Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Should electricity be free?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Should electricity be free?
    Yes, just as water and other needed utilities. We're headed in that directly anyway with renewable energy. Internet access is also a part of modern life, and without it you're fucked. The only reason to keep paying for these utility bills is to make some wealthy person even more wealthier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Yes, just as water and other needed utilities. We're headed in that directly anyway with renewable energy. Internet access is also a part of modern life, and without it you're fucked. The only reason to keep paying for these utility bills is to make some wealthy person even more wealthier.
    I'm not sure where you live, but where I live electricity is provided by a private company. That is kind of the point of running a business.

As it stands now any private person can decline this service by investing their own money in a self sustained solar grid at their home. So yes, giving them your money is in fact optional.

Next you will claim that solar energy companies are just the rich trying to get richer.

It is an endless cycle with people like you is my best guess.

I'm not sure where you live, but where I live electricity is provided by a private company. That is kind of the point of running a business.

As it stands now any private person can decline this service by investing their own money in a self sustained solar grid at their home. So yes, giving them your money is in fact optional.

Next you will claim that solar energy companies are just the rich trying to get richer.

Yeah where do we stop...
    The only reason we keep paying for cell phones is to make some wealthy person even more wealthier.
    The only reason we keep paying for computers is to make some wealthy person even more wealthier.
    The only reason we keep paying for automobiles is to make some wealthy person even more wealthier.
    The only reason we keep paying for food is to make some wealthy person even more wealthier.
    The only reason we keep paying taxes is to make some wealthy person even more wealthier.

10+ Year Old Account

It's also an oligopoly. Not illegal, but the same reason why we have limited choices if any for ISPs. You have the illusion of choice. Meanwhile power companies are fighting back the adopting of solar. They're upset that they're unable to retain their profit margins.

Utilities shouldn't be part of the private sector.

http://www.consumerreports.org/energ...n-solar-power/

Except solar is different. Many people can provide it, and you can do it yourself. With utilities you don't usually have a choice cause there's only 1 wire or pipe going to your home. Again you don't have a choice.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2017-04-17 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Except solar is different. Many people can provide it, and you can do it yourself. With utilities you don't usually have a choice cause there's only 1 wire or pipe going to your home. Again you don't have a choice.
    Yeah imagine if you had 15 different cable, telephone and electric companies providing access to your home. The utility poles would be crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by sdagdhfj View Post
    Should Internet access be free?

Ok we live in a age where you can get free internet from your local starbucks for free but why do we still pay ISPs for internet access?

I know people will say 'Oh i dont want the government to give out free internet cause they will be able to track your viewing' BUT we now have where ISPs can sell your viewing habits to corporations for profit.

Should Internet access be a right like the right to visit a library or the right to have the police show up at your door free of charge.

Is having something for free really something to fear? I mean you pay taxes so the government can drop a 300 million dollar bomb on a bunch of savages armed with AK-47s! So why cant they support free internet access?
    It should be free, but it will never be free. Specifically in America, the money hungry companies, who pushed agendas like being able to sell our internet privacy, would never allow it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Yeah imagine if you had 15 different cable, telephone and electric companies providing access to your home. The utility poles would be crowded.
    You can't have competition in some aspects, and this is one of them. Capitalism isn't for everything. The more people get solar power, the more people who don't will pay more for electricity. That's just how capitalism works. ISPS who tend to be alone in an area, will do as they please. Like data caps, tiered plans, and slow service. And since a good deal of ISPS have vested interest in media, like Comast and Verizon, they want to throttle data speeds, like what Verizon did with Netflix.

Right now the internet is the backbone of the world, and you don't want greedy corporations to control it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    It should be free, but it will never be free. Specifically in America, the money hungry companies, who pushed agendas like being able to sell our internet privacy, would never allow it.
    Great thing about technology is that it usually moves faster than companies. Much faster. At some point someone will find a way around them. Some people get free internet, but they usually leech off other peoples paid connections. Some people have actually made their own ISP.