Any Fool-Proof way to gear up? (returning player)

I took a break by around the end of Emerald Nightmare, start of NH, my Ilvl was 860ish.
    So, I have been playing the last 4 days a LOT to catch up, but most of my ilvl increases were thanks to Obliterums.

To say my luck is bad is an understatement.

I only have 1 legendary still (JG), nothing for me ever upgrades, no matter what manner of content I do I don't get drops (EM Normal + NH LFR + NH Normal = 3 items worse than what I had)

And so now I'm stuck at 873 unable to do anything else, why? because everyone wants 900+, for everything, even trivial things. Nobody will take me.

I don't have fancy trinkets or set pieces or anything other than some Obliterum stuff, I still manage 450-500k dps single target. 800k-1.2M AoE which I suppose it's good for my run-down scraps.

I have been gambling nether shards where drops are guaranteed but not guaranteed to be good (I'm getting DS Relics and PvP trinkets [not the stat sticks, sigh] and Tiny Ooze in a jar, I mean... really??)

What is there for me to do? I don't want to join a raiding guild, or at least not as I am, yet I feel at the mercy of a dice.

Deleted
    I'm also curious for catch ups. I have been changing characters from one to another every month. Looking forward to do something more serious on 7.2 but first have to gear up Perhaps there are some good catch up by using alts? Like it used to be with alt characters and garrison missions in WoD ?

Mythic + is a great way to gear up. Also have you been asking people for loot in those raids? I find it very hard to believe that you killed 30 bosses and did not get a single upgrade, nor someone else in your group got one that you needed which they didnt, especially considering how low your ilevel is. If you 'gamble' with relinquished gear, why choose the riskiest option? Why not take gloves or legs or whatever. Im not even sure how you got PVP gear, they are supposed to be items from raids/world bosses. Do more mythic +, do your mythic +0 dungeons, do LFR. Mythic +8s drop like 880 gear or so and are not super difficult. You might have trouble getting into some groups, you can always get your key boosted. Also lower level mythic + are useful since it SEEMS the titanforge chance has been increased (i guess its anecdotal but from a ridiculously large amount of people so possibly reliable?). Theres plenty of ways to gear up. I have geared 2-3 characters from ilevel 800 to 880+ in 2-3 days.

I'm in the same situation as the op. 876 and can't get into much due to everyone putting "900 minimum" in their descriptions for EVERYTHING. Can I join mythic keystone runs if I don't have a key but someone else does? Like, does every person in the group need a key? Kind of stayed away from keystone runs because I'm not sure of the answer to that.

Farming shards to get relinquished gear helps. 880 base, can WF/TF to much higher plus you can choose the slot and it's entirely soloable.

WQ drop 865 base, worth doing to replace particularly bad gear. RF/Normal NH will give tons of upgrades.

M+ should be great. Just start your own group with your key, say you're looking for a carry, get carried through 3 chests and none of them will probably want the gear and will trade it to you, etc.

Basically just play the game and don't afk in town.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    I'm in the same situation as the op. 876 and can't get into much due to everyone putting "900 minimum" in their descriptions for EVERYTHING. Can I join mythic keystone runs if I don't have a key but someone else does? Like, does every person in the group need a key? Kind of stayed away from keystone runs because I'm not sure of the answer to that.
    Only one person needs a key. Usually, if you have a key for a popular dungeon, a powerful group will run you through no matter what your gear is.

assuming you're looking to gear up for raiding... why not just join a raiding guild for Tomb ?

at this point of the tier, many guilds are likely looking to fill gaps for the coming tier and more than happy to catch someone up a little on content others are weary of.

Fastest and surest way is doing invasions.

You get 2.500 shards on average on each. Two invasions is a 880+ piece on the slot you need it most.

Between invasions, do m+. Get your first key creating a group for regular mythic MoS on LFG. Then push it with LFG groups till it dies. Try to invite people on your gear type so they can pass you gear. The higher ilvl the pugs, the better since they'll carry you and will be more likely to pass you gear.

Then create your own nighthold raid pugs. Put in the title something like "Fast run 900+ for AP and legens". You'll fill it up with 900+ people fast enough.

Keep in mind that a half-almost full group drags attention more than one with just person in it. You might have to invite lower ilvl people so it "seems fuller" and replace them later with higher ilvl people.
    Last edited by Kethmil; 2017-04-12 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kethmil View Post
    Fastest and surest way is doing invasions.

You get 2.500 shards on average on each. Two invasions is a 880+ piece on the slot you need it most.

Between invasions, do m+. Get your first key creating a group for regular mythic MoS on LFG. Then push it with LFG groups till it dies. Try to invite people on your gear type so they can pass you gear. The higher ilvl the pugs, the better since they'll carry you and will be more likely to pass you gear.

Then create your own bastion raid pugs. Put in the title something like "Fast run 900+ for AP and legens". You'll fill it up with 900+ people fast enough.

Keep in mind that a half-almost full group drags attention more than one with just person in it. You might have to invite lower ilvl people so it "seems fuller" and replace them later with higher ilvl people.
    Dude you're evil... Lmao nice tactics.

Well, you can try not being a dick and create a group with lower level people, without kicking anyone and are progressing on content but will have to deal with the LFR-fest it would result.

Your choice

Sidenote, just for the lulz. Jday i was on a heroic Emerald Nightmare, not created by me. Was plaged with 850-880 people. Was worst than lfr, mechanics were totally ignored. People died like flies when Renferral swiched plataform (dps was shit too), when ursoc charged, when cenarius brambles... There wasnt a single boss we killed with more than half the raid alive. If you want to gear asap you dont want this kind of group

Edit: Oh! and you might want to do raid content early in the week (wed-thurs) and m+ later, because if you wait too much all the "good players" would already have cleared nighthold.
    Last edited by Kethmil; 2017-04-12 at 10:07 AM.

The fastest way to gear up is to roll tank. Lead the groups, do all the regular mythics fishing for WF/TF's. Then do M+'s. In the 880's you should have no problem getting groups to tank lower M+'s. Get a few WF's/TF's out of them and you'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by wink- View Post
    The fastest way to gear up is to roll tank. Lead the groups, do all the regular mythics fishing for WF/TF's. Then do M+'s. In the 880's you should have no problem getting groups to tank lower M+'s. Get a few WF's/TF's out of them and you'll be good to go.
    This pretty much. Tank or Healer is the best way to go since most PUGs are more forgiving of lower gear levels if you fill one of these rolls. Keep in mind that tanking has a bit of a learning curve especially in NH. Every boss past trilliax has some sort of tank mechanic that is important to the success of the group that if you ignore will probably wipe you.

Deleted
    I recently got my warrior to 900 ilvl in just a week. Here's how i did it.
    1.Fresh lvl 110 -Farm nethershards, get dauntless / relinquished items. Average ilvl after this - 840 (didnt have my 3rd relic)
    2.Ran all mythic 0 dungeons (i made my own groups). Average ilvl after this - 860.
    3.Got my 3rd relic. Average ilvl after this - 865.
    4. Made my own EN/TOV normal and HC. Average ilvl after this - 870.
    Now i would be lying if i said i didnt have some geared friends helping me but im fairly sure you an do this alone. so next i did NH normal and got to around 882 ilvl. with most ppls leeching their items to me. The trick to do this alone is to take your time, dont rush it and only get geared ppls. Doesnt matter you're 870, ppl like to be led and not lead. The next part is abit tricky and i doubt it you can do it but i got to around 890 by going to my guild's NH HC alt run.
    Now, if you're 890 you're already ahead of most of the ppls. While i know this might not be doable as easy as i did it if you dont have any geared friends, im going to tell you how you can do it.
    1. Farm some gold. with 80-100k you can buy a NH Normal boost run.
    2. Do your key and try to get it to +10.
    3. Make your own NH HC pug. As i said before most ppl like to be led and not lead. so instead of wasting your CD for the week do a pug and try to kill at least 4 bosses.
    4. Farm alot of nethershards. You can pretty much disregard everything i said and just go and buy relinquished tokens and get to 880 with no problems at all (tho your stats will suck mostly).
    5. Join a guild. This is probably the best advice i can give you. Im a mythic raider and i've been in casual and top 100 guilds. Here's a tip thats not the best idea but will probably help you alot. Most hardcore, semi-hardcore guilds do alt runs (actually this happened in most hardcore guild's i've been to) and in those alt runs most of the time they also bring along socials. IE last week we bought a social guy that was 862 DK, he got to 884 ilvl.