hopefully not. Because if you do and you say something like that then you're illogical as fuck.
    I do and saying that isn't illogical but it's good to see you trying to expand your vocabulary... even if you are failing miserably.

Trump is a symptom of the problem, not the cause. A cyst is a symptom of an infection.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump is a symptom - he's making the patient (nation) worse by his existence, but he's hardly to blame for the burbling xenophobia and reactionary idiocy that dominates US politics (although, as the leader of the political party that does bear a goodly share of the blame for spending decades not merely supporting, but actively cultivating such reprehensible malevolence, he surely needs to be held accountable for it - though given his age and the likely timeframe for things to spectacularly fall apart in America, he'll likely die well before jury and gibbet draw nigh).
    Last edited by ringpriest; 2017-04-10 at 05:11 AM.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    You look ignorant as hell right now.
    Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing about you.

What 'increasing xenophobia'? Do you have a legitimate statistic that surveyed citizens asking them if they hated non-Americans or something? You know, instead of a single anecdotal event?

What has Trump said that would imply that he hates Americans anyway?

Also, what does this have to do with xenophobia to begin with? If the person is American, it isn't 'xenophobia', wouldn't that be 'racism' according to liberals? Or is that splitting hairs now and is racism and xenophobia now the same thing in order to allow more slander to be hurled at people you disagree with?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer